Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a thought...

With a normal ICE the car uses the engine to travel every mile and so mileage is a fair indicator of the wear on the engine. I accept that some engines will be trashed and some not but generally speaking, most engines are not thrashed and mileage is indicative of wear... and hence remaining live of the engine.

With the Ampera, or any ER-EV, this is not at all the case. Some Amperas will be used almost exclusively for short runs never using the range extender. Some will be used almost exclusively on longer trips where the RE gets used almost all the time. These two cars could be similar mileage and yet have REs with hugely different wear and tear.

I wonder if there is a way to get the number of hours that the RE has run? Miles are clearly meaningless as a way to indicate the wear on the RE but hours of use might be a good indicator if we can get the figures?

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
Agreed there needs to be a way to get this out - something like the Last Charge screen but for the whole mileage.

A crude approximation comes from the lifetime MPG - i.e. if the MPG on the ICE is normally 48 MPG and the car has a lifetime average of 192 MPG then you know the engine has been on for about a quarter of the miles.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point David... I hadn't thought of that. It is quite crude but it is a guide for sure. Thx.

Can the Lifetime MPG be reset? I realise it wouldn't be "Lifetime" then but that is really my point... if it can then it would be good to know... a bit like clocking an ICE if you like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The other option is to always log your ICE miles before you charge the car and the and the data is erased, this way you'll know exactly how many ICE miles the car has..

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would work but I can't see many people, me included, being that organised and it would be very easy to fake! It really needs to be foolproof if it is to mean anything IMO.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There is a way to calculate this by checking the oil life display which I assume is calculated in running hours. I was told by the salesman that a lot of information is stored on the hard disc including the speed you have been driving at. If this is true then it would be good for us to ask for a print out each year of ice running hours etc.
Geoff

·
Registered
395 Posts
Why not just keep a note of all the petrol you have put in and average that at around 50 mpg - that should be a reasonable guide?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"keeping notes" is not going to happen in my case Ray and I suspect that having that degree of organisation and record keeping rather defies the "get in and drive" way many people use their cars.

I have tried keeping fuel records in the past with previous cars. I start out recording everything writing down the details each time I fill up but then it fizzles out and eventually I drop the whole idea. I just does work for me and I suspect I am not alone.

It really needs to be part of the car and there is no reason why this kind of data should be available really.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have also left the first trip setting alone since I had the car so it shows the full mileage and the total amount of petrol used - so it is there if you have not played with both trip settings...

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
Good point David... I hadn't thought of that. It is quite crude but it is a guide for sure. Thx.

Can the Lifetime MPG be reset? I realise it wouldn't be "Lifetime" then but that is really my point... if it can then it would be good to know... a bit like clocking an ICE if you like.
When my battery was replaced the lifetime mpg was reset; the implication is that the lifetime mpg is actually stored somewhere in the battery. Nothing else was reset, e.g. trip counter and radio presets all remained as they were. Whether they can choose to reset the lifetime mpg without changing the battery, I have no idea.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
"keeping notes" is not going to happen in my case Ray and I suspect that having that degree of organisation and record keeping rather defies the "get in and drive" way many people use their cars.

I have tried keeping fuel records in the past with previous cars. I start out recording everything writing down the details each time I fill up but then it fizzles out and eventually I drop the whole idea. I just does work for me and I suspect I am not alone.

It really needs to be part of the car and there is no reason why this kind of data should be available really.
I have recorded every bit of fuel I have put in my cars since 1984. How sad is that :oops:
I even have it all written down in the same book that is falling apart now!!
In 1984 it cost me £11 to fill up my Nova

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
RayG said:
I have also left the first trip setting alone since I had the car so it shows the full mileage and the total amount of petrol used - so it is there if you have not played with both trip settings...
Me too, but it has diverged from the lifetime mpg figure - particular since the car was in the garage last month. There is now a 3 mpg difference.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
I have kept a book in my Ampera in which I record petrol purchased and the receipt. It allows me to track how much petrol I am buying and total cost. I have not recorded when I charge as it is too often!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh dear! It seems more people do this than I had thought!!!

All respect to you guys that do keep records. I wish I could be as organised.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,501 Posts
I have fuel records for all the cars/motorbikes I have owned, scary how much fuel has risen and for my current Corsa all that has been spent on both petrol and LPG along with repairs, servicing and MOTs etc. It was mainly to see if the cost of the LPG option was repaid over the lifetime that I owned the car. I intend to do the same with the Ampera but will have to find out how I can record the electricity used for charging with reasonable accuracy.

·
Registered
395 Posts
To record the electric used, just have a meter fitted in line with the socket or charging unit you use.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
RayG said:
To record the electric used, just have a meter fitted in line with the socket or charging unit you use.
Me too. I've been keeping a spreadsheet, which I update each time I buy petrol (which isn't very often), and every so often I update the meter reading after the car is fully charged. So I know exactly how much I've spent on 'fuel' of both sorts, and the sheet also tracks how much I would have spent on fuel and road tax in my previous car for the same distance and time and shows me how much I've saved in running costs :)

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
RayG said:
I bought a plug-in meter at Maplin today (£9.99). It displays voltage, current, power, power factor, peak power, total usage, and electricity cost with up to two different prices at different times of day.

It will be interesting to see what sort of figures it produces. The main thing I noticed so far is that when I plugged it in it registered 244V dropping to 243V when I plugged in the car, and later on 233V when the sun was mostly gone off the solar panels so that's a significant voltage drop on the wiring out to the garage: when I remember I should compare it against the voltage reported by the solar panel inverter. Also it started at almost exactly 10A but crept up slightly a bit later; I should check next time whether the power remains constant.

Manual

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,501 Posts
Duncan said:
RayG said:
I bought a plug-in meter at Maplin today (£9.99). It displays voltage, current, power, power factor, peak power, total usage, and electricity cost with up to two different prices at different times of day.

It will be interesting to see what sort of figures it produces. The main thing I noticed so far is that when I plugged it in it registered 244V dropping to 243V when I plugged in the car, and later on 233V when the sun was mostly gone off the solar panels so that's a significant voltage drop on the wiring out to the garage: when I remember I should compare it against the voltage reported by the solar panel inverter. Also it started at almost exactly 10A but crept up slightly a bit later; I should check next time whether the power remains constant.

Manual
I have something similar however I am in the process of having a charging point installed so will need to look for something that can be hardwired.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts