Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are we going to arrange queueing for a charger without some ugly scenes ? Can imagine one guy turns up and perhaps speaks to the encumbent to see how long and retires for a coffee. 2nd person turns up and perhaps not even aware of the first and sits in car. 3rd person turns up and parks car or himself shall we say demonstrably. Go sought that.

·
Registered
708 Posts
How are we going to arrange queueing for a charger without some ugly scenes ? Can imagine one guy turns up and perhaps speaks to the encumbent to see how long and retires for a coffee. 2nd person turns up and perhaps not even aware of the first and sits in car. 3rd person turns up and parks car or himself shall we say demonstrably. Go sought that.
Go to Wetherby Services on the A1 at around midday or early afternoon and see for yourself how it works out. Whoever gets to the closest parking space to the chargers and can pull into the charging bay the fastest gets the next charge.

It's not uncommon to see people play dirty and drive on on the grass behind or beside the chargers to beat others to it and get plugged in before someone else can get in the bay.

If I hadn't witnessed such a clusterf**k previously I would have agreed with @cah197 above and said be civilised and communicate with one another. Often people won't wait in long lines for a charger and if they have the range they'll find somewhere else to plug in rather than waiting for multiple vehicles ahead of them to charge. So it shouldn't be too common of an issue.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
If I hadn't witnessed such a clusterf**k previously I would have agreed with @cah197 above and said be civilised and communicate with one another.
OK, I’m spoilt. At Superchargers it’s more civil, but then they are less of a scarce resource.

When you are all fighting for one EH charger and have limited options I could understand how it descends in a Lord of the Flies type scenario.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the aggrieved person presses the emergency stop button and then ..... Maybe OK for a women as still not many men would hit a women, but in any case.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
so the aggrieved person presses the emergency stop button and then ..... Maybe OK for a women as still not many men would hit a women, but in any case.
They might hit the car instead, or simply just return the favour.

·
Registered
15,727 Posts
Yeah, but I want to know what the correct protocol is if there is a burning PHEV blocking the charger.

Should I drag it out the way immediately or wait for it to cool down first?

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,598 Posts
Yeah, but I want to know what the correct protocol is if there is a burning PHEV blocking the charger.

Should I drag it out the way immediately or wait for it to cool down first?
Just toast some marshmallows and enjoy the show.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Save the charge point even at the risk of putting the PHEV out? :devilish:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,605 Posts
Like this?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Donald,
I like your queueing ideas however paying for it is another problem, but at the moment they cannot even get chargers to do what they are supposed to never mind your proposal.

Imagine Mc stop working or barrier stops etc.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,605 Posts
Donald,
I like your queueing ideas however paying for it is another problem, but at the moment they cannot even get chargers to do what they are supposed to never mind your proposal.
Indeed.

The reason for that, however, or rather the ways to prevent it, are embedded in my proposal.

The whole infrastructure needs to be organised and regulated centrally. If the parts are not performing, there should be ways to measure that and to impose remedy. That is impossible at the moment. With my proposal, the means would have to exist to centralise that data, and then it'd be obvious what and where the problems are.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Probably one of those paper ‘take a number’ machines and an MSA version of the surgery receptionist.

Perhaps he or she will have a number of questions about why you need to visit the obviously busy charger today?

Then a screen saying the charger is running about 40 minutes late and saying they are sorry but not in any way meaning it.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
575 Posts
they seem to manage ok at them fossil fuel station thingys?

·
Premium Member
3,576 Posts
Maybe it should be like down the pub reserving the pool table? Just put your stacked 20p pieces on the top of the charger, and bobs your uncle.

·
Registered
708 Posts
they seem to manage ok at them fossil fuel station thingys?
But you're in and out of a fuel station in a few minutes. Someone could be plugged in to a rapid charger for more than half a hour. Not to mention the fact that most places have far fewer chargers than the average fuel station has pumps. Not really comparable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe shell are building a charger station in London with multiple chargers and a rest / coffee area. Another company opening one this year I think. Hopefully with a reasonable cost for 30 - 60 min, then a high premium after that will keep people moving swiftly. Enough time for rest break and a coffee, but not enough to read war and peace whilst insisting on 100% charge.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Not to mention the fact that most places have far fewer chargers than the average fuel station has pumps.
Well, yeah. Arranging queuing is the wrong thing to do. Installing more chargers is the right solution.

Who in their right mind will buy an EV when they hear that not only will they have to have a coffee break while refilling, but they'll have to join some system of queuing before even getting to the charger?
It'll be like going through an airport every time, but without the duty-free :oops:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have to have fuel stations for ICE, we do not need them for EVs. There are already more RAPID public charging pumps than petrol stations and then we have factories and domestic chargers where the EV is charged whilst not being used. It is totally uneconomic to build enough charging stations that there will never be queueing.

It is my belief that they will never become economic because the alternatives semi control the prices to a level which will not allow a profit at the capacity factor available. The demand/supply of petrol is very price sensitive and i do not envisage any different for EV charging.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts