Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Electric
12 Posts
I note the various comments about Hyundai dealers being a bit hit-and-miss. I recently ordered, and am awaiting delivery, my first Hyundai - a Kona Electric - very much on the strength of my wife's experience of two ICE Hyundais - an I10, and then an Ix20. Both of them were reliable, competent, solid, and well screwed together, so I am happy with the quality of the Brand. Our experience of two dealers with those two cars was fine - our only criticism was a certain over-eagerness, but that seems to be the modern way of doing business, irksome though I may find it!

But electric cars are different. There's a lot of novel technology in there, and a lot for all dealers to learn, both about nuts and bolts and about the software - particularly the software! Sales of BEVs, booming though they may be, are still low compared to sales of ICE vehicles: these are early days in the BEV market, not long out of the pioneering stage. Of course, even where knowledge or experience in the technology may be lacking, there is no excuse for the bad attitudes some have described, but in such early days of the market I think it is only to be expected that some dealers will have "caught on" to the tech quicker than others - and any dealer receptive to customer comments and prepared to learn from customers (and seek help from Hyundai where necessary) deserves, in my view, a little latitude.

Of course, it remains to be seen how my own dealer will score on the technical front - but they seem to have been pretty successful selling Kona's (and Ioniqs before then), and the sales lady I dealt with was both highly enthusiastic and very knowledgable (it has been interesting to confirm so much of what she told me by perusing this and other forums, and from reading the Manual!) which gives me some confidence that they will be able to cope!

Finally, and to add a little perspective, the dealers I have used over 50 years of motoring (covering brands including Chrysler, Rover, Leyland, VW/Audi, Citroen, Honda, Mercedes and BMW) have been very much a mixed bag - some good, some awful, and you wouldn't be able to tell, just from the brands, which was which! I would guess that dealer problems such as have been voiced many times in this forum relating to dealing with EVs are not restricted only to Hyundai!

·
Registered
Kona EV, 64kW Premium Nav 2019
385 Posts
Dealers, schmealer: pot luck really!
Most of the trouble there is that they are not massively up to speed with EVs, which somewhat disrupt their normal world. Only Tesla really have that set up, but they ONLY do EVs!
We use one in Anstey, Leicestershire…but in our 27k miles experience, that has been 2 services, no hassles.
Eagerly awaiting a new battery: might make us keep it for even more years….

The Kona has been outstanding. Plug in about every 2-4 days, it has been so cheap to run (not buy, obviously!).
TBH, I’d say take a look at the Niro if you want more space, the Soul if you like a funky look, or the Kona if you want to look coolest 🤣😎👍

21 - 22 of 22 Posts