Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In no specific order, here are a few disjointed thoughts after 24 hours, happy to elaborate or answer any questions if anyone has them, will shoot some photos this evening and post them later

Things the leaf does better

1. The front mounted charge port is the right place to put it, I have a 5m type 2 cable that I bought from ZCW a while ago, its not long enough to reach from the charge point to the rear side mounted charge port. So I have to back the car into the parking slots, not a huge deal but makes life easier when its on the nose of the car

2. Leaf has both a start and stop time for charging - model S only has a start time, wouldn’t it make sense to have a “I leave for work @“ setting that starts the charge in enough time to give you a full SOC and get the car warmed up/cooled down in time

3. Leaf has more storage in the cabin, the only place to leave valuables is the small glove compartment (or in the boot or frunk)

Incredible things that just make sense

4. The Model S does not have a start button, you just get into the car, it recognises you have the key and someones in the driver seat, you press the brake pedal and put it into gear and it goes. However when you park up, put the break on you just get out, and it locks when you walk away, thats taking a little getting used to but still its fantastic. I am sure I will end up leaving other cars unlocked once I get used to doing this

5. Driver profiles - when my wife drove my leaf and left the seat in the wrong place really annoyed me, now thats no longer a problem just load my profile and everything is how I left it :)

6. Steering profiles - comfort (light for around town) standard (too light for me) and Sport - nice stiff firm steering - linked to drivers profiles, everyone can have what ever they want

7. Power tail gate, never thought this was needed but now think its amazing and a must have

8. Mobile app is great, can honk the horn or flash lights if you have lost your car in the car park at the airport

Nice surprises

9. I ordered the car with a single 11kw charger as I was lead to believe the superchargers would be in place by now, but a nice surprise Tesla fitted a second 11kw charger for free - no fuss just here you go :)

10. The RDIO (internet radio - like spotify) account is pretty cool, you just press the voice command button on the steering wheel say something like “play don’t stop me know by queen” and it goes off searches for it and plays it for you.

11. The 3G is pretty fast when you are in a 3g area however out here in the fens its useless :) which makes the tech package for navigation a must have. There are basically two sat nav systems. By default you get google maps on the BAS (Big Ass Screen) however without 3g its just an arrow in the middle of a BAS. The tech package adds storage of maps and puts the turn by turn on your instrument panel.

Shocks

12. The speed, OMG I was used to the leaf surprising people by how quickly it picks up but this is like a jet fighter, and just keeps going, I am going to have to be careful that I don’t get a speeding ticket.

13. It corners like its on rails, going to have to really learn to drive this as its so different to the leaf

14. Being a leaf driver I was alway aware of my SOC, yesterday I drove 150 miles did not even think about range, last night did not bother to plug in put another 50 on today and will charge it up tonight (maybe)

15. Locking wheel nuts were not standard and have to be ordered separately

16. No spare wheel is provided nor is a jack or tyre repair inflation kit the later has to be order separately.

17. No 13 amp EVSE is provided, you get a 7.5m type 2 cable - you can buy a Mekennes branded EVSE if you want one Circ £350 I actually bought one from EVConnectors which works well but it only charges at 10amps like most EVSEs or about 7miles per hour of charge, so I wont be using it unless its an emergency.

18. Backup camera is stunning quality, however it has no guide lines so taking some practice to reverse in to parking spots

Charging

19. I tried out the 22kw ecotricity at South Mimms and the new charger at Baldock, did not need either but wanted to check they both worked with the supplied cable and the tethered type 2 cables, very easy although I am a little concerned that someone walking around from the back of the car fast could catch the type 2 cable in the groin area :)

20. One thing thats taking a little getting used to is not just rocking up pulling out the cable, you have to unlock the cable from the charge port before you can extract it

21. Have not tried the supercharger yet,w ill be doing that next week on a trip down to docklands

22. I love it :D

So thats my first 24hr brain dump, happy to answer any Q

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
That's a great first review. I agree with the front charging port comment, especially for such a large car. I had an Ampera on trial for a few days last year and backing on to our driveway everytime to charge was a real pain.

Surprised about the locking wheel nuts being optional at this level, otherwise sounds fantastic.

What do you think of the interior, space, seats, comfort etc. ?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That's a great first review. I agree with the front charging port comment, especially for such a large car. I had an Ampera on trial for a few days last year and backing on to our driveway everytime to charge was a real pain.

Surprised about the locking wheel nuts being optional at this level, otherwise sounds fantastic.

I'm more suprised at the lack of jack/tyre repair kit. That seems very wrong!

Other than that, great review, which has done nothing to help the feelings of jealousy (although I have real doubts that I'd be able to fit it on my driveway...)

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
269 Posts
Yes. V Jealous. Gonna start looking at ways to get one again... was looking at the E-class hybrid today. All I kept thinking is boring and not a Tesla.

Thats fantastic to get the dual chargers. I wonder if it was easier to build a load with twin chargers.

Hows closing the frunk going? Carefully I hope? I'd be paranoid about it.

Did it come with mats? Was it brimmed to 100% on pick-up?

Are you going to opticoat it or anything? I know there is an opticoat place in Northants.

Do you find yourself sitting in it going through the menus at night? Got to be better that the opening to the commonwealth games :)

Thanks Jon for doing this. Think I'd be busy playing.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Space in the front is incredible, with no center console it feels very roomy indeed. I am 6' 1 and have no issues at all, in the back my head is on the roof and if I had to sit there for a long time I would feel a little cramped but if you not quite as tall as me you will be fine. 3 normal sized adults can easily sit in the back.Leg room is ok in the back however the driver and front passenger seats are hard backed so could be a problem if the driver needs to put the seat back a long way

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. V Jealous. Gonna start looking at ways to get one again... was looking at the E-class hybrid today. All I kept thinking is boring and not a Tesla.

Thats fantastic to get the dual chargers. I wonder if it was easier to build a load with twin chargers.

Hows closing the frunk going? Carefully I hope? I'd be paranoid about it.

Did it come with mats? Was it brimmed to 100% on pick-up?

Are you going to opticoat it or anything? I know there is an opticoat place in Northants.

Do you find yourself sitting in it going through the menus at night? Got to be better that the opening to the commonwealth games :)

Thanks Jon for doing this. Think I'd be busy playing.

I think its easier to just give dual chargers to the few who did not order them otherwise they would have to re design them, from what i understand the charger is 16amps per phase x 3 = 11kw so to charge at 30amps from home charger they either need to hack the charger to deliver mock two phase on pins or put in the 2nd charger and deliver 16amps to each charger. They did ask chargemaster to modify the charge points but I wonder if it was easier and cheaper to just put in two chargers

The DS was very specific on how to close the frunk, so I have been learned :)

Yes came with mats and was charged to 100% on delivery, they then set it to 90% normal charge during the walk through

No not going to opticoat it, never done it with any car I have had

not just last night but 15 mins ago when I leaned of a new feature I wanted to go test :)

·
Super Moderator
11,993 Posts
Great review. Thanks for posting.

A few comments:

Leaf is an economy car at heart. Not a bad thing, but people sometimes forget that because of the EV premium. It is ok, but I'm hoping to get something better next time around.

Driver profiles are common in Luxury cars. BMWs have had it for years. In a BMW everything sets to whatever key unlocked the car. Our 2004 325i was the first one we owned that would set the mirrors, seats, air con and radio presets.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great review. Thanks for posting.

A few comments:

Leaf is an economy car at heart. Not a bad thing, but people sometimes forget that because of the EV premium. It is ok, but I'm hoping to get something better next time around.

Driver profiles are common in Luxury cars. BMWs have had it for years. In a BMW everything sets to whatever key unlocked the car. Our 2004 325i was the first one we owned that would set the mirrors, seats, air con and radio presets.

Still love my leaf, not getting rid of it just yet (wife has adopted it for now), agree however the spec of the mk1 was not exactly povety spec, it had features many expensive cars have

Agree its not new just new to me, its however not linkeked to the keys you have to press a button on the touch screen to setup the profile. I am sure it could be added later by software upgrade

·
Registered
707 Posts
I agree with the front charging port comment, especially for such a large car. I had an Ampera on trial for a few days last year and backing on to our driveway everytime to charge was a real pain.
I suppose that it really has to do with where you locate the charging station in your garage in relation to the charging connector on the car. I installed the charging station on a side-wall instead of in-front of the car, and so the charging station usually is just a few feet from the charging door on the Volt. If I were to pull-in a Leaf to charge, the long cable would still reach, but I would need to walk-around to the front.

I would agree, however, that putting the charging connector towards the rear of the car was not ideal. The Leaf and the Volt/Ampera both have it on the front-end, and since you're far more-likely to drive forwards into a charging stall rather than back-into it, the rear location of the charging connector seems less-ideal.

This may have been deliberate on the part of Tesla's design team to encourage drivers to back-into the charging stall. Such behaviour seems safer because when you arrive you have better visibility of the car park. When you leave you're likely distracted and so backing out in a quiet car seems more-likely to have incidents. Certainly in my experience with the Volt it's been backing-out that's a bit sticky (plus, the Volt has poor visibility out of the back).

·
Registered
551 Posts
Well done, Sir, Thanks for review... really helpful !

How are you finding the size ?
How were tesla ? on delivery, explains, clean, car perfection ? (a friend locally had a few issues with is MS delivered 2 weeks ago .. maybe OK now as west drayton open and they are probably better manned ).
Did you get the Glass roof ? .. not tried one with this yet, but would be a top option for me (near to an open top as poss)
On google maps (at least on android) you can save areas to memory .. have you tried search "OK Maps" .
it would be a bummer for owners who have weak 3G but no tech package.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How are you finding the size ?
How were tesla ? on delivery, explains, clean, car perfection ? (a friend locally had a few issues with is MS delivered 2 weeks ago .. maybe OK now as west drayton open and they are probably better manned ).
Did you get the Glass roof ? .. not tried one with this yet, but would be a top option for me (near to an open top as poss)
On google maps (at least on android) you can save areas to memory .. have you tried search "OK Maps" .
it would be a bummer for owners who have weak 3G but no tech package.
Size is not an issue so far, but to be honest I have not tried to squeeze it into a london car park (that joy will come next week)

Tesla were great, car was spotless, they replaced a door panel as they found a scuff mark on their final check so that delayed us about 10 mins

No did not get glass roof, never really liked sun roofs, probably something to do with being folically challenged :)

Lots of discussion online about caching of maps but it does not seem like it does any right now, however it does seem to be a highly requested feature so we will have to see what comes in V6 software

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Sounds great, please keep the updates coming, nice format to skim through too.

Surprised about the lack of locking wheel nuts more than than anything else, shame it's RDIO rather than Spotify, or can you have both?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds great, please keep the updates coming, nice format to skim through too.

Surprised about the lack of locking wheel nuts more than than anything else, shame it's RDIO rather than Spotify, or can you have both?
Elon is on record as saying Spotify did not want to work with them to develop a client, however he thinks that may change in time

Rdio is built into the car so works with the voice recognition systems

You can still stream Spotify from your phone.

Elon eluded to apps coming in the future so suspect we may have multiple options in the future

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Brilliant review and great that you have owned a Leaf to compare it too as well, going to get a test drive in one next week as I have a week off then spec it out for ordering.

would love to see some more pictures and or videos of how you are getting on.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Personally, I think the charge port is in a perfect location since I always back into my drive (backing out into our narrow road is difficult) and the chargemaster unit is on the side of the house, perfect location. However, at Stafford North, backing into the stall there could be difficult if there's another car parked there too! In any event, the 7.5m Type 2 cable Tesla supply can reach all the way to the back even if you drive into the charging bay like you're in a Leaf.

It's impossible to describe the acceleration, even in my non-performance model. I've never experienced anything like it!

I also have the twin chargers (having ordered just one), nice.

I also went for the solid roof.

·
Super Moderator
7,542 Posts
I wonder if supplying twin chargers is the permenant solution for getting a 32a charge on single phase or if a reworked charger design will come?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if supplying twin chargers is the permenant solution for getting a 32a charge on single phase or if a reworked charger design will come?
No way to tell, tesla are not even talking about supplying dual chargers, you just find out when you plug in

·
Super Moderator
7,542 Posts
Well I guess that means it's not the long term fix, so they are just not talking about it since otherwise the people who order (and get) a single charger that does do 32a single and 16a 3phase will kick up a fuss that they "deserve" the twin chargers for free:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,542 Posts
Nice surprise for you though! Those ecotricity rapids are looking a bit more useful for a bit of a boost, I bet! :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts