Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry I can’t see another thread on this.

My mate has an E Niro and claims he gets very poor range: one 146 mile trip used 76% of his battery.

I got my lovely E Niro this week and I’ve looked into this carefully I hope, and it seems to me that most people find the range pretty good maybe 260 miles on average?

I had a phev before so I know how to drive frugally and use regen.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
68 mph on a not very cold (8°C) but a wet and windy day in May gave me 2.8mi/kWh in a Kona - so about 160 miles from 100% down to 10%.

Headwind is the most important factor to be aware of.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You could not find another thread on "range anxiety"? wow... the most common and popular topic... and gets "reinvented" all the time...
Hmm, that's a little harsh, perhaps? OP's real problem, ISTM, is that he's just splashed out a load of dosh on a lovely new car only for a so-called "mate" (might want to review that situation) to tell him how useless it is. He's now having buyer's remorse and is seeking reassurance specifically on his eNiro...

Try this one: Realistic range with luggage
Or this one: What's your furthest distanced travelled from a...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,813 Posts
So to set your mind at ease, our Niro 4 routinely gets well over 4 miles per kW and, from a full charge to worryingly low, getting the stated 280 miles is fine. It all depends on the conditions and how you drive. A driving instructor in Nottingham is achieving well over 300 miles on a charge, obviously there’s a lot of gentle city driving as part of that.

·
3,756 Posts
Unless you can’t charge at home and don’t have easy access to public charging at home, the range / efficiency that really matters is in the worst case scenario.

In the UK, this will generally be on a single journey on the motorway, doing 70 odd, in heavy rain, against a head wind and with temperatures around zero, or below.

In those circumstances, a full charge would get you about 150 miles. But of course, in those conditions you may want/have to slow down quite a lot - in which case you should be able to still see closer to 200 miles (most of the time).

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
@IanBrooket - Sorry, we all forgot to welcome you to the forum after your first entry. Probably we were all fazed by your mention that you couldn't see a thread on range anxiety - which has to be the most discussed topic over EV life that has ever been seen.

Anyway, welcome.

Your wind-up 'mate' obviously failed to also mention one journey, on a warm calm day, where he drove 200 miles across rural countryside and had 100 miles remaining at the end.

The Kia e-Niro is legendary for its efficiency. As are all the Korean cars tbh. And as you will have had experience with your Outlander of managing your driving to use electrons as much as possible then your move to a full BEV will be seamless and you will quickly understand the effect of adverse weather conditions and how to cope. At all other times these cars will easily give you the rated range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@IanBrooket - Sorry, we all forgot to welcome you to the forum after your first entry. Probably we were all fazed by your mention that you couldn't see a thread on range anxiety - which has to be the most discussed topic over EV life that has ever been seen.

Anyway, welcome.

Your wind-up 'mate' obviously failed to also mention one journey, on a warm calm day, where he drove 200 miles across rural countryside and had 100 miles remaining at the end.

The Kia e-Niro is legendary for its efficiency. As are all the Korean cars tbh. And as you will have had experience with your Outlander of managing your driving to use electrons as much as possible then your move to a full BEV will be seamless and you will quickly understand the effect of adverse weather conditions and how to cope. At all other times these cars will easily give you the rated range.
Thanks for the welcome. I’d say that “range anxiety” is the fear of running out during a journey?

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
Sorry I can’t see another thread on this.

My mate has an E Niro and claims he gets very poor range: one 146 mile trip used 76% of his battery.

I got my lovely E Niro this week and I’ve looked into this carefully I hope, and it seems to me that most people find the range pretty good maybe 260 miles on average?

I had a phev before so I know how to drive frugally and use regen.
146 miles definitely could use 76%, but it might also only use 50%, just depends on how your mate was driving. Bit like how a petrol car can get 40mpg, but can also get 25mpg.

My eNiro has averaged 3.5mpkwh over the last 4,700 miles. That's a range of 224 miles from 100% to empty.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,813 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I’d say that “range anxiety” is the fear of running out during a journey?
There are two distinct anxieties around EVs... Range anxiety is what folk talk about but I don't really think it's a problem any more. It was definitely a thing when an EV would only realistically do 100 miles and then if it's colder than expected you might not have enough range to complete the journey. I have no range anxiety at all with the Niro, though I wonder if folk who've bought a Mini electric might still feel it.

The other issue, that I've certainly felt a bit over the last couple of weeks, is charger anxiety. Chargers are either in use or broken, no rapids in an area, when plans A-G have all failed. This is what's identified as the infrastructure failure and it seems to be the sticking point for most people now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The other issue, that I've certainly felt a bit over the last couple of weeks, is charger anxiety. Chargers are either in use or broken, no rapids in an area, when plans A-G have all failed. This is what's identified as the infrastructure failure and it seems to be the sticking point for most people now.
I think that's it in a nutshell really. I am one of lifes' planners! so quite enjoy the challenge of route planning. Currently planning a return journey from Reading to Lincoln,(160 miles each way) but will be staying overnight as I get too tired to do the return journey the same day. Have a spreadsheet which looks great on paper, but when you check on charge sites many appear out of order, a few don't even exist, so have several options to juice up before the return journey. Happily the Holiday inn express has a BP charger, failing that MacDs has an instavolt down the road or Tesco round the corner from DS3 has a podpoint.I have apps galore, also signed up to source London who have 2 (currently broken) chargers opposite DD and the Bristol Network who have a hub at the science park near my mum. However have wimped out of taking Eric to Cornwall for now (500 miles round trip plus local journeys) until I've done a few medium range journeys to see what he's capable of. I am "its all about the journey" whereas OH is "get me to the destination ASAP" :)

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,469 Posts
is charger anxiety. Chargers are either in use or broken, no rapids in an area, when plans A-G have all failed. This is what's identified as the infrastructure failure and it seems to be the sticking point for most people now.
Is this based on actual experience or just a fear? Despite running around in a LEAF30 (<100 miles range in the wet) I've never had to go beyond Option C or a 20 minute wait for another car to complete a Rapid charge.
I am old enough to remember the days when petrol stations didn't open on Sundays and most shut at Saturday lunchtimes meaning that weekend journeys needed planning. Some people had similar fears then but I never recall it being an actual issue with people being stranded. On the other hand I do admit to having to empty the contents of the fuel hoses into my moped on a couple of occasions but that was due to a lack of money ......

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
Well yes. But there is no such thing as 'range fear' because a driver should be well aware of the capability of the car so there is nothing to fear. Just involves planning within a known range. Of course, you may be meaning a situation of buyers remorse where you fear that your expectations were not being met and you regret buying that BEV. In which case, there is nothing to fear either as that car is very reliable over its expected range. You just need to tailor that to the weather and terrain circumstances. And either drive accordingly or plan a stop.

·
3,756 Posts
IME many seasoned owners aren’t really aware of the (in)capability of their cars in poor conditions. Many owners seem to view the capability through rose-tinted glasses and are then surprised by the impact of poor conditions.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
IME many seasoned owners aren’t really aware of the (in)capability of their cars in poor conditions. Many owners seem to view the capability through rose-tinted glasses and are then surprised by the impact of poor conditions.
I agree. But the OP's mate did no favours by that scare story. Prompting this thread. And it only takes one experience of a drive in bad weather to compare with the efficiency in normal weather for the owner to realise the large difference. And then be aware in future.

Of course, we have no info about the mate's scare story and whether he was driving like he stole it in poor weather. But it will take no time for the OP to gain his own experience of range achieved and realise that the scare story was indeed an edge case. The thread title was not intended to be about anxiety over not reaching a destination but about fears that he had been misinformed when buying the car. Hopefully, we have allayed that fear.

·
3,756 Posts
Yeah recommend OP chats to mate to find out more details about the circumstances in which the lower range was experienced. Then it becomes less "fear" and more "knowledge".

·
Registered
10 Posts
My E-Niro has averaged 4.2miles/kwh on just under 3000 miles ,so an average of 268.8 mile range. Bearing in mind i received the car in the middle of winter, and have done plenty of motorway trips in the aforementioned horrendous conditions. Really noticing stupid efficiency now we're in the warmer months . Getting north of 5.0 consistently now.

I've done long round trips, and have had zero issues, admittedly i have had some fortune with charging points, yet to encounter an ecotricity that hasn't worked for me. But again, the infrastructure HAS to improve over the coming years.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts