Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

The number of people I run over since driving an EV has...

• Increased

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Decreased

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Remained about the same (includes not hitting any, regardless of vehicle type)

Votes: 98 90.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So BBC Radio Four have just now again added to the SILENT KILLER nonsense surrounding EVs.

That's what I thought, but then my own experiences of not running people over all that often may NOT reflect the majority of EV owners. As a result, in a more scientific way than most reporters seem to bother with, I thought I'd see if we can establish how real this threat to humanity is.

When considering your voting choice, please include all types of pedestrians as well other road users such as skateboarders, cyclists and cold-callers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Noticed that dogs do not react to the car though. Must be the noise an ICE makes... have not run any of them over either ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ludicrous scaremongering. Below 17mph the Leaf makes an artificial noise. Above that speed, tyre noise usually exceeds any engine noise anyway. The promise of a wonderfully quiet future for those living on busy roads being prevented by some artificial noise generator is so depressing I want to tear my hair out.

I have driven the Leaf many miles, and I simply take the same care as I ever did. There are plenty of people who can't hear for whatever reason - either because they are hard of hearing or because they've got an ipod in their ears, so I drive as if no-one knows I'm there until they look at me and respond to my presence. Normal careful practice. Anyone who drives around relying on someone having heard them is playing with fire, whatever car they're driving.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Incidentally, voting is anonymous, so if you're "that guy" who drives around near all the BBC and other motoring journalists, ploughing people down in your EV, don't be afraid to vote, they wont see.

Maybe it's just frustrated EV owners trying to run down said journalists and reporters? If so, please stop it, you're doing us all a disservice, as much as I share your frustrations.

·
Journeyman Human
441 Posts
Not run any over yet, but I've had several people walk right out in front of me when driving slowly around in car parks, a quick blast of the twin horns usually wakes them up though o_O

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not run any over yet, but I've had several people walk right out in front of me when driving slowly around in car parks, a quick blast of the twin horns usually wakes them up though o_O
I have had people walk out in front of me in a car park when I was driving an ICE. Have you noticed significantly more?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have had people walk out in front of me in a car park when I was driving an ICE. Have you noticed significantly more?
I've had a couple walk out in front since having the LEAF, again in car parks, but again this has happened in ALL the cars I've owned, even rather stupid noisy convertible (aircooled) VWs. People are just unaware sometimes.

·
Journeyman Human
441 Posts
Not significantly more, I did actually knock someone down once (very slowly though, they were just furious, not hurt!) reversing out of a TESCO car park in a petrol Passat I used to own...

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not significantly more, I did actually knock someone down once (very slowly though, they were just furious, not hurt!) reversing out of a TESCO car park in a petrol Passat I used to own...
As a teenager I was "run over" in a council run car park.

I was walking across (pedestrian right of way, clearly marked), twenty-something guy saw me, we made eye contact.. He thought he'd keep on driving...

He seemed rather upset as he hit me and I rather dramatically fell onto his lovely shiny BMW bonnet. That was a good day.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have found a rather amusing side effect of the Leaf being so quiet...

A couple of weeks ago we were driving into our road and I saw a cat walking down the road on the pavement (there are a lot of cats on our estate)... just so it knew we were behind it I gave the horn a beep.

WOW! The cat, which was just walking along minding its own business, seemed to have been ejected into the air by an ejector seat, fur all bristling, and quite cross. I have never seen anything quite so funny.

Now, before you all get on at me for being cruel... I had no idea it would react like that and I won't do it again... but it sure was funny and if I could have videoed it I am sure it would get a following on youtube!

Moral of the story... you are more likely to scare a cat to death by hooting your horn than by running them over!

:)

·
Super Moderator
6,338 Posts
The government would be better off making it against the law to wear any form of "I Pod". The number of people I have nearly knocked down either padestians or cyclists who just walkout into the road are make a sudden change of direction without even looking amazes me. Ps this is while driving my ICE van in London not the Volt

·
Registered
193 Posts
I haven't actually ran anyone over but I think it was two days into my Leaf ownership after just picking child elder up from pre-school and driving along a narrow side street with no pavement behind a fairly elderly lady who obviously couldn't hear me. I wasn't sure whether to beep the horn, get close enough to shout out the window or just follow her at her pace. I did the latter although she did look a little shocked when she turned around! Having said that I am not sure that she'd heard us in an ICE car!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
My leaf must have had the sounder cut as it doesnt and has never made the noise at low speed, in built up places I have had people walk out in front of me but they used to in my old rover as well? pedestrians are so wrapped up with phones, headphones, themselves to notice cars, if you beep your horn they look at you like your the bad person.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
No people but last night a robin was in our driveway and it just stood there and stared me out. I had to get out of the car, walk around and shoo it off. It was like it was mesmerised by this silent beast in front of it.

The last time I was almost run over was by a diesel Audi A8 on Old Street in London. Funny, because with all the Priuses in London I could hear them sneaking up on me by the inverter whine. I can even here the difference between a Prius and a Lexus RX400h just from that high pitch noise they give off.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I must admit I like sneaking up on people in my Volt, but it's hard to do if there are any speed bumps as the Volt makes that wonderful scraping noise to warn off the pedestrians.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Has any one else noticed an increase of suicidal birds (feathered variety), they just don't appear to hear me coming, rather than pulling feathers out of the grill a quick honk shifts them.
Gary

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
Has any one else noticed an increase of suicidal birds (feathered variety), they just don't appear to hear me coming, rather than pulling feathers out of the grill a quick honk shifts them.
Gary
Got a pigeon sized dent in the bonnet of my car during a drive to the local mainline train station a while ago :-(

1 - 20 of 85 Posts