Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

I am looking at the possibility of an Electric Van which is perfect for 95% of what we do around town, but for the occasional once a month trip we make that is approx 360 mile round trip, it is not really suitable.

What I am asking of someone more technical than myself in terms of the vehicle side of things, would it be possible to retro fit a range extender to an EV... ?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Possibly... at a stretch, but that would be a minimum of 4 charges (2 hours downtime) and that is also assuming the the conditions are all in our favour, weather, traffic, etc.

It is a trip that consists of 4 locations to stop at approx 45mins at each location. So without the charging time it is approximately an 8 hour trip for an employee.

Then with the risk of traffic, offline chargers, etc, I would feel more comfortable if we had something that could get that bit extra range out of the vehicle.

Mark

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Carrying a 240V generator springs to mind, but I don't know if the particular van allows charging while driving, and if not, if it's a trivial thing to overcome.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,659 Posts
Carrying a 240V generator springs to mind, but I don't know if the particular van allows charging while driving, and if not, if it's a trivial thing to overcome.
If you run it inside the van it will reinforce the reason people are switching to EVs :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Have you considered hiring a van once a month for the long journey? I pay around £50 day when I hire and using an EV for rest of month would probably save more than that.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
Ha. However it is interesting that nothing has really changed in that time, although that journey may be feasible in the forthcoming 40kWh ENV200. I guess the LEVC REX van is the real solution to the original question.

Zero emissions capable Light Commercial Van announced

Reactions: ringi
1 - 9 of 9 Posts