Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we’re contemplating buying a Zoe GT 50KWH. The major use of the car will be to drive down from London to Brighton twice a week to babysit our grandchildren. It’s a journey of 50 miles each way, with no charging available. I’m getting a bit worried about this, so can anyone in the forum give me some real world experience as to whether this is going to be OK?

thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
795 Posts
A Ze50 even in winter will give you 140 to 160 miles easily as long as you are not sitting at 70mph.. stay about 60mph.
In warmer weather you will get a lot more.
There also seem to be a lot of rapid chargers in the Brighton area according to zap map.

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is an easy journey for the Zoe, and as mentioned there are fast/rapid charge points in Brighton if you do feel you need to charge.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would have no problem doing this in my ZE40, so you'll be more than fine in all weathers and wouldn't even worry about speed in a ZE50.

Assuming of course you can leave on 100% and don't need the car to drive around much when you arrive?

·
Registered
507 Posts
That’s ok, and welcome to the forum.

Regarding the range of the ZE50 Zoe, during the summer I can easily mange a 180 mile round trip. Winter’s the only time I stop for a quick 15 minute rapid charge on the return leg, so 100 miles for you wouldn’t be a problem. I find it an extremely efficient car and for me comfortable on longer journeys.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
256 Posts
As everyone above have said, 100 miles round trip is nothing to be worried about. I am with R90 (41kWh battery) and even with the recent cold weather (-4, -9 C) for 3 weeks here in Scotland I still managed 130 miles on a charge with 7 to 9% left in the battery before plugin in at home. Enjoy the car and don't worry about the trip, you will make it any day of the week regardless of how bad or cold the weather is. 👍

·
Registered
Zoe ZE40 R90
548 Posts
I travel in my ZE40 from Canterbury to visit my son in Abbey Wood, mostly motorway, and about 52 miles each way with no trouble at all, even in Winter. I keep to 65 ish on the Motorway, which seems to be a good trade off between speed and efficiency. You should have no problems at all in a ZE50 (y)

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
133 Posts
There also seem to be a lot of rapid chargers in the Brighton area according to zap map.
I can't see a single rapid charger in Brighton on Zap Map, the nearest single charger being in nearby Hove.

But on the other hand the return journey is well within the Zoe's range.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,061 Posts
I can't see a single rapid charger in Brighton on Zap Map, the nearest single charger being in nearby Hove.

That's your first mistake, using Zap map. Plug share shows 1 rapid, but loads of destination chargers.

·
Registered
507 Posts

There’s one Shell recharge in Hove which isn’t a stones throw, and no doubt more will be on the way -

·
Registered
Zoe GT Line 2020
133 Posts
Don't suggest you might be in Brighton when in Hove! The locals keep their torches flaming ready to drive out strangers who might make that mistake!

One single rapid charger in the entire city of Brighton and Hove is awful though. Especially with a Green council, and purely from my observations, a high take up of EVs.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Don't suggest you might be in Brighton when in Hove! The locals keep their torches flaming ready to drive out strangers who might make that mistake!

One single rapid charger in the entire city of Brighton and Hove is awful though. Especially with a Green council, and purely from my observations, a high take up of EVs.
😂 bit like that is it?
To be honest Shell are very good at fixing any faulty chargers so I can’t see a major issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts