Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Range anxiety, is the fear that the car will either not get to the destination or that the charger fails, but this outcome is quite unusual.

CO2 anxiety, the anxiety that the CO2 (and NOs) will leave a lasting and pernicious effect from transport seems very rare, but the effect is absolutely clear and happens with every mile a fossil fuel car is driven.

One is common but unlikely to happen, the other not talked about much, but always happens!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,109 Posts
CO2 anxiety, the anxiety that the CO2 (and NOs) will leave a lasting and pernicious effect from transport seems very rare, but the effect is absolutely clear and happens with every mile a fossil fuel car is driven.
To be fair it's not just C02 and NOx that cause problems, but also particulates as well. And whilst EVs are less bad they contribute to both in their own way so the real solution is reducing our travel.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,338 Posts
Is this based on actual experience or just a fear? Despite running around in a LEAF30 (<100 miles range in the wet) I've never had to go beyond Option C or a 20 minute wait for another car to complete a Rapid charge.
Absolutely experience. It depends where you are. I usually drive the Niro in England. I've made occasional forays into the edges of North Wales, but never a problem. Always plenty of options for a rapid charge everywhere I've been.

However, I'm currently in Northern Ireland where a rapid is a very rare beast at the best of times. So you become reliant on AC charging at 7kW. It's free, which is something, but really that just means the chargers tend to get used by locals in towns because, well, why would you pay 18p/kW at home when you can charge for free. As a result they're occupied for extended periods of time. When you do find an available charge point, chances are its other socket is busy with a 7kW car, and they don't switch phases so you each get 3.5kW. Chargers that are dead, and have been for months, are reported as available to Zap-Map. The data on ESB cars app isn't much more reliable.

We're getting away with this on our trip because the Niro has such a great range and NI is a fairly small place.

This is just one example, but quite bit areas of the UK have very sparse charging infrastructure hence my comment that I have absolutely no anxiety over the range of the car, total confidence in it to be honest. But plenty of anxiety over whether a charger will be available and working. More/better infrastructure is the answer, but I do wish providers could at least reliably report the status of their equipment.

·
Super Moderator
7,505 Posts
My E-Niro has averaged 4.2miles/kwh on just under 3000 miles ,so an average of 268.8 mile range. Bearing in mind i received the car in the middle of winter, and have done plenty of motorway trips in the aforementioned horrendous conditions. Really noticing stupid efficiency now we're in the warmer months . Getting north of 5.0 consistently now.

I've done long round trips, and have had zero issues, admittedly i have had some fortune with charging points, yet to encounter an ecotricity that hasn't worked for me. But again, the infrastructure HAS to improve over the coming years.
Oh the infrastructure has improved immensely already. the first time I drove from Corby to Birmingham there were NO rapids en route, and I rolled into the IMAX car park on sparks after 63 miles. Got just enough charge while watching a movie to divert to Tamworth where there was one rapid, before driving about 50mph all the way home. With the eNiro now, there would be no stop required, but if there was I've got chargers galore up and down the M6 and A14.

Reactions: AlexENiro

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've often said going to NI is a bit like heading back in time 20 years or so.... currently it looks like there's seven working CCS chargers, which is better than it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
145 Posts
I’m sorry your friend scared you. Trust your car and your judgement and try not to worry about his experience.
We’ve only had our Niro for a couple of weeks but we’re head over heels. Range is only an issue if you’re doing a genuinely long journey and in that case you’d want to be stopping for breaks anyway. I understand that cold/wet/windy weather causes range to drop but if you are aware of this in advance you can plan an earlier charging stop. Maybe other people don’t check the weather that much but I work outside and most of my holidays are camping so I always know the forecast including wind speed and direction 🙃
Was your friend caught out with no juice left or merely inconvenienced/disappointed? I’d take a bit of inconvenience for the lower fuel costs and happier planet - it’s just part of how I try to live like sorting my rubbish and buying reusable stuff. Sometimes less easy but always more rewarding.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
145 Posts
You could not find another thread on "range anxiety"? wow... the most common and popular topic... and gets "reinvented" all the time...
I’ve never seen a thread that specifically mentioned what a friend’s range experience had been. No need to be so harsh. Also, sometimes an old thread might have out of date information or a new one might attract recent joiners to the forum and different points of view.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'm in the midst of addressing a "range anxiety" issue right now. My wife's setting out tomorrow on her first solo long journey since getting an EV a couple of months ago. The biggest single issue is that she has been looking at the way the apparent range drops quite quickly sometimes, and is worried that she won't make it the ~120 miles she has to go tomorrow (this is in a Zoe, with at least 200 miles of real-world range). I've tried to explain that a short, 5 mile trip, with the heater or aircon on is going to use more charge than some might think, to no avail. The thing that's finally convinced her has been looking at the lifetime efficiency figure the car reports (which is 4.4 miles/kWh at the moment) and then showing her how to convert that to range, with a bit of an allowance for the fact that efficiency is going to drop when she's driving at around 60mph on the A roads she'll be on tomorrow.

I think the fact that this apparently large variation in range with driving conditions, that applies to all cars, is so obvious with an EV, is the biggest issue. No one notices that they have lost 30% of range when the weather is cold in a conventional car, even though they probably have, because range isn't something that is so "in your face" with an ICE car. The fact that the advertised range for many EVs is as mythical as the advertised mpg for conventional cars is another problem. There's nothing like a few fairly long trips to provide assurance and understanding of the way driving conditions impact range, and to provide that much-needed confidence that the car really will get where you want to go.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This is something I think the Kia display handles well. You don't seem to get those big drops in range that can be scary. I think it factors in temperature to its prediction.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+ Yacht Blue. Jan 2021
150 Posts
Just completed a trip from Southampton to Bath and back again. 130 miles in total, all on the A36.
Didn't hold back on the dual carriage way bits, but limited on the twisty bits by traffic, so mostly done at 40 - 50 mph. And through Salisbury and through Bath city centre.
AC on all the way.
Got home with 55% battery left (started at 100%).

Happy with that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just done a trial run from Reading to Swindon return which is 100 miles, stuck to 70mph, A/C on; on the way down drove in eco mode (apart from a very brief accidental sport mode!) on the return in normal mode. The difference in consumption was 8 miles less using normal mode; the miles per kWh were exactly the same - ie 4.4 the predicted range was spot on, started with 240, finished with 140 so pretty pleased will get to my mum''s and drive her to hospital and back home next week either without needing to charge at all if I'm lucky, OR a very brief charge. Off to try out a podpopint now, well done Eric e-Niro!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
My wife's doing her first "range test" right now, she set of with an indicated 249 miles, to drive ~120 miles. Be interesting to find out how accurate the GOM is. My guess is that she'll arrive with between 80 and 100 miles of range remaining, as it's hot enough to need the aircon. She's planning to top up at a Morrison's Geniepoint as soon as she gets there, whilst doing some shopping for her mother, I think, to give her enough to do some local running around and perhaps get home without another charge..

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
100 Posts
I have found the GOM in the e-Niro to to spookily accurate. Driving in normal mode, with SCC - the only drops are expected - such as when I drop it into sport mode to wind-up the boy racers at traffic lights.

Running it to zero, we would have hit, or slightly exceeded the advertised 282miles with every charge to date. We average ~4.4m/kwh which is the rate needed to hit the magical 282 miles. Granted, it's been mild since we have had it - but we have still had quite a few sub 10 degree nights... Winter will be interesting though!

The thing that actually trips me up is remembering that I need to fill it up before it hits zero. I look at the dte in UVO and think "OK, 100 miles, this 90 mile trip will be OK." Run it to 5% twice so far by accident.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
975 Posts
........such as when I drop it into sport mode to wind-up the boy racers at traffic lights.........
This may surprise you, but I believe your maximum available acceleration power is not any greater in Sport mode! It just alters the gas pedal power response curve to make it feel somewhat livelier at lesser pedal deflections. If you properly floor the pedal you can take off just as fast as you always get maxed out 150kW motor power acceleration irrespective of drive mode (Except maybe in ECO+ mode which I’ve not tested). Peter

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
100 Posts
This may surprise you, but I believe your maximum available acceleration power is not any greater in Sport mode! It just alters the gas pedal power response curve to make it feel somewhat livelier at lesser pedal deflections. If you properly floor the pedal you can take off just as fast as you always get maxed out 150kW motor power acceleration irrespective of drive mode (Except maybe in ECO+ mode which I’ve not tested). Peter
I can imagine - it feels twitchier in sport mode, which makes it feel like it jumps off the mark quicker. I don't imagine it's anything except smoke and mirrors - but smoke and mirrors can be powerful things if done right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
On a 180 Mile journey the other Day, mostly Dual carriageway with ACC set at 68 MPH (so probably doing 65), I found the GOM to be accurate for the 1st half of the journey but for the 2nd 90 Miles, the GOM used 110 Miles. I finished with 25 Miles remaining.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have done just under 8000 miles since August last year and can vouch for the accuracy of the GOM if you have a fairly regular journey.
Dropped to about 242m on a full charge over winter and has been creeping up since to 294 now (normal mode and ok efficiency usually - no over thinking but also not afraid to max out to show the boy racers/tail-gating BMW a thing or two as others have posted). I don't usually drop below 25% so can't say how it factors at lower charges.
It really does seem to adjust to changes in the journey and driving style as well as ambient conditions. I'll be pleased if it shows over 300m at any point...

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
314 Posts
Well had my first long(ish) drive today since collecting the car, as said earlier started with the GOM showing 324, did 99 miles at 4.7 with the GOM now showing 226 miles and 71% battery remaining. Mostly Motorway / Dual C though some 50mph for roadworks, average speed in total was 43mph, had the cruise set at 70 with Aircon on most of the time.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts