Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres a question say you're stuck in crawling to standstill traffic for 20mins. With the stereo on and ac set at 21 what sort of impact does that have on range/battery in the golf?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Stop start is excellent for range, I find, but I got stuck in standstill traffic near home today and that was not at all good.

The last five minutes of what should have been a 20 minute drive too about an hour (including a two mile diversion). I think I lost about 15 miles from the GOM in a quarter of a mile. I’ll probably get some of that back the next time I take the car out when it realises that that’s not the new normal. If I add the figure on the GOM to the miles since I charged I still get close to 180 though so my car remains stupidly optimistic.

I was on over 6 mi/kWh until I hit the jam and ended up on 4.4 mi/kWh. And what should have been a four mile journey became a six mile one; effectively I used roughly twice as many electrons to get home from shopping as I did to get there!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,347 Posts
Usually increases range! Unless it is winter and you are hammering the heating, then it is very not so good.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Have you noticed that before @NellLondon?

Every time I've been stuck in queues of slow moving traffic (usually at the sodding Queensferry Crossing out of Edinburgh) my consumption and range have improved.

In fact, the miles of roadworks with 40mph average speed cameras on the A9 north of Perth works wonders for my range and I can get up to Inverness with a single 10 min top up after the Drumochter Pass instead of needing two stops (one before and one after Drumochter).

·
Registered
181 Posts
This wasn’t slow moving traffic (which I think is usually really good in terms of efficiency) it was standstill so no nice stop start and regen, just sitting there with the car using a bit of power but not going anywhere. No idea what the problem was, lots of police, a stretch of road taped off but no sign of an accident. Cars coming the other way had a short diversion to bypass the problem but buses didn’t so there was a queue of at least half a dozen buses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts