Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow e-Golfer’s.

My 2019 W registered plate eGolf arrived a few days ago. Just getting going with this car and very excited to use it.

Does anyone know how the mute the radio?

I want to use Google maps over Car Play - which is fine and I’ve started using. However in situations where I have Google maps running and I need to mute the volume of the radio which is playing at the same time, how do I do this easily?

I don’t want to turn down the global volume button on the infotainment system as that will turn the volume of everything off.

Thanks in advance.

Newbie eGolf driver, Bryan

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have no idea relating to the answer to this question since I don't get my car until tomorrow.

But - Carplay. I subscribe to OS maps on my phone. Does that mean that I will be able to display an OS map on the car's screen?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Back to your original question, @Bryski .., After some searching around other VW forums, it seems you can't do what you're asking with the Discover nav system. I wanted to find a way to do it too. My Octavia had a "Phone" button but no actual phone functionality, so that muted the radio. Apparently in VW models without the voice control features, the Voice button on the wheel does the same thing.

I rarely listen to the radio though, I tend to have Spotify on almost all the time. Android Auto is quite good in that when you plug in your phone to the USB it automatically plays Spotify if it was playing when you last unplugged it. Then, even with Google Maps visible on the screen, there's always a pause button visible too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back to your original question, @Bryski .., After some searching around other VW forums, it seems you can't do what you're asking with the Discover nav system. I wanted to find a way to do it too. My Octavia had a "Phone" button but no actual phone functionality, so that muted the radio. Apparently in VW models without the voice control features, the Voice button on the wheel does the same thing.

I rarely listen to the radio though, I tend to have Spotify on almost all the time. Android Auto is quite good in that when you plug in your phone to the USB it automatically plays Spotify if it was playing when you last unplugged it. Then, even with Google Maps visible on the screen, there's always a pause button visible too.
Thanks @Kansalis - I guess in a stressful situation where I need to concentrate I can always turn the volume knob right down. The other way to do it in a driving situation where I have more time on my hands is to switch from radio to something like Media (which invariably has nothing playing, and thereby will in-effect mute the radio) and then hit the App button which will just show my Google Maps, which will play through the existing volume level if that makes sense.

Overall I love the simplicity of my 8" screen. And can't wait to get stuck in more to my eGolf!

·
Registered
814 Posts
It's a convoluted way to get what you're looking for @Bryski, but if you have a decent data package on your phone could you use Android Auto to play the radio using an app? I have Player FM on my phone.

Then as has already been said when the Google lady is giving directions it'll turn down the radio volume, but the latest version of Android Auto also displays media controls as the bottom of the maps screen, so it's easy to quickly pause the radio/music if you want quiet in the background.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,605 Posts
I'm not sure, but in my MY15 GTE, I can control the volume for each separate source. I mean, there is a menu in the system, where I can see the various volumes: radio, navigation, etc. It also gives an option for reducing the radio volume when navigation plays instructions only (and even by how much to reduce it). I'm not sure if AndroidAuto is in the same menu as my car doesn't have it. But I have listened to my phone via bluetooth, and the same reduction of volume happens when the car navigation speaks.

You need to have a look at your settings in more detail...I'm sure you can basically "mute" your radio by setting only its volume to 0.

Reactions: Bryski

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a convoluted way to get what you're looking for @Bryski, but if you have a decent data package on your phone could you use Android Auto to play the radio using an app? I have Player FM on my phone.

Then as has already been said when the Google lady is giving directions it'll turn down the radio volume, but the latest version of Android Auto also displays media controls as the bottom of the maps screen, so it's easy to quickly pause the radio/music if you want quiet in the background.
Thanks Jayne! I have an iPhone X - I wonder if Android Auto will work with my iphone. Possibly not but no big deal. Cheers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure, but in my MY15 GTE, I can control the volume for each separate source. I mean, there is a menu in the system, where I can see the various volumes: radio, navigation, etc. It also gives an option for reducing the radio volume when navigation plays instructions only (and even by how much to reduce it). I'm not sure if AndroidAuto is in the same menu as my car doesn't have it. But I have listened to my phone via bluetooth, and the same reduction of volume happens when the car navigation speaks.

You need to have a look at your settings in more detail...I'm sure you can basically "mute" your radio by setting only its volume to 0.
Cheers Todor, will check it out.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's quite easy to set the volumes for the music & nav etc to automatically change when the nav is speaking so you can clearly hear it, but the use case I was thinking of was just being able to stop the radio playing without muting everything. The only way to do that seems to be change the audio source to something like an empty media source so nothing plays, which is a pain. The system could really do with a simple media pause, whatever the current source is. My Octavia would do that when I pressed the "Phone" button. If the radio is playing it would just mute it, if a CD or MP3 was playing from any source it would actually pause it, not just mute.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I haven't tried this but what happens when you press the power button to switch the radio off? I know that if we want to turn the radio off pressing the power button switches it off without turning the screen off but I don't remember trying that with the Nav or AA running.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't tried this but what happens when you press the power button to switch the radio off? I know that if we want to turn the radio off pressing the power button switches it off without turning the screen off but I don't remember trying that with the Nav or AA running.
I thought when I tried this it turned the whole infotainment screen off, but I'll give it another go soon. Cheers

·
Registered
Volkswagen e-Golf 2018
2,029 Posts
Thanks Jayne! I have an iPhone X - I wonder if Android Auto will work with my iphone. Possibly not but no big deal. Cheers
If you plug your iPhone in it will use CarPlay, which is the equivalent of Android Auto.

To answer your question, tyre is no mute button, but if you keep your finger on ‘volume down’ on the wheel or dash is quickly mutes it. You can control volumes independently, so when the voice directions are being played you can adjust the volume using the controls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts