Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... or lack of.

I am no designer so have no answer. But surely the professional EV designers could have come up with something better than a plastic blanking plate?

I just saw the 2021 Volvo XC40 on another thread, and I immediately winced. There are others available to wince at.

And the Tesla type option looks like a gaping wound that has been pulled together and stitched up.

Totally subjective, but there must be something better?

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Agreed. EVs need a radiator, as there are cooling oils circulating round the motor, let alone what's in the battery & possibly cooling the motor H-bridge controllers etc. Something aerodynamic, like the nose-cone of the Jag E-Types maybe? They need to decorate construction, not construct decoration! As a famous architect once said...

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
Aerodynamics?

A radiator grill is only necessary in an ICE car to manage excess heat generated from burning dyno juice.

In an EV the radiator is not even in the top 5 design priorities, so this changes the equation and aerodynamics take over. And a big gaping hole in the front is not a very aerodynamic shape.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
a % of a %, they could add for the same grill for about 2 miles range
...and/or they could have made the EV option good looking and other versions fugly but they didn't!
Funny choice if it was a model they were betting their future on no?
They still haven't quite given in yet....

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,034 Posts
a % of a %, they could add for the same grill for about 2 miles range
...and/or they could have made the EV option good looking and other versions fugly but they didn't!
Funny choice if it was a model they were betting their future on no?
They still haven't quite given in yet....
Take a look at an ID3.

Seems to have quite a low Cd too.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Take a look at an ID3.

Seems to have quite a low Cd too.
??ID3 isnt available as a petrol or Diesel though so there is no need for its CD to be compromised by ICE cooling/design considerations!

We are talking about why manufacturers seemingly go out of their way to make EV versions of cars of cars with multiple power plant options the worst looking one in their line up
(incidentally I'll add my ioniq to that list too)!

We are told that ugly blanking plates are made in the name of major aerodynamic improvements, Im suggesting that they could all do better if they actually wanted to.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
an ID3. ... Seems to have quite a low Cd too.
Tesla Model 3 Cd = 0.23
Ampera Cd = 0.24
Ioniq Electric Cd = 0.24
ID.3 Cd = 0.26
2020 Golf Cd = 0.28
2018 Leaf Cd = 0.28

So lowish, yes, but not fantastic 'coz' it's a smoothed-off brick, not a sleek plane-without-wings effort like the 3 above it. And being fairly tall, that's increasing the X-sectional area concerned.

·
Banned
843 Posts
??ID3 isnt available as a petrol or Diesel though so there is no need for its CD to be compromised by ICE cooling/design considerations!

We are talking about why manufacturers seemingly go out of their way to make EV versions of cars of cars with multiple power plant options the worst looking one in their line up
(incidentally I'll add my ioniq to that list too)!

We are told that ugly blanking plates are made in the name of major aerodynamic improvements, Im suggesting that they could all do better if they actually wanted to.
You are just not used to seeing grill less cars. By 2030 it will be normal and you will be used to it. I personally think all Tesla cars are great looking. There are also several brands / models of ICE that dont have an obvious "grill" , but a "subtle" intake below the nose, and not many say they are ugly. Ferrarri 360 , Porsche Boxster, Cayman, 944, 911 , Honda CRX, Honda NSX. Any modern F1 car. plenty more.

Any of these could have a EV conversion and "recessed" blank fitted and you would never notice.

It's the "reccess" your brain is missing, as well as the grill. The BEV "blank" is obviously for areo, a few extra miles of range. They could all have a slightly recessed "grill style" blank, like the BEV Peugeot E2008.

You just are not used to it. No one will give a damn in 10 years time.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,866 Posts
For example? How do you fill a hole? With a bigger hole? TBH, I don't see what you are basing that statement on? Fairy dust? :eek:
Tesla Model 3 Cd = 0.23
Ampera Cd = 0.24
Ioniq Electric Cd = 0.24
ID.3 Cd = 0.26
2020 Golf Cd = 0.28
2018 Leaf Cd = 0.28
Cough, hatchback, cough, cough...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Im totally fine with the idea of grill less cars but the blanking plate on the Ioniq and some other cars are just plain fugly its got nothing to do with not being used to seeing grill less cars.

They haven't even done the usual thing car makers do to fill space with a bit of fake effect carbon fibre, or striped them black to look aesthetically like a grill, or said to an industrial designer here's some dimensions make something aesthetically pleasing to fill it.

At the very least with the Ioniq they could have added something very similar looking to the phev in two tone blacks for the EV version, but no they just popped a cheap looking bit of grey plastic in a different colour to the rest of the car to make it look far worse.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Im totally fine with the idea of grill less cars but the blanking plate on the Ioniq and some other cars are just plain fugly its got nothing to do with not being used to seeing grill less cars.

They haven't even done the usual thing car makers do to fill space with a bit of fake effect carbon fibre, or striped them black to look aesthetically like a grill, or said to an industrial designer here's some dimensions make something aesthetically pleasing to fill it.

At the very least with the Ioniq they could have added something very similar looking to the phev in two tone blacks for the EV version, but no they just popped a cheap looking bit of grey plastic in a different colour to the rest of the car to make it look far worse.
Is there not a "Grill Pattern" Wrap. Shouldnt cost to much, it's only a small area.

·
Banned
843 Posts
How about a grill with a piece of plastic behind it? But as I said, I’m no designer
I assume this way creates a lot more drag than a smooth plastic plate. We will get used to it as more and more BEV come out and ice decline. After 100+ years and every persons living memory, the car grill is a hard thing to get used t missing. Kids born in 2021 wont ever think about it i doubt.

I lived in a house with an outside loo in the early 70's, i remember using it at about 3 years old. Cold seat in winter. it had been knocked down and an indoor Bathroom toilet extension built by the time i was 5. change happens. Embrace it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tesla Model 3 Cd = 0.23
Ampera Cd = 0.24
Ioniq Electric Cd = 0.24
ID.3 Cd = 0.26
2020 Golf Cd = 0.28
2018 Leaf Cd = 0.28

So lowish, yes, but not fantastic 'coz' it's a smoothed-off brick, not a sleek plane-without-wings effort like the 3 above it. And being fairly tall, that's increasing the X-sectional area concerned.
Is there much difference between 0.01 of a Cd? Or are Cd's logarithmic?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,034 Posts
Is there much difference between 0.01 of a Cd? Or are Cd's logarithmic?
It's not logarithmic. Coeficient of drag (Cd) X frontal area gives the equivalent area of flat surface at right angles to the airflow that the object presents in terms of the drag that it generates.

So it is derived by measuring drag forces on the object.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
We also have to consider that "efficiency" defined as miles/unit of leccy will also vary a lot depending on the car's charger! I'm seeing ID.3 getting 90% efficiency SOC_kWh/GRID_kWh, but 85% in Ioniq, on 7kW EVSE.
Could be anything on a Rapid, haven't tested this yet!

So really we should be crystal-clear as to which efficiency we're talking about.
I think mostly we're using miles per SOC_kWh, as that's the one closely related to range before fillups. The 2nd one includes financial costs, which is secondary in importance.

If Kona Cd= 0.29 matches M3, is that the latest M3 with heatpump in? Needs a reference to the particular test. If this was summer and heatpump not used at all, then I'd be surprised! I thought only the Ioniq came close to M3 "efficiency" (whatever flavour that may be, and whatever weather conditions!)

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,859 Posts
If Kona Cd= 0.29 matches M3, is that the latest M3 with heatpump in? Needs a reference to the particular test. If this was summer and heatpump not used at all, then I'd be surprised! I thought only the Ioniq came close to M3 "efficiency" (whatever flavour that may be, and whatever weather conditions!)
We are talking about aerodynamic drag, not efficiency. A heat pump has nothing to do with it.

The problem is that we are used to cars with grilles. The Jaguar I-PACE is a 'blank sheet' designed EV but they put a grill on it to look like other Jaguars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts