Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son’s got the Leaf 30 and I confess to never having read the detail or played with the charging options in it.

It’s a 3.3Kw plugged into a 32amp EVSE. Is there any way to tell the car to charge at a lower than maximum rate? I appreciate it’s not the most efficient option but just wanted a yes/no and where to do it if it’s a yes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
No it will charge at 3.3 kw and cannot be reduced to say 2 kw but the granny lead would give you a bit lower rate due to its restriction.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Depends in the make and model of the EVSE. Some can be adjusted. If it's got a Viridian or Mainpine protocol controller inside, just add the appropriate resistor.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Depends in the make and model of the EVSE. Some can be adjusted. If it's got a Viridian or Mainpine protocol controller inside, just add the appropriate resistor.
With a Mainpine, you could adjust all the way down to 8 Amps or so.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both. It’s just a bog standard EVSE but didn’t know if car had a reduced option. No worries 👍

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The car sets the charge rate. As this has a 3.3kW on board charger the car will draw that from the 7kW wall box.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe that my Podpoint charging unit will limit current being drawn if it comes close to exceeding the capacity of the domestic supply. The unit has a current sensing loop on the mains supply to monitor the whole house current draw. If you want to control the charge rate for that reason then look to your choice of charging outlet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi @Gif i don't know if you got the answer you wanted from the above, it can be confusing.
Basicaly you dont need to do anything when charging, the car+cable+charge point will all sort it out, the slowest of these three will dictate the charge speed.
Unless you want to force lower charging for some reason.

BTW the LEAF is 3.6kW not 3.3, every little helps ;)

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.

Not confused at all, I understand the interactions between the car / charge point / cable. My issue was whether there was any way of throttling the car's AC charging rate below the 3.6kw(in) / 3.3kw(out) rate. I gather not!

The options identified for changing the charging infrastructure or using the granny were not practical. Some cars allow you to throttle back the charge rate, I just didn't know if I'd missed something in the Leaf (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts