Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put down a deposit on a new-model Ioniq at the local dealers as a way to join the queue; details like colour & spec are up in the air! I've seen articles saying it's arriving this September.

What's the state of orders for the existing Ioniq 28, and is that going to affect things? Presumably if the price is similar, anyone ordering the 28 kWh who has been waiting ages would prefer to get the newer model. I can't see Hyundai continuing mfr of the 28 once they ramp-up the 38, so how is this all going to be handled? Is there a year-long queue for the 28 kWh model as I've heard in places? What if the 38 is a few £££ more than the 28, would there be an option to stick with the original order? That would suggest Hyundai would be obliged to continue making 28s until all the orders were satisfied, and that they'd stop taking orders for the 28 once they were ready to move over to the 38.

Am curious to know if there's any chance of me seeing a new 38 kWh Ioniq this year, or whether I've got a year to save up the pennies for it! :) But I wonder if a huge current queue for 28s will simply be transferred over to 38s and consume the entire production of these rather nice Evs! :eek::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I can't be sure but I seem to remember something about Hyundai had stopped taking orders for the current ioniq EV some time ago, maybe on this forum even. But could be wrong.

·
Registered
542 Posts
From what I have read, existing Ioniq unfulfilled orders have been switched to the new Ioniq, with a free cancellation clause to cancel when the car details become available.
I wouldn't imagine this would affect very many customers though, as most would have been awaiting the new release, plus the well known fact that they have always been difficult to actually get hold of anyway.
I still fear the same will be true with the new release.

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
452 Posts
My dealer is not taking any pre orders yet and has not been given any info yet. He has promised to contact me as soon as the y know anything further. However I doubt I will be able too afford it even when they do come out.

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
452 Posts
It is annoying as I think the Ioniq Electric would suit me down to the ground.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hyundai had a decent selection of nearly new Ioniq EVs on their site last I checked...

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Yeah but they are asking silly money for what is essentially a 28kWh EV. Don't get me wrong it's a great car and I would be interested in buying a nearly new 28kWh Ioniq but not for 40kWh prices.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Guessing it should be priced around 39kwh Kona, and if it charges as quick as the 28kwh will be decent long trip EV too.
So around £27k after PICG and around £30k for a premium SE?

It's not far off a 64kWh e-Niro in price then...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I saw the Ioniq BEVs up for 24-25k used?

True, you can get a 40kwh Zoe for less, but the Ioniq is a much bigger car and has active lane keep and TACC... in a way, you're getting more for your money!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Yeah but they are asking silly money for what is essentially a 28kWh EV. Don't get me wrong it's a great car and I would be interested in buying a nearly new 28kWh Ioniq but not for 40kWh prices.
Even when the 28kWh car goes almost as far as the 40kWh and rapid-charges reliably and much faster? I did. Partly because it's a ~30kWh car compared to a ~37kWh car :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ha! White - with Gen3 glasscoat!
Ah well...

Still trying to decide if I should settle for an Ioniq, or try and stretch to a Model 3. But I do like an orange car...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Guessing it should be priced around 39kwh Kona, and if it charges as quick as the 28kwh will be decent long trip EV too.
There's the rub - there are fairly strong suggestions that the 38kWh will charge a lot slower on Rapids.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's the rub - there are fairly strong suggestions that the 38kWh will charge a lot slower on Rapids.
You've highlighted this problem-ette elsewhere, excellent, and yes it could be an issue for someone doing v high mileage trips. But not an issue for me, as I would only ever need maybe a 10 min stop on my regular 160 mile trip in depth of winter. What makes this car a winner for me is the excellent aerodynamics, so you get for 30 kWh what a brick-like 40 kWh shape can do. Has to be cheaper, lighter, nimbler, etc etc.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Specs & prices for the new 37 kWh model are now out, which is good news. Sadly the show-stopper for me is the pure Bev version can't tow! All I want is to hitch a small trailer on, might have a motorbike on, might have box with garden cuttings for the tip. Not much to ask surely? This suggests that either they expect to make these in such small volumes that they can't afford the extra homologation fees, or more likely they reckon they can sell every one of the pure Bevs they make as-is, so why bother to pay the extra fees which might up the price a teensy bit, making it less competitive. So my order's now cancelled.

·
Registered
68 Posts
@HandyAndy - where have you been able to review the specs of the new Ioniq? Nothing on the Hyundai website? Saw, however, that prices start at just shy of GBP 30K (including the grant)...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts