Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi first post so go gentle,:)

were potentially looking at a ev for a second car for the wife, and she really likes the Kona for the school runs, town commuting, however I have been reading from the shadows the Kona battery saga from stage shoot, and although I appreciate the issues he is facing, I was wondering if we entering into a potential wrong brand, with all the lack of service he's indicating he's having.

I going to ask, and potentially getting shot for this, is the annoyance with the brand the fact your not getting your desired result, or is the brand that bad, reason im asking is most reviewsers comment the quality of the Hyundai ev, unless im missing something.

im sorry if I upset or offended anyone with my first post, it wasn't intentional.

thanks focusy

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
498 Posts
I think Hyundai are basically OK it's just the battery issues with the Konas. The Kia E-Niro is basically the same car, larger boot and battery supplied by a different manufacturer so look at that as an alternative to the Kona.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,
I have,owned a kona 64 premium se for a year (been an ev owner for 5 years). The kona is a great car,huge range,unbelievably efficient and surprisingly quick. I really like it. However the only fly in the ointment is my experience with the main dealer( admittedly only once for the first service) I took a perfectly functioning car in for 1st service and updates and got given a car back with half the systems not working .when I pointed this out to them the service managers response was "what do you want me to do about it?" I had to show them the forums to show that others had had the same problem and what the fix was. Luckily for me my battery is not one of the ones being recalled but then again neither was Shageshoots. I was very much considering an Ionic 5 however after my dealer experience it has put me right off to be honest. So great car but rubbish main dealer support is my take on it.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,793 Posts
I think Hyundai are basically OK it's just the battery issues with the Konas. The Kia E-Niro is basically the same car, larger boot and battery supplied by a different manufacturer so look at that as an alternative to the Kona.
Different battery pack manufacturer. If you want to be pedantic, OP needs to distinguish between the different issues: battery failure, dealers fails and manufacturer fails.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Hi first post so go gentle,:)

were potentially looking at a ev for a second car for the wife, and she really likes the Kona for the school runs, town commuting, however I have been reading from the shadows the Kona battery saga from stage shoot, and although I appreciate the issues he is facing, I was wondering if we entering into a potential wrong brand, with all the lack of service he's indicating he's having.

I going to ask, and potentially getting shot for this, is the annoyance with the brand the fact your not getting your desired result, or is the brand that bad, reason im asking is most reviewsers comment the quality of the Hyundai ev, unless im missing something.

im sorry if I upset or offended anyone with my first post, it wasn't intentional.

thanks focusy
The fact that after all the bloody issues we have had going back to 2018 with our first Kona, and I am still looking at them because cant find anything better says something.

Sure if I was to lay down £70k plus there are better options out there, but Range/Warranty/Price is a magic triangle with the Kona. And being a tight Northerner that means a lot.

I think if you get one there is always the shadow of a battery issue, buying on finance would also give you protection that way as well as relying on Hyundai. The big one is dealer support, a lot of them are really really bid, I have to drive 100 miles to get mine serviced as it was the only one I found I could trust. If it fits your needs I probably would still go for it again

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
The fact that after all the bloody issues we have had going back to 2018 with our first Kona, and I am still looking at them because cant find anything better says something.

Sure if I was to lay down £70k plus there are better options out there, but Range/Warranty/Price is a magic triangle with the Kona. And being a tight Northerner that means a lot.

I think if you get one there is always the shadow of a battery issue, buying on finance would also give you protection that way as well as relying on Hyundai. The big one is dealer support, a lot of them are really really bid, I have to drive 100 miles to get mine serviced as it was the only one I found I could trust. If it fits your needs I probably would still go for it again
Kia Soul? Slightly smaller boot, better rear passenger space, higher ride for better visibility.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kia Soul might be a option, a lot of the things with women is how they look, so it might win or loose, as stage. Is Fully aware, a happy wife is a easy life 👍😂

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Kia Soul? Slightly smaller boot, better rear passenger space, higher ride for better visibility.
Yes have considered it Vicky is OK with it as its just a Kona in a slightly fancier skirt. Only thing is there are not many around supply seems a lot more constrained than the Konas. Which pushes up the price, About £32k for a 2020 FE which is not as well specced as the Kona, which again pushes towards getting a brand new Kona Premium Facelift for £32.5k

Kia warranty not as good of course, but would not keep more than a year realistically. so not an issue.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I took a perfectly functioning car in for 1st service and updates and got given a car back with half the systems not working .when I pointed this out to them the service managers response was "what do you want me to do about it?" I had to show them the forums to show that others had had the same problem and what the fix was
Hi @garypersonaltrai I'll be getting my Kona 64 at the end of this month (fingers crossed...). In case I get similar problems, what was the issue here and what was the fix? I know there have been software update problems, but I am not clear how the dealer could help with this. Rollback to a fully functioning version? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have had my Kona for 18 months now and it a brilliant drive. The dealerships are pot luck, some of the techs are good and some clueless. Watch out for a rattling noise from the reduction gear, it's a common problem and I had mine replaced under warranty. My local dealership did the software updates without any problems. One issue outstanding is the Bluelink in the car only works intermittently (the experts in Germany have been trying to fix it). Battery recall seems to be a lottery as not even Hyundai seem to know which cars are affected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi @garypersonaltrai I'll be getting my Kona 64 at the end of this month (fingers crossed...). In case I get similar problems, what was the issue here and what was the fix? I know there have been software update problems, but I am not clear how the dealer could help with this. Rollback to a fully functioning version? Thanks for your help.
Hi,
It was a simple fix, just disconnect the 12v battery and reconnect. I showed the service manager and the tech the forums and the fix as it appeared to be a reasonably common problem after the updates and their response was "that is bull sh*t" exact words! But they had no other ideas of how to fix it so after about half an hour arguing they finally agreed to disconnect the 12v and low and behold.....fixed it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes have considered it Vicky is OK with it as its just a Kona in a slightly fancier skirt. Only thing is there are not many around supply seems a lot more constrained than the Konas. Which pushes up the price, About £32k for a 2020 FE which is not as well specced as the Kona, which again pushes towards getting a brand new Kona Premium Facelift for £32.5k

Kia warranty not as good of course, but would not keep more than a year realistically. so not an issue.
The FE is pretty well equipped.
Has most things that the Kona ultimate has expect:
Front parking sensors
Ventilated Seats
Intelligent Sign detection (uses maps for speed limits)

However came at a significantly lower price. I like the Kona a lot, but the Soul EV was better value. You don't notice what it looks like when driving 😉 and look better in real life than the pictures.

The Maxx drops the HUD, heat pump and electric drivers seat (I think).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for taking the time to reply to my all my questions, really appreciate it,

alot of you have commented that the car is good but dealers are hit and miss, do we have a list of the good bad and damn right ugly dealers, I couldnt find on the forum

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
thank you all for taking the time to reply to my all my questions, really appreciate it,

alot of you have commented that the car is good but dealers are hit and miss, do we have a list of the good bad and damn right ugly dealers, I couldnt find on the forum
Let us know what part of the country you are in and hopefully someone local will give an opinion

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yorkshire. Thanks
Ah OK, well for me it would still be the Drive Across to DSG Morecombe..

Not tried Sheffield, Leeds, but would avoid Chesterfield,. Dont go anywhere Near Mansfield or Nottigham (Or I think anything else Bristol St Motors) Hopefully someone from the area will have insight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yorkshire. Thanks
Well if you're based in Yorkshire I would recommend Cars2 in Bradford (not sure how far it is for you). Not had any problems when interacting with the dealership regarding Kona specific issues.

Will know for sure how good they are when I take my Kona in for its 1st service next week. They're giving me a discount apparently so 1st service is £45.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi,
It was a simple fix, just disconnect the 12v battery and reconnect. I showed the service manager and the tech the forums and the fix as it appeared to be a reasonably common problem after the updates and their response was "that is bull sh*t" exact words! But they had no other ideas of how to fix it so after about half an hour arguing they finally agreed to disconnect the 12v and low and behold.....fixed it.

Thanks for this info @garypersonaltrai

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have had a 64Kw Premium SE for 15 months and have put on 23k miles with no actual issues with the car so far. I have had one flat 12v battery in the morning but realised that my wife had sat in the car outside the house for 20 minutes the night before talking on the phone - may or may not have been a cause, but no problems in the 9 months since. The dealer is, like most, I feel, not up to speed on EV`s - maybe one tech who has been on the courses, but they did do the software updates OK at the 20k service. They used Covid as a reason to just give back a car that worked completely differently, in terms of screens and displays, than when it went in. No explanation, no assistance, didn`t even mention it may be different! (they probably didn`t even know!). I was aware of the update through this forum, but most owners would be lost, I`m sure.
Now to charging - I got the Kona to commute in - so usually do 65 miles a day, charging whilst at work from an 11Kw Zappi. On rare occasions - probably 6 in its life, I have used 50Kw chargers, normally giving 43 Kw. And have no problem that I am aware of with the main battery. (curses car with that comment and expects triangle of death in next few days!). I am sure this soft touch on the charging probably helps the battery life. From stageshoots experiences, the hardware is not capable of taking the high charging rates on a regular basis without it taking a toll. And the new monitoring software that Hyundai introduced just put the whole system on a hairtrigger that picks up the smallest discrepancy.
If the worst happens to mine, it is on a lease deal from Hyundai, so it would bounce back on them - I hope!
Overall, in my experience, the Kona gives excellent efficiency, comfortable & relaxing to drive and reliable. But others, from their experiences will tell you different. You pays your money.......

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
226 Posts
Had mine just over a year and love it. I have no concerns regarding the battery issues, mostly as its a lease, but also, it's not one of the recalled versions. I charge up every 2-3 weeks with the home charger and to the full 100%, but again long-term battery degradation is not a significant consideration for me.

I seem to have been one of the lucky ones with my dealer; I had a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV previously for 5 years and it's the same dealer, so I feel comfortable with them and they have been great. Ten days after it was delivered the entire display just froze, nothing from it at all, tried to reset, but no joy so took it to the dealer. It needed a whole new unit installed, the service manager told me that they usually get reconditioned units from Hyundai when replacements are needed, but as my car was only 10 days old he would insist on a brand new unit and that's what I got.

Then last month after the first service I had the problem with the software glitch previously referred to - no sound from anything, not even parking sensors etc. Like @garypersonaltrai I checked the forum, found the fix and briefly disconnected the 12v battery - et voila, sorted. I then got a feedback request from the dealer following the service and included this on it, later the same day the service manager (Jim, we're on first name terms now) phoned me to ask all about it. I explained to him and sent redacted screenshots of some of the posts on these forums and he said he'd let his technicians know and make Hyundai aware.

Sadly for you, I and the dealer are in Edinburgh, but it shows that there are good dealers out there!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts