Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when we got our 40kwh leaf in August a full charge would give something like 150 miles. Not that we give it a full charge very frequently.

Just noticed that 80% estimates 105 miles tonight.

A month ago a 78% charge estimated
128 mile range ?

Is it just the colder weather ?

·
Registered
40 Leaf
281 Posts
Yup mine too, it’s weather, I was getting 165 miles displayed on the GOM when fully charged.

It’s dropped to 145 this week, it also swallows power on the first couple of short trips in the morning which I’m guessing is the battery heaters doing their thing.

I think it perfectly normal in the cold.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,271 Posts
Do give your car a full charge to 100% past the point where the dash lights stop flashing once or twice a month at least to help with cell balancing. This can make a difference to your range and give you a few extra miles when the battery is happy and balanced. It also helps your battery to wear more evenly and should avoid weak cells being a problem later down the line.

Generally speaking though, as above its perfectly normal. Your range is an estimate based on your recent driving style. If your efficiency has been poor recently then you'll see lower numbers with a full charge. Plus the battery itself doesn't perform as well when it's cold either.

Remember that wind and rain (we've had a lot of both recently) can add a lot of resistance, especially at higher speeds. That, mixed with heater use is probably where your extra miles have gone. Just don't be too surprised when it goes even lower once its sub-zero and you're also dealing with snow and ice.

·
Registered
2020 Vauxall Corsa E
873 Posts
So when we got our 40kwh leaf in August a full charge would give something like 150 miles. Not that we give it a full charge very frequently.

Just noticed that 80% estimates 105 miles tonight.

A month ago a 78% charge estimated
128 mile range ?

Is it just the colder weather ?
All cars loose range in adverse weather. It's just that we're more aware of it with the more limited range of an EV. Even the battery capacity is reduced in cold weather. Energy is expended moving water out of the way.

Which is why the guessometer has to look at how much range you've been getting in recent days. I tend to ignore it.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
It’s dropped to 145 this week, it also swallows power on the first couple of short trips in the morning which I’m guessing is the battery heaters doing their thing.
I wasn't aware that any UK spec Leaf had a battery heater. Only Canada and Nordic countries. Are you sure it has a battery heater ?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,271 Posts
I wasn't aware that any UK spec Leaf had a battery heater. Only Canada and Nordic countries. Are you sure it has a battery heater ?
To my knowledge it was only the very early 24kWhs that were made in Japan and sold in the UK which have battery heaters. Definitely none of these more recent models as far as I am aware.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
989 Posts
Perhaps @Drewby80 is referring to the resistive heater that helps out the heat pump in cold weather, it adds to the extra draw on the traction battery now the weather is getting colder. I think this is the thrust of what is being alluded to and not battery heating.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
281 Posts
Only Canada and Nordic countries. Are you sure it has a battery heater ?
Forgive my ignorance on this I was under the impression they did warm their batteries to get them to optimum operating temperatures when cold in the morning.

I read some forum posts on this a couple of months ago, come to think of it they may have been Canadian!

I have noticed that my SOC drops more rapidly during The first couple of trips I make first thing when the pack has chilled to ambient overnight.

I assumed (I know “ass-u-me”) that this was attributed to the pack heater bringing the pack up to temp.

I don’t really feel the cold so I only generally run my seat heat / heated steering wheel with no cabin heating when driving unless it’s really cold which seems to make almost no difference to range / consumption.

So I’m guessing that my battery temperature gauge climbing is entirely attributed to the resistance in the pack as it’s first used in the AM.

So is the increased power use first thing attributed to the battery working less efficiently because it’s cold?

Sometimes I’ve noticed that I can loose 4% when it’s cold and the same journey would only consume 2-3% once the battery temperature gauge has risen.

Does it just work less efficiently when the packs cold?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts