Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's some things I recently discovered:
  • Pressing the lock button to make the car think you've gone away so that you can then use the app to precondition while you're charging means that your charging session will end. It's also annoying as the car then demands you place the keycard on the pad before it will allow you to start it.
  • Getting out of the car, walking away enough for the car to not see the keycard, telling the app to precondition the car, then getting in the car as soon as the signal is sent is the easiest and best way to precondition while charging.
  • Some wireless charging pad things (ZE50 R135 GT Line inductive charging pad not compatible...)
  • The ZE50 seems to stop HV Battery heating (or maybe doesn't even do it?) as soon as the charge session ends.. which when you start a charge on 99% seems a bit premature (bug?), unlike the ZE40 which would continue until all the cells are on average ~14oC on a 22kW (and consume around 1kW on a 7kW charger until the cells are an average of 8oC). The car actually seems more dead to the world when plugged into a charger and the charge session has finished.
  • In icy weather the ZE40 flap can freeze closed and need a bit of encouraging to release but on the ZE50 it seemed more reliable.
  • In icy weather don't forget to tell the folding mirrors not to auto fold!
  • A tyre that has lost pressure will warn which specific tyre is the issue (new to ZE50).. however when driving not only can you get the tyre pressures to appear for each tyre.. but after a bit of driving the tyres can appear the same pressure but the warning still doesn't clear.
  • Pressing VOL UP + VOL DOWN stalk simultaneously will pause music when supported (iPhone, Android Auto) but only mute when not (Android Bluetooth no Auto).. I'd have to check this again to make sure I have this the right way around.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
646 Posts
I might have to try this workaround for preconditioning. I've tried everything else!

So what's the order of events?

Start charging. Walk away until car locks. Launch preconditioning from app. Do I then get back in the car immediately?

Reactions: Matthew

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yesterday while starting a charge on a rapid I set a pre condition on the easylink for 20 mins ahead assuming it would get to 40% by then, when it was at 38% I remembered the car needs to be locked so pressed the lock button on the fob and pre con started straight away. I was then able to open the door and charge continued.
I think it can be started at a lower SOC if on charge (maybe only from easylink setting) and it runs for longer when set on the easylink as opposed to app launch button.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I’m sure starting the pre conditioning doesn’t stop the charge session. They’ve always ran happily side by side for me 🤷🏽

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might have to try this workaround for preconditioning. I've tried everything else!

So what's the order of events?

Start charging. Walk away until car locks. Launch preconditioning from app. Do I then get back in the car immediately?
Pretty much that.. you can get back in whenever you want to. It was -5oC when I was charging so I didn’t hang about for long.. I kept looking at the PodPoint post’s LEDs to work out if the charge session ended (which is how I know screwing around with the lock button does end it) and it didn’t stop whistling or charging. I realised afterwards it should have been obvious to me that this would have worked.. but with the state the world is in right now my time with the ZE50 has been a bit sporadic.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m sure starting the pre conditioning doesn’t stop the charge session. They’ve always ran happily side by side for me 🤷🏽
They do but preconditioning itself won’t start unless the car is locked and pressing the lock button kills the charge.. it’s more an issue with how to lock the car in a way that doesn’t kill the charge session.. and the issue with killing the charge session while preconditioning is your preconditioning is then happening from the battery rather than the EVSE negating why you were probably there charging in the first place.

I did observe a change in behaviour on the ZE40 which if the ZE50 shares some code may also be of interest. But on the ZE40 after a firmware upgrade when the cells are warm (i.e. after a good precondition that on a 22kW post will take them to at least 14oC) pressing the precondition will cause a Battery Charge Impossible error and you have to lock the car and wait for 2 relays to click. I’ve checked the Diagnostic Trouble Codes in CanZE and I see wrnLights for

• U Safety Module (renault ID: 1337, DTC921114, B11114) – USM supply Batt Pre BDU, circuit short to ground or open, Flags:confirmedDtc, faildSinceCLear, wrnLight

• Battery Connection Box (renault ID: 2093, DTC062647, P02647) - Rectifier micro-controller, watchdog / safety uC failure, Flags:tstFail, tstFailThisOp, confirmedDtc, faildsinceClear, wrnLight

Some other stuff such as circuit current above threshold, S2 relay control component protection time-out etc... but I figured the wrnLight are the big ones.

Not sure if this is a feature or a bug.. however I think I managed to trigger it even on a new ZE50.. so I think it‘s software rather than hardware.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts