Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across this today, thought it might warrant its own thread.

Aparently the R240 has an increased useable battery capacity from 22kWh to 23.3kWh. Below link to Renault video presentation by chief battery Engineer of Renault, check out at 5:10.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,160 Posts
1. He's rubbish at presenting.
2. Is this confirmation that the R240 is indeed no better than Q210?
3. Increased range only because it's using more of the 26kwh pack than the Q210?

I'd put this "magic" ability to use more of the pack down to the 22kw max charging. A 43kw charging charge probably means more of the pack (4kwh) has to be reserved to protect the pack.

Ironically when 99.5 SOC my pack shows 22.8kwh usable energy and that's on a Q210 which is also reporting 98 SOH after 8000 miles.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It seems the R240s increased official range is a combination of increased useable battery capacity from 22 to 23.3kWh and a more efficient engine. 22 to 23.3kWh would not result in the claimed 10-15% increase in range alone.
Wonder why the brochure does not state the 23.3kWh, maybe they did not want to alienate their existing customers?

·
Zoe Devotee
8,160 Posts
240km > 149miles / 23.3 = 6.39mpkwh = lies, no chance in hell. 5mpkwh is pretty much the upper limit I've seen personally (and most others seem similar).

Working on a summer sensible 5mpkwh puts Q210 at 110mile range (which is about right, I got 108miles as my best in pretty normal driving). With an extra 1.3kwh you'd get a whopping 116miles range (ok that is at least an improvement).

So how many R240 owners have posted anything over 110miles on the 100mile club thread? None.... Sadly.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read this as good news and think its great that Renault have increased the useable capacity. Maybe they feel more confident after three years of real world experience. The presenter certainly suggests that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Very interesting last question confirming battery upgrade option is under consideration... Perhaps explaining the loss leading pricing, if their future business model is long-term battery leasing.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,160 Posts
It's probably just a software update on the car that allows access to more of the battery. Probably very little reason why they could do an update to Q210s other than of course it would put both models on a par for range.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Origuchi states that the R240 range increase is due to three improvements:
1. Increased effective battery capacity.
2. Software update.
3. Increased engine efficency.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,160 Posts
Indeed he does and yet 240 owners have yet to best 210 owners, should be easy really. 10% is a decent improvement.

My feeling is its little more than a software update that allows access to more battery and 22kw charging is less hard on battery pack than 42kw charging.

·
R240
357 Posts
Yes interesting last question. Cost to customer or not not yet decided. Hmmm.

Interesting too the juggling of costs v performance. We could have considerably better range but that would reduce the recharge cycles making it uneconomic.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Note how he is not sure how Tesla manages to balance capacity and chargeability. Just shows you that Tesla seems to be way ahead of the rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts