Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice this problem has occurred. With no 12 V there is no power steering, brakes, etc. Dangerous. Time passes and probably when dry, the garage say they can find nothing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Who looked at it?

With no 12 volt battery there would be no dash displays either so you could not drive it.

What do you mean ‘rain kills 12 volt’?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,918 Posts
I think he's just saying the nonsense he's been fed by the dealer.

Unfortunately, this is the New World of EVs we've blundered into. No-one knows what's wrong with these things when they go wrong, except the dealers ... who occasionally know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who looked at it?

With no 12 volt battery there would be no dash displays either so you could not drive it.

What do you mean ‘rain kills 12 volt’?
I am reporting this for friend who is not on this forum. I think what I said was wrong. I do know his power steering, power brakes, and traction control goes off. Clearly an unsafe condition. I have asked for information on similar problems on other Tesla X groups. So far nothing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am reporting this for friend who is not on this forum. I think what I said was wrong. I do know his power steering, power brakes, and traction control goes off. Clearly an unsafe condition. I have asked for information on similar problems on other Tesla X groups. So far nothing.
I forgot to say that it had been to a Tesla Service centre twice. The second visit is on going. He has a loan car, and Tesla are still looking.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,918 Posts
The power steering may not be operated by 12V. This will be down to the control electronics not working, I doubt an actual power issue. Even if the 12V did power the steering, which is possible, it'd generally have to be directly connected to the battery, it is too high a power demand to put through an electronic switch. The only control feature for EPS these days to 'power off' is the actual control signal from software/control circuit, which is why there have been a few fires and such with early models of cars with EPS, they remain 'live'.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
How about you let Tesla fix it?

They will plug a computer into the car which will find out a lot more than you and us guessing at the problem without proper information about the faults.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts