Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially as I return home when the GOM clearly shows I'm getting home without a problem I find myself more liberal with the speed. I mean its cheap enough to charge at home so if I've got extra charge in the battery why not use it?

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,288 Posts
All the electricity costs are included in my monthly vehicle subscription, but I still try and get the mpkWh figure as high as I can! I take it as a personal failure if it drops below 4. I’m going to seriously have to review that habit now that winter is coming. Or put my thermals on 🤣

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,360 Posts
All the electricity costs are included in my monthly vehicle subscription, but I still try and get the mpkWh figure as high as I can! I take it as a personal failure if it drops below 4. I’m going to seriously have to review that habit now that winter is coming. Or put my thermals on 🤣
Sadly, my early "enthusiasm" has meant that I've only just (after 4 months / 1300 miles) brought my average up to 3.8 mpkWh.

·
3,288 Posts
Sadly, my early "enthusiasm" has meant that I've only just (after 4 months / 1300 miles) brought my average up to 3.8 mpkWh.
I’d easily get mid fives with the R110 ZE40, without using ECO. Got no where near that in the ZE50. I was going to try and see how many miles I could get from a full charge. Unfortunately didn’t get the ZE50 until mid August so missed out on the best of the summer temperatures. I was hoping to get 6mpkWh to get a range of 300 miles, but never got near that target.

Reactions: burnt_crisps2

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I wont shame myself with the I-pace data I have logged. :cautious:
The Jag will never win any efficiency records compared to others, but I do drive it like I would any ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Especially as I return home when the GOM clearly shows I'm getting home without a problem I find myself more liberal with the speed. I mean its cheap enough to charge at home so if I've got extra charge in the battery why not use it?
Absolutely. I do this all the time.
Especially when we had the Tesla : if we had to stop half-way for a supercharge - I'd bomb it there as I'll have to rapid-up anyway.

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
when it comes to evs, at the difference between 1p/mile or 1.5p/mile if a 2 hour 100 mile trip becomes 1h30min driving with fun instead of 2h driving like a slug. I rather have extra 30min at my destination than save 50 pence

Its not like petrol, where driving carefully would cost you £12, or having "fun" cost you £20 instead.

·
3,288 Posts
when it comes to evs, at the difference between 1p/mile or 1.5p/mile if a 2 hour 100 mile trip becomes 1h30min driving with fun instead of 2h driving like a slug. I rather have extra 30min at my destination than save 50 pence

Its not like petrol, where driving carefully would cost you £12, or having "fun" cost you £20 instead.
I’m talking about urban driving where going faster doesn’t make a lot of difference to journey times. The slowcoaches catch you up at the next lights anyway!

·
Registered
60 Posts
You phrased your last sentence like a question, so I'm going to give you a potential answer. One reason is that, same as charging the battery faster isn't best for it, draining the battery faster also isn't better for it. So there's at least a slight hit to the service life of the battery when you drive more aggressively. That said, e-cars are tools to be used so I'm not saying you should be afraid to use them in the way that's most enjoyable to you (within the laws of the land, of course). Just thought I'd add it to the discussion since you asked! :)

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I’m talking about urban driving where going faster doesn’t make a lot of difference to journey times. The slowcoaches catch you up at the next lights anyway!
But turning off the heating/ac just to get an arbitrary number a bit higher and/or save a few pence?
The depreciation on these 60-70kWh cars is eyewatering, so you may as well enjoy them while shelling out a couple of hundred a month or more for the privilege.

·
Registered
60 Posts
But turning off the heating/ac just to get an arbitrary number a bit higher and/or save a few pence?
The depreciation on these 60-70kWh cars is eyewatering, so you may as well enjoy them while shelling out a couple of hundred a month or more for the privilege.
The depreciation on e-cars in general is largely due to the generous incentives in many jurisdictions when buying a new one, I think. I don't think it's worse for the 60-70 kWh variants, is it?

When it comes to range anxiety, I've long thought it comes from people not having a good idea of the distances that they regularly drive. I'm a cyclist so I have a really good idea of my distances, but the average ICE car owner thinks of their driving in the sense of the time it takes rather than the distance. E-car owners are merely joining us cyclists in having to think about things in terms of distance rather than time (or, perhaps, distance and time, rather than just time).

I think a lot of range anxiety in the uninitiated would disappear if they really understood how short the distances they drive really are.

·
Registered
784 Posts
According to my BMW app. I have achieved 4.4 miles per kWhr. on my i3 over about 6000 miles from new. At just over 1p per mile that’s not bad considering I do mainly short trips although I tend to switch to Eco Pro + which is a simple way of switching the A/C off. No point heating/cooling the car for a three mile trip.
On longer motorway trips I tend to keep the speed down if the range is important but relax a bit if there is plenty spare. I charge at around 25% battery used (75% remaining) simply in case of an unplanned trip.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,360 Posts
I’d easily get mid fives with the R110 ZE40, without using ECO. Got no where near that in the ZE50. I was going to try and see how many miles I could get from a full charge. Unfortunately didn’t get the ZE50 until mid August so missed out on the best of the summer temperatures. I was hoping to get 6mpkWh to get a range of 300 miles, but never got near that target.
I've been trying that this week. Started Monday morning with 100%, and commuted to work daily at 42.6 miles/day.
Max speed 65mph on 10 miles of dual carriageway, the rest was back lanes & regular roads.
Came home Thursday night with 21% battery and, as an EV newbie, decided to charge as a 1% margin for Friday worried me!

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
The depreciation on e-cars in general is largely due to the generous incentives in many jurisdictions when buying a new one, I think. I don't think it's worse for the 60-70 kWh variants, is it?
My choice of that size was because at that range there is plenty of capacity for most eventualities and they are mostly newer (or older premium) cars, so still expensive.
The cars where range is low enough for 'suffering' to make any sense are generally older/cheaper where the peak depreciation has gone, so penny-pinching is perhaps more justifiable.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts