OK Not Good News,

I tried the Amerea app.

On a 12v USB Plug Socket in car phone was pulling 1150ma

On the USB Max I saw was 280ma

So looks like its still very low.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Follow up on all of this (busy Saturday afternoon!)

According to this Spanish site Activar Waze y Android Auto en R-Link V1 they've managed to enable Android Auto on R-Link 1.

I'm handing my ZOE back at the end of it's PCP this month so won't be attempting on it. Picking up my new Q90i in March so unless Renault have announced something by then I'll have a go.

Can anyone with intimate knowledge of the CAN system ( @yoh-there ?) spot any glaring dangers in the process other than corrupting something in R-Link?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
Disclaimer: most of what's in this post is speculative. Don't take my word for it.

@power: I tried most of this stuff when I just had the car (Q210 in late 2013). Not only was the allowable power draw very limited, what was even worse is AFAIR it gets shut off when not in use. So if R-Link/ Radio doesn't "see" a memory card (or emulation), it just shuts down the interface. So, what you really want is a USB power supply in the cig lighter to power your phone and/or camera. There was a thread the other day of somebody who did that in the cabin light for the camera to reduce cable runs. Clever! Personally, I populate the USB connector with a super-tiny memory stick so it won't act as a mechanical lever, damaging the receptacle. BTW, I would be surprised if the USB hooks up to the R-Link. It makes much more sense to assume it links to the (headless) radio module. I could be totally wrong though. (edit: Spanish article suggests otherwise).

@R-Link: I can only talk (and even that very limited) about the old model R-Link. It is based on an ancient Android core (2.something) and I bet it is very hard to get a development chain for it up and running. I have discussed with Renault NL if we should pursue building CanZE on R-Link and they shook their heads and basically said: "you'll get stuck in the mud in no time. All sort of people interfering with style choices and stuff". Well, combine those two things and the entire idea was quickly abandoned.

I don't know how much better from a technical point of view the latest R-Link modules are.

Personally, I would not try to get any software installed on it. It's simply (IMHO) too much pain to even start trying. You can always stick a tablet in front of it. Or when more daring install something else. R-Link is not essential to the operation of the car; the only problem is the radio, but I might have documentation on how to control it over the MM CANbus should somebody want to take a stab at it. Nav wise there are better options on stock Android IMHO. But it would be a reasonably daring project.

The problem with Android Auto IMHO is not so much related to software or a perceived unwillingness of Renault to go there. It's more reasonable to assume the older hardware is simply not up to snuff to run it.

PS: reading that Spanish article now
PPS: interesting. I have communicated with Cedric, the author of DDT4all earlier. Who dares? (come on, I did the Start button thing the other day ;))

·
Premium Member
10,197 Posts
In the link he does say it might be slow on Rlink 1, but with Rlink Evolution having a faster processor, I assume it will be OK.

I wonder if the issue is that Renault can't enable on early New Zoe due to not meeting some Google licence requirements? Perhaps the power as mentioned above? The recent tweet from Renault saying "coming to Zoe" is encouraging though.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Who dares? (come on, I did the Start button thing the other day ;))
Surely you are the guy for this? As you said, you dared to test the Start button... ;)

Besides, you already have a head start on the rest of us, given that you've already done so much tinkering with the ZOE!

·
Zoe Devotee
7,965 Posts
Nice bit of hacking that, good to see my claim that there was no technical reason why Rlink 1 not having Android Auto has been validated.

I won't be carrying out the hack myself, but I'd be interesting in reading if anyone else tries it. TBH i've given up doing anything actively in the hacking on Zoe as its generally not appreciated no matter how helpful it is. #crushed

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm all for clever-er people than me trying this first :D

Why is it necessary to make the new cable for interfacing with the OBDII port? Surely OBDII is the standard and shouldn't require crossing wires etc? Or is this to get around Renaults proprietary meddling with the port to stop people doing this?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,277 Posts
Standard there is only one CANbus on the SAE J1962 ("OBDII") plug, so that is how the dongles and cables are wired. Almost any car has many more CANbusses now, and the ZOE is no exception: she has 4.

To get to R-Link you need the MM (multimedia) CANbus, where the "normal" CANbus is called the V (vehicule = car) bus. Luckily it is wired on the freely available pins, unlike the other two busses BTW. The clunky cable wires those pins (car side) onto the "standard" CANbus pins (dongle side). So you loose access to the V bus, and gain it to the MM bus.

So no. Actually, ZOE, like most Renaults, is a VERY accessible car in this respect. No firewall, no encryption. But I guess now other people will cry foul and say it's probably vulnerable. Can't please everybody!

·
EV/Tech Enthusiast
21 Posts
I'll be more than happy to give it a whack once I can get ahold of that OBDII cable. Hopefully I'll get around to giving it a go next week, and I'll try to make a video or something to show how it works. With Google announcing Google Assistant coming to Android Auto yesterday, it's made me even more eager to get it now.

In terms of power I was thinking of a USB C splitter for my phone, plug it in and then have two free ports... One for power from the 12v charger and the other to connect to the car for Android Auto, similar to how most of the new phones charge and play music through a 3.5mm adapter simultaneously as phone manufacturers drop the headphone ports.

EDIT: I found another link which explains things a bit more clearly in English... Install Android Auto / Waze on R-Link 1 I've also ordered an ELM327 USB ODB2 dongle but it's going to take 2 weeks to arrive so will just have to be patient until then... :whistle:

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I managed to get it working using the Konnwei Bluetooth dongle, a modded OBD2 extension and a laptop with bluetooth and all the software from the Spanish site above.

61 - 80 of 124 Posts