Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone help with my eniro radio issue.
The radio is constantly losing connection to the radio, I cannot seem to find a way to stop this happening, has or is anyone else having the same problem?
Also, does the sat nav only work on live traffic when it is connected to your phone ?
Any help would be appreciated
Pauline

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi,
Can anyone help with my eniro radio issue.
The radio is constantly losing connection to the radio, I cannot seem to find a way to stop this happening, has or is anyone else having the same problem?
…. my e-Niro drops DAB radio connection, always at the same places geographically on my daily commute, on certain stations when the weather conditions are a certain way (Virgin Radio is particularly bad) - I therefore presume it to be signal strength based - its a DAB thing especially as my LEAF used to do the same, at similar locations - only cure might be a better better aerial but I have not looked into it - I just wait for it to come back, or change the station.
Andy

Reactions: Paulineb

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
DAB seems to be extremely variable, and mostly poor around here, but I have noticed a massive variation between different cars. The Prius I owned had an unusable DAB radio, it rarely, if ever, managed to get a signal, so I just stopped using it. The i3 was better, but I still had to use FM, as DAB would just drop out every minute or two. The Tesla Model 3 was brilliant, seemed to be able to suck a DAB signal out of pretty much every known signal black spot around here. The I-Pace is not as good as the Tesla, but a lot better than either the Prius or the i3.

I can only conclude that it probably depends very much on the antenna the manufacturer chooses to fit. I did notice that the Tesla used to default to DAB, though, and I had to dig around to get it to use FM by default. Not sure what the e-Niro does, but it may be worth looking to see if it's trying to always get a DAB signal, especially if DAB is a bit patchy in your area. The annoying thing with DAB is that it's all or nothing. One minute you have a seemingly perfect signal, the next you get five minutes of complete silence when it drops out. I prefer FM, as at least it's often still possible to here something, even if it has got a bit noisy.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
780 Posts
The annoying thing with DAB is that it's all or nothing. One minute you have a seemingly perfect signal, the next you get five minutes of complete silence when it drops out. I prefer FM, as at least it's often still possible to here something, even if it has got a bit noisy.
That's the problem in a nutshell. Being digital, DAB relies on getting a perfect signal which is very often difficult when on the move. So if the signal is not perfect.....nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DAB seems to be extremely variable, and mostly poor around here, but I have noticed a massive variation between different cars. The Prius I owned had an unusable DAB radio, it rarely, if ever, managed to get a signal, so I just stopped using it. The i3 was better, but I still had to use FM, as DAB would just drop out every minute or two. The Tesla Model 3 was brilliant, seemed to be able to suck a DAB signal out of pretty much every known signal black spot around here. The I-Pace is not as good as the Tesla, but a lot better than either the Prius or the i3.

I can only conclude that it probably depends very much on the antenna the manufacturer chooses to fit. I did notice that the Tesla used to default to DAB, though, and I had to dig around to get it to use FM by default. Not sure what the e-Niro does, but it may be worth looking to see if it's trying to always get a DAB signal, especially if DAB is a bit patchy in your area. The annoying thing with DAB is that it's all or nothing. One minute you have a seemingly perfect signal, the next you get five minutes of complete silence when it drops out. I prefer FM, as at least it's often still possible to here something, even if it has got a bit noisy.
Wooo you had a few nice cars there !
Thanks for the update

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
579 Posts
All the cars I've had with DAB radio (several VWs and a Nissan LEAF) switch to FM if DAB reception isn't good enough. I'm disappointed to read that other radios don't do the same - or maybe they do if they can, and it works for me because I usually have BBC R3 or R4 on and those stations are available on both DAB and FM.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
All the cars I've had with DAB radio (several VWs and a Nissan LEAF) switch to FM if DAB reception isn't good enough. I'm disappointed to read that other radios don't do the same - or maybe they do if they can, and it works for me because I usually have BBC R3 or R4 on and those stations are available on both DAB and FM.

Same here, but the Tesla did need to be configured to do this. Specifically, it needed to have the same stations stored in both the DAB and FM favourites. Once this was done it would switch from DAB to FM pretty seamlessly, but was a bit slower to switch the other way. Before configuring it like this, DAB would just shut off with the loss of signal.

·
Registered
738 Posts
That's the problem in a nutshell. Being digital, DAB relies on getting a perfect signal which is very often difficult when on the move. So if the signal is not perfect.....nothing.
No, digital transmissions do not require a "perfect" signal, that's really the main benefit of digital transmissions.
Kia and Hyundai cars from the past 3+ years have this option also. I used to turn it off deliberately because the FM signal of Absolute Radio in my area was pretty weak but still acceptable to me, and my cars would keep switching to the DAB signal in my area instead, which not only sounds worse but is mono. Doesn't matter now since Absolute Radio is no longer on FM.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,811 Posts
Compared to a Skoda, Toyota and Renault the DAB receiver in the Niro is poor. Crap antenna or amplifier…. Whatever the reason it does a worse job than other cars and is far less reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts