Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our battery-leased, 20k mile 2015 R240 just over 3 years ago. In the 3 previous winters, the range dropped to 60 miles before rising back up to 80 in the summer. It's now done over 50k miles and during the recent cold snap, the range dropped to 50 and is now at 55. This may have something to do with different usage over the past few weeks, but it's a noticeable decline over previous years. I've just checked with CanZE and the SOH is at 83%. I realise that batteries degrade with age so it's not unexpected in that respect - it's just that it's been fairly steady for 3 winters before dropping noticeably now. FWIW the BMS update was done at the 3rd service in 2018 when the SOH recovered to 98%.

Is there anything in particular I should be checking? Or is this just the inevitable decline of a Lithium battery?

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
569 Posts
I think its a combination of cold weather and the battery degradation, our ZE40 R110 is only showing 145 miles range today after full charge and battery pre-heated, worse its ever been. My 2nd dongle stopped working a year ago, but last time I checked I was down to 93% SOH and that was at 1 year old and 22K miles. I'm now on 30K miles but hopefully the battery degradation will slow down now as I'm planning on keeping it another 2 years.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Still on our first dongle 🤞

We were discussing changing ours for a later model with greater range, though sadly there's nothing for the £5k we paid back in 2017. I was thinking of buying out the battery lease before we sold it, but I might be better leaving it so that someone could claim if it drops to 75%.

Reactions: Rooster-x

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I was seeing 75 in winter and 90 in summer in my old R240... but that had 2000 miles on it, not 20,000.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was 20k when we bought it. We're now over 50k 👍

·
Zoe Devotee
9,053 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup recovered and then a year later it mysteriously dives again. ;)
Hardly a year - more like a 15% drop in 2½ years. That's not exactly unexpected...

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,491 Posts
Pretty sure the BMS update was legit as mine was at 70% and I'd definitely know about it if my range was about 55 miles in the middle of summer! (About 80 is the widely reported typical in summer unless you drive like a granny / stretch it out for fun on Youtube, and 70% of that is 56)

I think the 98% it typically resets to during the update is probably optimistic and the truth being somewhere in the middle as is often the case with many things in life. I have found that over the.. just coming up to 3 years I've had it the SOH steadily dropped to low 90s and has plateaued at 90% over the past year or so which is probably about where it was always at (when I bought it at 2.5 years old). I've never run it to absolute flat to be completely certain of its accuracy though as I don't fancy needing to be recovered when I fail to coincide running flat with rolling up to a charge point.

This winter has been the first that my GOM has indicated below 60 on a full charge I think (it read 56 last week) even though SOH is still 90%.... I had put it down to covid restrictions meaning that it's very rare at the moment for me to do any more than the 1.5 miles to work and back. So there aren't as many longer journeys balancing out the effect of spending 1.5 miles bringing the cabin up to temperature only to switch it off...

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ours is back up to 60 miles. I haven't checked if the SOH has changed recently...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts