Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't usually watch TV adverts, so when I saw this one last night I was very surprised.

It's for a Vauxhall Insignia, an ICE vehicle...

Screen Shot 2014-04-19 at 11.15.09.png

This is interesting to me for a number of reasons.

First, I have NEVER considered the range of an ICE car when purchasing one, not once. It doesn't even cross my mind. You have long range, you have stations all over the place, it's a non-issue.

Secondly this is surely aimed at those considering, or who have thought of, seen or mentioned EVs or BEVs in some form or another, it's probably the ONLY area (aside from the purchase price) where ICE cars can currently "beat" EVs.

Finally, based on point two, is this the ICEagers finally getting worried and directly having to "hit back" at EVs in their marketing? Seems a bit desperate and unnecessary, based on point one!?

Full video here:

http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vehicles/vauxhall-range/cars/insignia-5-door/gallery/video.html

As a footnote, it seems odd that GM/Vauxhall were the first I've seen doing this, given their own EV efforts!

·
Registered
220 Posts
The new Passat was marketed as having a long range when it was first released a few years ago. That was 1000+ miles.

I actually think it is a plus point since I hate visiting petrol stations and I do a lot of miles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is similar to Nissan claiming 109 miles for a Gen1 Leaf. Not a real world figure. No mpg figures are but everyone makes a big deal about the EV claims

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
375 Posts
VW advertised a diesel Golf as having a long range many moons ago. Doesn't sound new to me.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VW advertised a diesel Golf as having a long range many moons ago. Doesn't sound new to me.
Don't remember that. Then again as I say I'm hardly ever exposed to advertising as pretty much any TV I watch is online/time shifted and has been for years, and Milton Keynes has very little by way of billboards.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,306 Posts
It's a Vauxhall, it's a 1175 range until you need to return to the dealers for repair work. ;) *

* says the man with a broken from new Zoe lol

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounds just like rival marketing departments at Vauxhall and VW to be honest.

'mine is bigger than yours' playground stuff.

Technically, bigger fuel tank, more eco engine remap and surprise surprise - longer range.

The only two times I've ever thought about range in an ICE is when I had a Range Rover which cost £110 to fill with Diesel and did 300 miles for it, and then when I had an LPG converted Volvo V70 T5, which did about 100 miles on a tank of LPG.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I don't think this is a new thing - probably just went under the radar beforehand. I remember seeing Audi A3 TDI adverts back in 2010 showing off the range and it only sticks in my memory as I managed to get from Italy back to the UK without a fuel stop.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It's defensive. If we say "I'd like my EV to have equal or more range than my ICE"... of course they're going to try and move that goal post.

Clearly nobody needs a thousand mile range in a vehicle that can get a full charge in under 5 minutes pretty much anywhere.

Probably better off carrying less fuel to save weight!

·
Registered
220 Posts
My mondeo with a diddy diesel advertised as >1000 miles to a tank. Was utter b0110x though, I drove it to Rotterdam and back without tanking up and it achieved about 850 to a tank cruising which was nice. I can't drive to Rotterdam and back without stopping though. My internal tank is full even when the car's is half empty.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What's the car ad for that I was puzzled by last night? The kid is being promised an ice cream when they stop to fill up..and they keep going..and going..the kid must have the bladder control of a Samurai if the thing has 1k mileage range or thereabouts..

·
Registered
443 Posts
Don't think its particularly new... for a start Top gear have had a few "can this car really do the suggested range" challenges

One where they race to turn on the blackpool lights, and one where Jeremy drives from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank spring to mind.

On a personal note, range has been important to me for the last 4 cars I've bought, so I've always looked out for them

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Sounds just like rival marketing departments at Vauxhall and VW to be honest.

'mine is bigger than yours' playground stuff.

Technically, bigger fuel tank, more eco engine remap and surprise surprise - longer range.

The only two times I've ever thought about range in an ICE is when I had a Range Rover which cost £110 to fill with Diesel and did 300 miles for it, and then when I had an LPG converted Volvo V70 T5, which did about 100 miles on a tank of LPG.
I think it's an American thing where focus is on how far you can go on a tank, rather than how much fuel is used or how massive the tank is.

Might work in the US of A where you can fill up said pickup with $50 of gas, but paying £120 to fill it here and get 14 mpg isn't as cool. Vauxhall seem to be plucking at straws lately. Anything to try and flog their wares. Shame they got rid of that lifetime warranty though. o_O That was actually quite good.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Don't think its particularly new... for a start Top gear have had a few "can this car really do the suggested range" challenges

One where they race to turn on the blackpool lights, and one where Jeremy drives from London to Edinburgh and back on a single tank spring to mind.

On a personal note, range has been important to me for the last 4 cars I've bought, so I've always looked out for them
I was watching that Blackpool one again on "Dave" Yesterday..(Wasn't it a Jaaaag He took for both those trips?)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,243 Posts
Most ICE are getting smaller tanks and smaller ranges these days (partly a packaging thing, possibly a homologation/NEDC loophole?).

I recall well the introduction of the Audi 100 (the one that became the A6) with its 5 cylinder TDi engine, good for 60 mpg and a 22 gal tank, I seem to recall. It really could get to the South of France on one tank, which was one advert that appeared for it. Nothing new here, really. I dreamed of having one of those back then.

I think you're right that people don't choose an ICE based on its tank range, however it could be a final 'sway' to one choice or another if there is a fine balance to be decided. I certainly appreciated the 800 mile range of my Vectra - it really does save you time only having to fill up once a month! (That being said, I have now used a half tank of gas in the Ampera in two months, 1500 miles, and a gallon of that was just to test what its charge-sustaining mpg was!).

·
Registered
342 Posts
I remember th A100 TDi very well - i never had one but as a longstanding fan of diesel cars I subscribed to a magazine of the same name for many years. they were blown away by it. I recall the advert for it had a camel gazing under the bonnet, in a poor attempt to portray its long range abilities.

I did take range into account when i was buying small cars in the early nineties. All had small tanks and petrol ones meant range anxiety. I had a rover metro 1.4 diesel that had a 7.8 gallon tank. It did 65mpg so had a decent range, but suffered a lot of problems. I often got loaned petrol ones - both 1.1 and 1.4 versions, and was forever visitng garages to fill the tank. Barely got 200 miles range out of a 1.4S - driven sensibly too.

I could scoot through areas of high prices, avoid all mway service stations, avoidined a tanker drivers strike with one big fill, and did a weeks motoring on a tankful round the scottish highlands in a 1.9 diesel clio (god that was a great car) on one fill up of cheap diesel on the coast out of glasgow.

The X3 on the drive has a range of about 600 miles too.

Dont knock it,

·
Banned
4,591 Posts
First, I have NEVER considered the range of an ICE car when purchasing one, not once. It doesn't even cross my mind. You have long range, you have stations all over the place, it's a non-issue.

Secondly this is surely aimed at those considering, or who have thought of, seen or mentioned EVs or BEVs in some form or another, it's probably the ONLY area (aside from the purchase price) where ICE cars can currently "beat" EVs.

Finally, based on point two, is this the ICEagers finally getting worried and directly having to "hit back" at EVs in their marketing? Seems a bit desperate and unnecessary, based on point one!?
I wouldn't worry, I think your just been paranoid, car manufactures have been doing this for ages, just from memory I'm sure Honda, VW, Mercedes, and Skoda have done TV campaigns about the range of their new models compared to the old. It's just another sales tactic to show your getting more for your £/per tank of fuel so its a good reason to upgrade to save money - providing you ignore the ££££ your loss in deprecation by going for a new car (n). The secret of how good EVs are is still safe amongst us lot :).

Here's the Merc venture, though its for a diesel - electric hybrid.

Mercedes-Benz E-class E300 hybrid completes 1223 miles on a tank of fuel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts