Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The range miles on my leaf after 7000 miles and 7 months of driving are still fiction. If the Leaf40Kwh is meant to learn either from its history or the current consumption its doing a really poor job.

What are other drivers of the 40KWh Leaf's thoughts or experience with the range miles?

To start the discussion I will share the display from yesterday.
The maths are that 88 miles on 75% is 29 miles per 1/4 (25%) of the battery.
It has 88 miles of "history" how does it get to 41 miles range?

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The GOM has always been a bit silly. My advice is to figure out how many miles to get per 1% and use that to calculate. In the Leaf 30 it was really easy because 1 mile = 1% but it should be better in the 40.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
610 Posts
The problem with the GOM on the LEAF is that when the GOM reads 0 miles there is still 10 miles range reserve left or about 3.5Kwh as verified by LEAFSPY. Also the GOM is not linear and readjusts it's self to account for say an heavy burst of acceleration (you can covers say 9 miles and lose 14 miles range from the GOM). It's just not accurate that said if you do the same trip and never deviate, then the GOM will be reasonable accurate

I have found the best way to calculate a reasonably accurate range from the GOM by taking whatever the GOM states at any given time and deduct 10% in the Summer - 15% in the Spring and Winter and 20% in the Winter, once the GOM reads 0 then there is about 6 to 10 miles left depending on the time of year and driving style.

The miles covered per Kw is accurate as I have verified this by the electricity used to restore the battery to it's original charge state divided by the actual miles covered (after deducting charging losses for AC - DC conversion etc).

·
Registered
78 Posts
What are other drivers of the 40KWh Leaf's thoughts or experience with the range miles?
Mine works very well all the time - I trust it.

To start the discussion I will share the display from yesterday.
The maths are that 88 miles on 75% is 29 miles per 1/4 (25%) of the battery.
It has 88 miles of "history" how does it get to 41 miles range?
Well it seems that you're assuming you started with 100% charge, but did you? The figures make more sense if the Drive Computer was reset with the car on about 80% - 90% state of charge. Also 3.8 miles/kWh is low (over the last 250 miles or so I've averaged 5.2 miles/kWh), so I'm guessing that you had driven at motorway speeds for a large part of that 88 miles (or else over very hilly terrain). However, if the latter part of the journey had been at lower speeds (or flatter terrain) then the recent power consumption would be less and its estimate of 41 miles on the remaining 26% will be assuming that the rest of the journey will be at the same pace and terrain as the last few miles, and so could be accurate. The car obviousy has no idea what roads and speeds, etc. you're going to be driving on, as it can't see into the future, so its estimates are based on your recent driving history of just the last few miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the car started out at 100% (sorry I should have mentioned that huge assumption)

Re the 3.8miles/kWh
This is me driving like a hooligan, because I know the car has the range to do the journey I was on with ~25% to spare. It was lots of acceleration & regen (40%) and 65-75mph on A road and motorway, with over taking on the A roads.
On a long motorway trip at 65mph we see 4.2miles/kWH (steady speed cruise, and ECO)
We dream ;-) of 5.2miles/KWh

I get the car can not know what's ahead and who is driving, my point was a reasonable assumption would be the the next 25% might be similar to the last 75% ?
I also understand that Tesla's do look at the route when calculating range.

Yes, if anyone considering getting an EV or a 40KwhLeaf is looking at my 3.8miles/Kwh don't panic; look at that as a real world worse case figure when the car is driven hard to the point of bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
over the last 250 miles or so I've averaged 5.2 miles/kWh
keithr: Having discussed your 5.2kW/hours with my wife we realised we'd love to know you you get 5.2kW/h - we've never seen anything like that! (OK so we've seen 4.5, but you are 15% ahead)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Assuming 1/4 of the batt is 10kwh then on the indicated consumption of 3.8mls/kwh that would give 38mls which is not far out. The 3.8 mls/kwh fig is based on the whole journey but the GOM is based on say the last 10mls. The scenario for most people is they bomb along on the motorway and the mls/kwh fig goes down but the last few mls to home are suburban side roads etc ie much slower at which point the mls/kwh fig is increasing which increases the average but the GOM shows an even more optimistic fig based on the last few mls QED

·
Registered
67 Posts
The gom is inaccurate and needs to be ignored.
Best is to work off miles per percentage of battery allowing for fast or slow journey and rain wind air temp etc.

My worst ever was two miles per percent in winter weather rushing to an emergency. Best was four miles per percent on a summer drive.

The leaf 40 is a great car to drive but you need to be able to laugh at the gom not believe it’s odd predictions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My worst ever was two miles per percent in winter weather rushing to an emergency. Best was four miles per percent on a summer drive.
So your worst ever has been 2 miles per percent of charge - so that's 200 miles from a full charge, in winter. Wow, a worst of 200 miles per full charge from a 40kWh LEAF, and 400 miles in the summer - that's impressive! (However, for some reason I feel a bit sceptical!)

·
Registered
78 Posts
keithr: Having discussed your 5.2kW/hours with my wife we realised we'd love to know you you get 5.2kW/h - we've never seen anything like that! (OK so we've seen 4.5, but you are 15% ahead)
Most of my driving is around town, fairly short trips (2 - 5 miles, plus return), but with occasional trips out into the country to go for a walk (16 - 20 miles, plus return). (I'm retired, so I don't commute to work during rush hour anymore. :)) I use e-pedal all of the time around town, and D and B mode at faster speeds 50 - 70mph) out of town. I don't use the air-conditioning much, and it's mostly just me in the car.

The journeys are not all on level roads. For example, when I go to church I have to drive up a long increasingly steep road (over 600 yards long), and another short stretch of very steep road, with a total journey distance of about 1.9 miles. Going there I'll typically get about 3.9 miles/kWh. However, on the way back I can get up to around 8 miles/kWh, and usually over 6 miles/kWh - as long as traffic doesn't make me have to brake, and possibly stop, when driving down the long hill.

I look further ahead nowadays, not like when I was younger and drove hot hatches, when I would drive quickly up behind traffic and brake late. Now I look well ahead, and for example if I see traffic lights up ahead changing to, or on, red then I don't continue accelerating, I just maintain a constant speed and gently decelerate if necessary (using regenerative braking only) with the aim if possible of not needing to stop. It's a much more relaxing way of driving, espcially in a quiet comfortable car like the LEAF.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have had mine since early April a 2020 reg with 21 miles on the clock when i got it. I drive like my granny most of the time although i do have my moments and i am getting 4.8miles/kwh. I charge once a week at a polar plus and mormally charge to 90-95% and i get 170 miles for that and usually find (i know its summer) the real world range is pretty accurate in fact i normally get more, so for me it works out ok. I moved from a 24kw Leaf (after swearing i would not buy Nissan again) so the difference for me is huge,yeah i know its not the best out there but i got a good deal so couldnt say no_One thing i do find is i dont seem to regen to much ie add miles on a downhill stretch.On cerain parts of my commute in the 24kw Leaf i could leave work and when i hit the motorway i could have more 2-4 miles more than when i left not so in the 40kw never not once.

·
Registered
78 Posts
On cerain parts of my commute in the 24kw Leaf i could leave work and when i hit the motorway i could have more 2-4 miles more than when i left not so in the 40kw never not once.
That reminds me of one journey I had in my old 24kWh LEAF. I drove about 4.5 miles back home over a route that was overall down hill, and when I arrived at home I had one percent more battery charge than when I started the hourney! It only happened that once, and I guess that it was helped by round-off errors, but it was still surprising to gain charge over that distance. You don't get this sort of entertainment in a pertol car!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just another thought - have you checked your brakes? o_O I mention that because Bjorn Nyland thought his Tesla Model 3 was not giving the efficiency he was expecting, and he discovered that his rear brakes were binding (so that after a journey the front disc brakes were cold but the rear discs were warm/hot). He has since then had his brakes replaced (new discs and different pads that are designed specifically for electic vehicles) and he tested the efficiency again and it was improved to more or less what he was expecting. (See Model 3 getting NRS brakes at EV Services and Model 3 Performance efficiency test).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts