Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current tyres are currently reaching their final months after 19,000 miles and so I am starting to think about what next. For me priorities would be quietness and all weather grip. I am prepared to lose a few miles for those aspects. So I am wondering what people are putting on theirs with these features?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have Cross Climates on the LEAF, they seem pretty decent to me

My other cars have Michelin PS4 and Goodyear Eagle F1's and the Cross Climates never seem hugely lacking compared to those in general driving, unlike some of the nasty budget tyres i've had the displeasure of driving on over the years.

·
Premium Member
3,633 Posts
Best all round tyre, for me, is the Cross Climate +.

I’ve had all those brands you mention, and what they lose in dry weather grip (not much) they make up in spades when the weather gets icy and snowy.

I found them quiet and long lasting as well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Based on the eNiro wheel size I went for Bridgestone Weather Control as they were the only All Season offering with an "A" rating for stopping in the wet. Noise is 72dB and Fuel is a "C"
MichelinCrossClimate+ are quieter at 69dB but only manage a "B" for wet stopping as do the Goodyear 4Seasons.
There's also the Continental AllSeasonContact that gets "B"s for both stopping and fuel with the same 72dB noise as the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
I'm still using the original tyres at nearly 25k. I did swap then front to back a while back so I can wear them all before changing to all weather tyres but going to be a while before I need a new set of tyres, expecting about 35k.

I have cross climates on the Golf but found them noisier than the original, and noisier than the tyres currently on the Niro.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just for fun...

After much digging and then scraping a bit deeper. Eventually, coming in just under the radar. I learned that the Uniroyal RAINSPORT 5 may well have some interesting characteristics.

While not advertised as such, apparently the tread pattern and compound could have some merit in this context. Definitely not saying poor mans CC+ though.

It’s for someone else to make that call! Probably not quite up there, but possibly almost? Maybe this winter will reveal any potential prospect...

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Second vote for Continental AllSeason Contact from me - hugely quieter on my Kona (same size wheels as the e-Niro I think) and much grippier, plus closer to the better balance of temperatures that we get in the UK. You might find them a bit tricky to get hold of but mytyres.co.uk can send them over in a few days and at very good prices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Interesting comments about road noise and the tyres and I was looking at fitting the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2/Gen-3 (currently have Michelin Primacy 3s). The road noise is the one thing I struggle with on this car. Its really quiet on a smooth surface but as soon as you hit the coarse, granite chips surfaces here in Wiltshire the noise level goes over 72dB at 60mph which is high for this sort of car so interested to hear what others are finding and it anyone has fitted the Goodyear tyre.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I'm still using the original tyres at nearly 25k. I did swap then front to back a while back so I can wear them all before changing to all weather tyres but going to be a while before I need a new set of tyres, expecting about 35k.
I reckon following an inspection today, I may see 12k out of my fronts before they’re gone. Out of interest, do you know when you swapped them?

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
At about 3mm.
That's probably not what you wanted to know but I don't remember how many miles they had done as it was before lockdown and my usage had changed a lot since March. I think it was over 20k.
You must be using the loud pedal rather harder than we do. My wife had driven it a lot and she spend a lot of time on main roads driving straight.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Yeah, I’m not renowned for my economical driving style plus a lot of my driving is stop start, twisty A and B stuff and mostly crap road surfaces too. As I was getting older, I thought I was naturally slowing down and driving more conservatively. Clearly not 🤦

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
3.9 average over the 7.8k miles I’ve done thus far. That’s been mostly in the winter to be fair though.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
3.9 long term average sounds good to me. As we spend lots of time at 70mph I don't think ours would be that high. It's been reset several times so unless there's a long term average hidden away somewhere I don't know what ours is.
I still don't understand how you can be thinking about tyres while under 8k.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Cos I looked at the fronts and they don’t look like there’s a great deal of tread above the wear indicators. To be fair, I don’t know how much tread was there before mind :ROFLMAO:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts