Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Ioniq EV is needing new tyres on the front. It is currently fitted with Michelin Energy Saver Tyres 205/55R16. The ride is noisy on some road surfaces.
There are supposed to be some Hankook tyres specially for EVs - Kinergy AS EV, but they don't seem be available in the UK yet.
I note that there is talk on the Zoe thread about some EV tyres, but they only seem to be available in 195 width. Can those be fitted instead of 205?
Has anyone got suggestions for quieter tyres?

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Ioniq EV is needing new tyres on the front. It is currently fitted with Michelin Energy Saver Tyres 205/55R16. The ride is noisy on some road surfaces.
There are supposed to be some Hankook tyres specially for EVs - Kinergy AS EV, but they don't seem be available in the UK yet.
I note that there is talk on the Zoe thread about some EV tyres, but they only seem to be available in 195 width. Can those be fitted instead of 205?
Has anyone got suggestions for quieter tyres?

Tony

Have you considered Hakka Green2?
Nokian Hakka Green2
205/55 R16 94H XL

·
Registered
144 Posts
The Michelin Primacy 4 has a lower noise rating than the energy savers. The question is how much if any range you would lose.

I'm actually thinking of going for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 when I need to change just to see if it helps with traction on the front. I have loads of range in hand on my 40 mile each way commute so don't mind trying them out.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,629 Posts
Goodyear efficient grip

Quietest by a big margin, and still an eco tyre (most are noisy hard compound)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got 2 goodyear efficent grip tyres to replace the originals (lasted 39k). Seem great so far and excelent price. Hope they last as long! £115 for two from kwik fit on a deal.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check out an online tyre pace like blackcircles dot com - they also list the grip, efficiency and noise ratings for each tyre so you can make a slightly more informed decision.

For the ones mentioned in this thread -
Michelin Energy Saver - 70dB
Michelin Primacy 4 - 68dB
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - 70dB
Goodyear Efficient Grip - 69dB
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance - varies between 68 and 70dB

It's a toss up between grip, performance and sound, a lot of the A/A tyres are the noisiest! ... although saying that I've just noticed a Yokohama BluEarth-Air which is A/A 68dB... looks new to the market tho, no reviews yet.

·
23,629 Posts
Check out an online tyre pace like blackcircles dot com - they also list the grip, efficiency and noise ratings for each tyre so you can make a slightly more informed decision.

For the ones mentioned in this thread -
Michelin Energy Saver - 70dB
Michelin Primacy 4 - 68dB
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - 70dB
Goodyear Efficient Grip - 69dB
Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance - varies between 68 and 70dB

It's a toss up between grip, performance and sound, a lot of the A/A tyres are the noisiest! ... although saying that I've just noticed a Yokohama BluEarth-Air which is A/A 68dB... looks new to the market tho, no reviews yet.
Michelin energy savers are WAAAAAY louder than GY EGs in the real world. 2dB isn't really that much difference, it might just be subjective and the 'type' of noise or someone's good at cooking up test results. "Noisegate" is next ....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions - I ended up with too much information, and couldn't find a local fitter for many of the tyres suggested. Ended up going to Mr Tyre in Leicester for GoodYear 205/55R16 91H Efficient Grip Performance. The two front tyres fitted for £139.80 inclusive. I had a slight problem because they must have swapped the wheels, so we were all a little left-right confused when trying to get similar pressure readings. Does anyone know whether the Ioniq automatically gets the correct position displayed for each wheel after a few runs, or do I need to go back and get the garage to swap the wheels? On my Leaf there was a swapping program in Leaf Spy.
Finally, I have just had twin hearing aids fitted, so I am going to be acutely aware of road noise - I will see how the new tyres sound, but have no comparison to the old Michelins - may have to turn the aids off!

Tony

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Michelin Primacy 4 has a lower noise rating than the energy savers. The question is how much if any range you would lose.

I'm actually thinking of going for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 when I need to change just to see if it helps with traction on the front. I have loads of range in hand on my 40 mile each way commute so don't mind trying them out.
I had quite a lot of experience with the Michelin PS2 and found them to be both noisy and to have unpredictable grip in cold weather. Goodyear Eagle AS 2 and 3 are a nice grippy tyre, quiet and predictable in cold weather.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Goodyear efficient grip

Quietest by a big margin, and still an eco tyre (most are noisy hard compound)
Changed the Michelin tyres on my Niro PHEV to Goodyear Efficient Grip as well seem quieter and certainly a lot cheaper than the Michelin. Also as the name suggests they seem very grippy in the wet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sorry as it isn't 100% to do with the subject matter. I would of course remove and repost as new post if required.
A family member has had 28kw Ioniq electric since May 2019, it is an 19 plate model. They have had the tyres checked by Hyundai and they reported that the tyres were 45% to 50% worn. They will get an independent garage to check also. surely it isn't normally for the tyres to wear that much in the space of a few months? I am not sure without checking, the specifics of what kind of tyres are currently on the car. The car was bought with 850 miles on, family member does 10k miles per year (around 5600-6000 miles on car currently), 95% city driving so far and being gentle on the acceleration pedal and using regen for braking as much as possible. could using the regen too much affect tyre wear? Thank you .

·
23,629 Posts
It depends what "45 to 50%" is 45 to 50% of?

My Soul was delivered with Michelins with 6.2mm of tread on. I make that nearly 50% worn on delivery, as I expect 8 to 8.5mm when new and I replace once they are lower than 4mm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts