1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have my favourites list set to something like this:
1) Radio X
2) Classic FM (on DAB as it appears not to be on FM any more)
3) Radio 3 on FM
4) something else on DAB

I normally thumb up and down through these using the steering wheel controls.

If I'm on Classic FM DAB, and thumb up to Radio 3 FM, it tunes into Radio 3 FM. After about 10-20 seconds though, it switches to Radio 3 DAB without asking!

This totally confuses it when I thumb down, as it can't find Radio 3 DAB in the favourites list, so it jumps to the end of the favourites list (who knows why). I can then thumb up to go to Radio X.

Basically, it's really annoying. I don't want it to switch to DAB from an FM station! I have good signal strength on FM and it's far superior sound quality.

Any ideas? The only option I could find was enabling/disabling local station switching, and that made no difference.

Thanks for any suggestions (other than having a better choice of radio stations ;))

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello Richard,

I haven't found a solution to this yet, but confirm that you are not alone in having this problem. it drives me insane, all my favourites are set to FM stations, and the radio just switches to DAB on its own. :mad:

John.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
765 Posts
I imagine that the switching decision is based on a comparison of S/N or signal level, of the two possible programme sources.
But that should mean that some FM signals are not switched over until the DAB is a measured as superior - is that something you've noticed (the FM version being retained sometimes)?

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,626 Posts
Can you see if re-ordering the favourites list so the the FM stations are together and the DAB stations are together makes it more likely that it pops back into the list in a sensible place? I'd also try putting the Radio 3 DAB in the favourites list even though you don't like it as then theoretically it should control where you are in the list?

If you never want a DAB version of a station is there a way of editing the tuned stations so that one is deleted?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello @Richard Gledhill ,

OK it looks like if you manually tune the FM station, and then store that in your favourites (replacing the DAB favourite) it will hold on to FM. Downside is that the favourite appears as a frequency, and the radio displays no station information.

John.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Really. FM has had station info for donkey's years. Is there a setting needed to enable the display? (Probably indicated by some weird acronym.)
Well it worked on my front drive. The display showed frequency only and didn't switch, but by the time I'd got to the bottom of the road the station was displaying information and then switched to DAB :mad: so it looks like there's no way around this.

Sorry if I raised your hopes.

John

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions... I have the FM one in the favourites list but will try adding the DAB one to the last one in the list (#40 I think?). Then at least if I thumb "up" I should go back to #1, my usual favourite. Really annoying, this one!

I've reported it to High and Dry customer services so we'll see what they say.

Reactions: Ian McVey

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Well it worked on my front drive. The display showed frequency only and didn't switch, but by the time I'd got to the bottom of the road the station was displaying information and then switched to DAB :mad: so it looks like there's no way around this.

Sorry if I raised your hopes.

John
Ah, of course. It has to have the Station data, not just the frequency, to be able to find alternatives and decide to DAB you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
No silver bullet here, but you might find the information at this web site informative. This lists every UK FM transmitter with various technical details including frequency, location and coverage maps.
A particular FM station exhibiting the reception problem for you is BBC Radio 3.
Looking through the list it looks as if the best for you is the transmitter at Oxford. The coverage does extend to your area but is distinctly patchy. So it seems likely that when on the move you will probably enter a bad patch which could well give inferior reception compared to the DAB version, so a switch over to DAB would likely occur.
The subsequent automatic switching back to FM would then require the DAB to be inferior to FM, which just may not arise in your area...

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Dave. As you say, technically the DAB reception is probably stronger, but that doesn't mean the FM reception isn't fine. Basically, this should be an option rather than having the behaviour forced on you.

I received a particularly anaemic and rubbish response from Hyundai...

Thank you for your email.

I am very sorry to hear that you are having a few issues with your radio stations. The incredible Kona has the DAB within the specification. DAB is a superior quality sound. Not all radio stations have DAB and FM compatibility so the signal may change from DAB to FM where the signal is weak.

Many radio stations have DAB function and not FM and visa versa. I understand that the UK is working towards full DAB coverage for 2025.

I am very sorry it is not possible to turn off the DAB function as this is integrated within the AVN unit.

If you wish to remove any pre set radio stations on your vehicle, it will be required to carry out a factory reset to clear the favorites already set.

If you feel there is any faults on this system, I would recommend booking into your local Hyundai dealership so they can check that all is working as it should.
I've asked them to log it as a design flaw to be fixed in a later software update to the radio.

Let's just say I won't be holding my breath :rolleyes:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks Dave. As you say, technically the DAB reception is probably stronger, but that doesn't mean the FM reception isn't fine. Basically, this should be an option rather than having the behaviour forced on you.

I received a particularly anaemic and rubbish response from Hyundai...

I've asked them to log it as a design flaw to be fixed in a later software update to the radio.

Let's just say I won't be holding my breath :rolleyes:
Well there's nothing like resurrecting an old thread to raise eyebrows, but I'm doing so to impart some good news for those still interested @Richard Gledhill ?

The latest AVN (infotainment) update for the Kona now gives an option to disable DAB/FM switching. Result Richard, so even Hyundai listen to their customers - sometimes! 🤣

John.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Woooooooowwwwwwwwwww!!!!! I shall dig out the last response I got from Hyundai about it and reply to it, saying "Told you so!" :) Thank you John!

Reactions: Anaglypta

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's there! It works! It stayed on Classic FM all the way back, no more changing to dull, flat DAB (y)

Reactions: Anaglypta
1 - 15 of 15 Posts