Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Defo a gap for a good quick start guide to explain all the common questions and dashboard settings/lights.

My dad picked up an MG ZS EV today and seems quite overwhelmed, just like when I got the E-Niro. To start with its all so alien you feel a little of control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
329 Posts
Cars should have like a setup widget that walks you through the most relevant settings with added info. There's a tablet in there that allows you to interact with the user, so use that real estate and make people feel they control the vehicle instead of forcing them through endless menus.

I work in software development and am pretty computer savvy. But if my wife had bought this car on her own, she wouldn't be able to scratch the surface of all that's possible. That's no discredit to my wife, but to designers of poor user interfaces that build in unneeded complexity that only confuses people.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Cars should have like a setup widget that walks you through the most relevant settings with added info
Didn’t that used to be called a “salesman“ in the old days :ROFLMAO: (excuse the gender specific answer reflecting historical accuracy).

·
Registered
103 Posts
I still can't get over that there is no button on the steering wheel to quickly return to the Home screen. The only way to display the Home screen is by touching the house icon on the display, which is always situated on the far side of the screen (better position for LHD cars). I find it a bit distracting to reach over to the far left.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
329 Posts
Didn’t that used to be called a “salesman“ in the old days :ROFLMAO: (excuse the gender specific answer reflecting historical accuracy).
True :D

But that was when they only had to explain that you had to push the indicator stalk down to indicate left, and up for right. Today, they haven't a clue. Anyway, mine didn't. I knew more about the car than he. And it was a young guy to boot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I still can't get over that there is no button on the steering wheel to quickly return to the Home screen. The only way to display the Home screen is by touching the house icon on the display, which is always situated on the far side of the screen (better position for LHD cars). I find it a bit distracting to reach over to the far left.
Surely It would be relatively easy to have programmed a setting to flip the screen for RHD cars.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Or no button on the steering wheel to pause a playing track. My 2014 car had that!

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
216 Posts
You can program the <*> button to be a <Home> button in the settings.
I've got mine set as a shortcut for <Kia Live>

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,866 Posts
What does Kia Live do?
I've got my 🌟 set up as shortcut to Battery screen. Not sure that is the name, but the screen with energy use and setup for scheduled charging.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
216 Posts
I've got my 🌟 set up as shortcut to Battery screen. Not sure that is the name, but the screen with energy use and setup for scheduled charging.
There's already a shortcut button for that. It's marked <EV> near HVAC controls

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
283 Posts
Doesn't the EV button already take you to the same place?

I have mine set as a shortcut to Android Auto.

Edit: sorry finchlean, duplicated your info.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think pressing the * button a second time should take you back to the standard Home screen split into thirds. Mine is set for AA as well but to get back to Kia screen have to press the circle icon on AA then choose the Kia icon.
The sales staff haven't got a clue, haven't got the time to spend an hour going through features, would have to be distanced nowadays. My car was delivered by a young guy who knew nothing was just a driver. My neighbour just got a Tesla M3, had to get a taxi to collect car, they reimbursed cost, then whenever he asked about features they said look it up on YouTube.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
283 Posts
Well I have just realised that having the * button choose AA is a waste also because that's what the Media button does. :p

I'll have to look again at what other useful one touch options it may better serve.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It just mutes in my 2020. I guess a mute button works for radio as well so kind of makes sense as a ubiquitous "be quiet" button

·
Registered
317 Posts
It just mutes in my 2020. I guess a mute button works for radio as well so kind of makes sense as a ubiquitous "be quiet" button

It should pause pausable sources and mute non-pausible sources. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,866 Posts
:censored: :oops: I learn something new everyday! Thanks guys, I had no idea .... and I was looking for a button like that!

PS: I don't use AA at all, so it is not useful for me.

The other thing that I'm missing is "USB eject". I haven't found any link to such an action, and have to shut the car down to extract pluged-in USB.

Reactions: DSLRed
1 - 20 of 30 Posts