Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Last night happened to look out of my window at car a my19 version. I saw one of the green charge indicator lights flashing. ?? I went out to investigate and I opened door so I could get a better view to see which of the 3 it was. Unfortunately it went off as I did this. I thought it was the first one, but this would mean it was charging and it was not plugged in. ?? I know the 2nd is reserved charging and 3rd is charging 12v.

Anybody else had this, cant be 100%, which light it was but def think it was 1st or 2nd.

Also the little red light in front of the green lights, I take it this is the alarm light, as this flashes when locked.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 12.24.43.png

Guessing it'll be the battery saver, I saw mine the other day but couldn't figure out which light it was from a distance.

Also the little red light in front of the green lights, I take it this is the alarm light, as this flashes when locked.
Yep!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having happened to catch my niro with its number 3 light blinking yesterday i am going to camp out beside it this afternoon to see exactly when it comes on again [should be 24 hours from when it went off] and how long it is on for. The day after that I will be back again to see whether it stops if I unlock the car and open the door, without turning the car on. If it does not stop at that point I can whip open the bonnet and put a meter on the 12v battery to see what its at.
Well I may as well do something with my time, being too old to be anything other than a liabilty otherwise...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I made the mistake of unlocking the car before the 12v charging cycle was due to begin yesterday. I wanted to open the bonnet to have access to the battery during charging, which I did. However no. 3 light never came on. So I think that even though I did not turn the car on, the act of unlocking it was enough to inhibit the 12v charge. I'm going to look again this afternoon, without unlocking anything, when 12v charging is due to begin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I checked my car yesterday but the light did not come on after 24 hours so I am very interested if you can work out the timing.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Don't forget the bonnet is alarmed and will trigger if opened, so the car wakes up. It is possible to jam the switch shut if you need the bonnet open whilst the car is locked.

The battery saver runs for 24 hours, then charges for 20 minutes, then waits another 24 hours exactly and then charges for 20 minutes. So the charging period slowly gets later in the day.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was just as you say Ian. It came on at the 24 hour mark and ran for 20 minutes exactly. I did not unlock anything.
Where is the switch that monitors the bonnet? The car is not under cover so I do not want to leave the bonnet open, but I suppose if I could trick that switch and leave the bonnet nearly right down, I would then be able to read the battery when it starts charging tomorrow.
The other idea I had was to get one of those usb splitter widgets that plugs into the "lighter" socket and has an illuminated voltage readout on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
On my 2020 Ioniq I noticed 2 wires on the bonnet catch itself and then found a small switch. Doubt it would take much to disable. Try looking there.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The bonnet alarm switch is in the front central lock mechanism. If you look in (to the nearside) you will see a small microswitch with a thin shiny actuation lever. That is the alarm switch. All I do is trigger the lock with a screwdriver.

Put the screwdriver into the mechanism from the motor side of the lock and under the front plastic lip.

Lever the screwdriver down to actuate the lock with a snap.

(you can see the shiny microswitch actuator lever in the above photo (the bright dot) and the supply cable.)

Remove screwdriver. That is it. You obviously cannot drive the car as the bonnet will not now close properly or lock down.

To re-open the lock simply pull the bonnet release lever inside the car under the dashboard as normal.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
You obviously cannot drive the car as the bonnet will not now close properly or lock down.
You can however, completely knacker your bonnet closure mechanism by forgetting and slamming the bonnet down. Doh! It'll happen at some point :eek::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone who can remember what the blinking lights means is a genius!
I saw one flashing light before when car wasn't on charge in garage but couldn't tell which one .
Recently I saw it again and made an effort to find which one.
It's the led nearest to the driver side on Rhd car.
My car wasn't locked but the led stopped flashing moment when I opened driver door and didn't come back on after I closed it.
12v battery on checking after the interruption read 12.84

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
283 Posts
I saw the flashing light while putting the bins out and, having totally forgotten about the 12v charge routine, I assumed it was something amiss so I checked the app which showed 0% SOC. once I’d totally panicked and grabbed the key, sure enough 76% and all was fine. Somewhat unnerving as I had somewhere to go and if the Niro was dead, it was blocking the other car. I wonder if there’s a bug that if the server queries the soc during battery saver it returns junk info, or perhaps just a random comms failure. Who knows.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,806 Posts
@idiotzoo that seems normal, i.e. bug. I have seen it with my Soul EV and there is a thread with some more.

Reactions: idiotzoo

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
283 Posts
That’s what I reckoned. I know better than to trust the app but alongside the unexpected light it was quite the surprise.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts