Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been electric for two weeks and 800 miles now. But I still cannot answer the question "how far will it go?".

Initially, I wasn't collecting metrics so just put faith in the prediction. It was never sufficiently far adrift or dynamic to make me doubt it - but without data I couldn't actually trust it either.

So, after a week to get used to the car, I started recording numbers (for each trip at start and finish: SOC, ext temp, climate control setting, time, actual travel distance, predicted miles remaining, pre-conditioned?, programmed destination in nav?). You'd think I'd be beginning to get a feel for it by now. But no.

The factor I can't control for is me, the driver. My driving style makes the range I'm promised be the range I get! This effect can be overt - outward journey at modest speed, Eco Mode and scant heating followed by last 30 miles homeward "waahey!! loads-a-miles left!!; sports mode, heating full whack, hair-on-fire acceleration. But even when I try and force myself to be consistent and not touch the aircon dial or Eco setting, I reckon my subconscious is sneakily tweaking my speed and acceleration. I think a week of post-it notes covering the predict-ometer is required.

By the way, range *seems* to be OK on the i3 (REx) so far. Did 70 miles today in Eco mode (m-ways and various speeds in rural roads) and had the car was promising 22 more in the battery on arrival home.

·
Banned
412 Posts
Mmmm I think these "Tales of the Rex" are going to be hard to bear!
Some of us carry a boot full of blankets, gloves and hats! Putting on the seat heater is treat in the IMiev!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I think your very right it's all in the mind. I drive Eco when I have a long ish trip. But when I'm just around town I must say I drive fast as I don't care about range.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I've been electric for two weeks and 800 miles now. But I still cannot answer the question "how far will it go?".
I had to smile when I read that because I have been driving a Nissan Leaf for 3 years now and I pretty much feel the same.

Of course, I know roughly how far but there are legs that I plan that I genuinely don't know if I should be attempting. In my Leaf, once I get over the 65 mark I start to feel very uncomfortable and I try not to plan legs longer than that but when I have been forced to go longer than 65 miles I have always made it... sometimes only just... but made it nonetheless.

Even now, when people ask me how far does it go on a single charge I have to think hard before answering because almost any answer I give has the potential to mislead. I could say 100 miles, which is not unreasonable for a new Leaf and a careful driver particularly in summer... or I could say 65 miles which is my own personal limit for planning... or I could assume that people are just driving the way most do on motorways and say 45 miles which is much more realistic at 70-80mph.

It is a conundrum.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've had my leaf 2 years and totally agree -- your driving style can very much adjust to remaining range/distance to destination, and yes at times that does mean a nice "rapid" journey up the motorway (though always sensible in town etc!), at others quite the opposite.

Today was work at home, off to the gym. arived back from a trip varying 35-60 mph having done around 13 miles with still around 74 indicated remaining. Not bad for a mk.1 . There are limits to range of course...

If people ask range I used to say around 75. I tend to say 70 now. Of course it can be less if it's 70-80 mph motorway - in fact once you get about 60mph or so the effect is noticeable (aero drag)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.