Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
MG4
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was a bit concerned about range being less than expected, but after Vicky has been driving it a bit she is starting to get some good results (Shows who the better driver is it seems)

Work trip from home down the M1 to Watford, so 260 Mile Return trip, 250 M1 and 10 on local roads.

Was expecting her to stop on way back to rapid charge as was a dank grey day yesterday and 5c

But she blew past the last chance charging stop at Trowell Services with 10% left. And got home with 5% Left

260 Miles covered on 95% Battery

Ecoregion Map World Font Line

Gave it a good full charge overnight and the GOM is saying 321!!!!!!! Hangs Head in Shame its never reading more than 240 after my trips!!

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive design

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
704 Posts
That’s exceptional for motorway driving in colder conditions. Do you know what miles/kWhr the car achieved? I struggle to get near 3miles/KWHr in winter on motorway speeds/trips in any EV that I’ve had.

· Registered
MG4
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s exceptional for motorway driving in colder conditions. Do you know what miles/kWhr the car achieved? I struggle to get near 3miles/KWHr in winter on motorway speeds/trips in any EV that I’ve had.
She said it was 4.1 but I think speeds were well below normal due to bad traffic.. (Well thats my excuse for why she did so well)

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
In winter though I've found in my limited experience that slower driving means a longer journey, and what you save in slower driving (lower wind resistance etc), you lose in keeping the car warm for a longer period of time. That said, I've got a teeny tiny battery in comparison.

I'd also edit your photo a touch as it's got your home address on it, on a public forum....

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
704 Posts
In winter though I've found in my limited experience that slower driving means a longer journey, and what you save in slower driving (lower wind resistance etc), you lose in keeping the car warm for a longer period of time. That said, I've got a teeny tiny battery in comparison.

I'd also edit your photo a touch as it's got your home address on it, on a public forum....
That’s an interesting thought. I’ve always considered that heating an EV is but a fraction of the power consumption used to propel it along. I often sit in an EV with the heating etc on and it doesn’t seem to have much effect on the overall consumption. The cold weather effect on the batteries and driving at higher speeds are the big impact items.

· Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
1,173 Posts
That’s an interesting thought. I’ve always considered that heating an EV is but a fraction of the power consumption used to propel it along. I often sit in an EV with the heating etc on and it doesn’t seem to have much effect on the overall consumption. The cold weather effect on the batteries and driving at higher speeds are the big impact items.
The cold weather being that the battery itself is colder and less efficient, or the cold weather draining the battery due to heating?

Hard to know I guess as most will preheat thier interior before departing, which will induce a level of battery charging also, having the knock on effect of heating up the battery.

I'd have thought ambient temp would have a fairly small effect on the batteries unless it's stood for an extended period and it really does cool down. But I could be underestimating that effect.

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
704 Posts
Yes, there are a few scenarios. It is hard for battery packs to get up to temperature in winter. They perform best at around 20c.
I’m basing my thoughts on the heater on what a typical EV heater for example will draw.
I’m unsure of the exact amount of power it will use but I’m guessing it’s a few hundred watts/hour, compared to driving which will take around 250 to 350watts per mile.
So in an hour say - a heater might draw 300 watts compared to the car at say 3miles/KwHr at 30mph in an hour using 10 KwHr? A considerable difference.

· Registered
MG4
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there are a few scenarios. It is hard for battery packs to get up to temperature in winter. They perform best at around 20c.
I’m basing my thoughts on the heater on what a typical EV heater for example will draw.
I’m unsure of the exact amount of power it will use but I’m guessing it’s a few hundred watts/hour, compared to driving which will take around 250 to 350watts per mile.
So in an hour say - a heater might draw 300 watts compared to the car at say 3miles/KwHr at 30mph in an hour using 10 KwHr? A considerable difference.
the battery heater on the MG4 is the same as the one on the EV6 (power wise) at 7kw max. So can put a real substantial load on the system while heating it

· Registered
MG4
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be clear I’m talking about heating the cabin and keeping the interior warm - not the battery.
Sorry my mistake, Yes cabin heater starts off at around 1.5Kw but soon settles down to around 400w... Multiple short journeys opening doors etc push up the power use a lot but on a long run of over 2 hours it will be only around 2.5kw in total used heating

I did a lot of tests with the Kona and the EV6, Heat Pump saved about 1 to 1.2Kw over a 2 hour single journey, so not worth the expense. Unless you are doing loads of short journeys and need to keep the heat on more to replace what is lost to opening doors

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
704 Posts
Across all the EV’s I’ve had, as a general rule I get around 4miles/KwHr in warmer weather and 3miles/KwHr when the temperature heads well below 10c. This of course varies on the type of journey but for me relates to about a 25% reduction in range in colder weather.

· Registered
2022 Kia Soul Maxx
704 Posts
You really need to look at range and consumption over a comparable period of time and give it time to average out if you can. It’s also good to compare like for like journeys and usage.

· Registered
MG4 SE SR
220 Posts
You really need to look at range and consumption over a comparable period of time and give it time to average out if you can. It’s also good to compare like for like journeys and usage.
Same commute I do every weekday. But on Monday my battery dropped near enough 30% when the previous 20ish journeys (and two since) have used about 18%. Bizarre deviation from the normal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts