Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a fair bit of driving in conditions that would make Noah nervous I have found myself underwhelmed by the automatic wipers.

The delay before they come on is a fraction too long, leaving the screen very wet and the transition from intermittent to continuous is....well.....intermittent. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Maybe the auto wipers on the MG are not meant to cover all conditions but in every other car I have driven they do.

Has anyone else noticed this or do I have a duff sensor going on? Car is due to visit the garage tomorrow so I would be interested in the experience of others so I know whether to moan or not.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have noticed this today also. I put it down to the smeary polish on the windscreen? Why do dealers insist on polishing the windscreen prior to selling, takes ages for it wear off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It doesn't seem to work very consistently. For example, during the same rainy journey it might work well at the beginning when it's light but it doesn't speed up very quickly, or even at all, when it suddenly becomes very heavy - this is regardless of the original sensitivity you've it set to. Conversely it can end up dry wiping on occasion when it stops raining.

It's not bad enough for me that I think it's broken though because it's not something that I'm aware of every time it rains. Cleaning the windscreen might be a reasonable first step if you haven't done that already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I don't own an MG (yet?), but rain sensor controlled wipe is a bit hit and miss in most cars I've used it in!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well, I don't own an MG (yet?), but rain sensor controlled wipe is a bit hit and miss in most cars I've used it in!
In the new Tesla models with V2 and above Autopilot, they did away with the standard rain sensor and are trying to use the standard cameras to provide rain detection. For the first 2 years of ownership they had no autowipe. They have it now, but the software is still described as BETA, and is appalling.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,398 Posts
Is there a sensitivity control on the wiper stalk? The Leaf ones are similar. They seem to wait and not do anything sometimes then they have a mad go at the screen. I quite often give them a squirt of screenwash to wake them up if it is just starting to rain and it's the light misty drizzle.

Only ones I didn't have to fiddle with much were the ones I had on a BMW. It had two settings and the most sensitive worked 99% of the time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I am yet to drive or be a passenger in a car that has automatic wipers that work well. Honestly not a feature that I'd pay extra for.

·
Registered
225 Posts
YES, I've certainly noticed this too. I'm sure it's not down to dealer wax, as we've done 3000 miles now, most of it in this appauling rain we've had in the UK this year. My previous 3 cars plus my current car (volvo v70) have all had excellent rain-sensing; very responsive, very accurate. The MG seems to be about 30 minutes behind with whatever conditions you're driving through. In particular, it won't go to constant wipe till you're pracically underwater! the sensitivity control doesn't seem to help. Another email to MG UK, I think....

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Our 225xe has them and they work well when set at high sensitivity.

My Excite doesn't have them but the intermittent is variable and fit for purpose. Another bit of underwhelming tech it seems, MG.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I spoke with the service manager about the rain sensor yesterday. We looked to see if it was specifically mentioned in software updates but, alas, no. On closer inspection it looks like a cheap internal reflection unit that is probably just a bit crap.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Disappointing regarding the rain sensor, but interesting that your dealer has a list of software updates - I wonder what other updates are available that we don't know about !?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He said that they don't provide all the details but they do have some headlines. I am sure the full logcat could be pulled but as the software is not open source it would not be appropriate to share it with customers. He did say that the improvements would not be readily noticeable day to day which suggests some playing around the edges rather than changes in functionality.

Wonder if I could have the software read at work :unsure:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts