Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a BMW i3 for 3 years and loved it. The 100 mile range wasn't generally a problem but on longer journeys finding broken charging points did provoke some range anxiety when getting below 20 miles remaining.

I thought that when I replaced it with a 260 mile Kia e-Niro range anxiety would be a thing of the past. However it's changed.

I have just come back from my first long trip to Cumbria which was great. A top up at Lancaster P&R meant we arrived in Keswick with plenty of juice in the tank. Booths has 4 Instavolt chargers which kept us charged up while we were there.

On the way back I noticed a new phenomenon - as soon as the remaining range dropped below 100 miles I started getting range anxiety. This is stupid because that would have represented a full charge in the i3. It just got me thinking about perceptions of range.

Anyway, we arrived home without a top-up and still had 40 miles left in the tank.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think a lot of it is confidence in the accuracy of the range readings, is it actually X miles and will it fall steadily with actual mileage, or is it less and will it start dropping sharpl and catch you out.

Same with an ICE car when you take it below your own personal minimum, how much do you trust that gauge and range forecast at the bottom end where you rarely go.

·
Registered
Outlander
4,053 Posts
... finding broken charging points
... or the wrong kind of charging points
... or finding access to the charging point blocked
... or the wrong mobile phone signal (surely a good idea to let EV charging register on the emergency band?)

Same with an ICE car when you take it below your own personal minimum, how much do you trust that gauge and range forecast at the bottom end where you rarely go.
I once ran out of fuel with an ICE. I walked to the petrol station and carried back a can of fuel. Range reality!

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I used to get more range anxiety in my Ampera than the Leaf 30 that followed it. I just wanted to keep it in electric mode for complete journeys and it put me on edge. Loved everything else about the car though.

Our Kona lulls us in to a false sense of security. Don't generally pay any attention to range. Occasionally it creeps up on us towards the end of a long journey as we're not very used to seeing the remaining range dipping below 30 miles.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think a lot of it is confidence in the accuracy of the range readings, is it actually X miles and will it fall steadily with actual mileage, or is it less and will it start dropping sharpl and catch you out.

ICE cars have soo much buffer though, it doesnt matter.

Once, driving to blackpool, i sailed past the fuel stop i meant to make on the M6, and decided i'd just head for Tesco in blackpool as i knew where that was. The "remaining range" counter tripped to 0 miles remaining, just as i joined the M55. Tesco is 15miles away from there. I set the cruise to 65 and just got on with it. Arrived at tesco, granted with some range anxiety, but it wasnt really a big worry. The cars usually got about a gallon of fuel left when it displays 0, and thats enough to do well over 15miles. As a result, i almost NEVER worry about running an ICE right down near zero. Because i know theres probably still 20-30miles left after that, and its difficult to find yourself in a situation where you cannot find fuel in a 20mile radius.

The main issue i have with the EV is the wild differences in range that you end up with. On a good day, i can get to work on 50% battery. This morning, i used 70%. A few weeks ago i managed to use 80% driving a 40mile round trip to my brothers. So knowing you've got x% remaining actually doesnt help you all that much, and thus you worry if the range is going to inexplicably vanish.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can get behind this. I have a MG ZS EV and my OH has a 60Ah i3 REx. For some irrational reason, dropping below 100 miles in the MG makes me a bit edgy whereas the i3 has less range than that fully charged!!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,386 Posts
is it actually X miles and will it fall steadily with actual mileage, or is it less
In the really hot weather the MG will perform extremely well, until you've been pushing the battery for an hour and a bit. Then the mileage will drop by quite a chunk. I was travelling back from Wolverhampton up the M6 and whilst the battery wasn't full I had a good 35 - 40 mile buffer when I set off. Everything was going fine and as usual I kept an eye on remaining range, which stayed fairly stable. After about that hour, I looked again and the buffer was now down to 17 miles with about 15 to go. Slowing down didn't help much, but kept the figures in the ballpark. We did a quick top up in Stafford and arrived home safely. It's happened twice and both times the temperature was in the 30's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts