Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A man named Egolf sets a range record in an ID.3 ? Really !

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
488 Posts
That works out at 5.7 miles/kWh about 3.2 more than my wife is managing on her 11 mile commute at the moment :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
488 Posts
That's pretty high compared to my wifes average of 20 mph, think I need to teach her how to drive economically!

·
Registered
ID3 Pro Performance Business
38 Posts
I tend to get about 2.4miles/kwh on my 50 miles a day. I think I need to learn to drive this thing a little differently lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
I managed to get 7.5mi/kWh last month around the city in mostly 20mph zones, this was on a 10/12C day and over 30miles or so.

Soon went back down to 3mi/kWh.....

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
488 Posts
I know EVs are all affected by the cold but is it just me or is the ID3 affected more than others!

Has anyone else noticed about 6-7 kW/h consumption when first switching the car on when it's cold (this is without any HVAC on) I presumed it was either an error or the battery heater coming on. When this has happened I've switched it on and off and it seems to go down back to the usual .2 kW/h or so.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
I'm just looking to ask about the efficiency as I'm not impressed the last few days.
I've come from an e-Golf amd have to really drive hard to get less than 3mi/kWh even on the winter but this morning I drove my normal route to work, B & C roads average speed of 27mph, and only got 2.6mi/kWh.

88 mile run yesterday with an average speed of 70mph, that's acc set at 75 all the time quart from the first mile.
2.5mi/kWh.
I can understand yesterday's, but this morning in similar conditions at much slower speeds being the same? There's something not right there.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,647 Posts
I'm just looking to ask about the efficiency as I'm not impressed the last few days.
I've come from an e-Golf amd have to really drive hard to get less than 3mi/kWh even on the winter but this morning I drove my normal route to work, B & C roads average speed of 27mph, and only got 2.6mi/kWh.

88 mile run yesterday with an average speed of 70mph, that's acc set at 75 all the time quart from the first mile.
2.5mi/kWh.
I can understand yesterday's, but this morning in similar conditions at much slower speeds being the same? There's something not right there.
It’s the weather, or more precisely the temperature.

From my first long trips thread, my initial 175 mile trip in temps that started at 12c and ended at 6c I achieved a calculated 3.5 m/kWh.

The return journey at 5c to 2.5c yielded 3.2 m/kWh.

On Tuesday evening I did the same journey in 0c to -2c, and I got 3.1 m/kWh.

There is a big initial energy price to pay in the ID.3 I think, where the battery and cabin are heated, but on a longer journey that deficit becomes less of an issue in the ‘numbers’.

If I go out to pick my daughter up from school, a 6 mile round trip, I’ve seen only 1.8 m/kWh.

Don’t we have this every year? Come spring we’ll be seeing the ‘What a difference the temp makes!’ threads.

I’ve concluded that the bog standard 58kWh ID.3 is a 190 mile winter, 240 mile summer car, when driven like an actual car keeping up with traffic. I’m very happy with that.

For any beyond max range trips, what does it matter what the miles per kWh say?

The e-Golf is more efficient, I agree, but it’s lighter and has a passive battery. It’s also far less useful on longer trips which is what I got an ID.3 for.

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
488 Posts
Where do you see this? I haven't had time to read the manual yet. Slowly finding my way around but haven't noticed a screen showing the current power draw
It's on the vehicle screen where it normal shows miles per kWh when you first start up or stop moving the display changes to kW/h.

Is there any benefit to warming the battery before or during driving if it wont be rapid charged?

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
It's on the vehicle screen where it normal shows miles per kWh when you first start up or stop moving the display changes to kW/h.

Is there any benefit to warming the battery before or during driving if it wont be rapid charged?
Thanks, mine has a screen to confirm I want to be in connected mode when I get in the car and once I've pressed connected it defaults to the left hand home screen.

I'm not sure if it's how I've set the settings but I just get in, put my foot on the brake and put it in drive. Mostly the heating is set, seat is on heat level 2 and the wheel on 1.

@Tooks I'm loving the car but really disappointed with the efficiency especially this morning. I was a little disappointed with the longer run and the 1-2 miles run are really bad, but the Golf wasn't much better. This morning I was trying reasonably hard to be efficient but I couldn't get anywhere near 3mi/kWh. In the Golf I would have been 3.2-3.5+ even at 1°C.

Efficiency is a big part of the electric car for me. I haven't looked at an iPace or etron, either of which I would like, as I know I would find the efficiency frustrating but I've now bought a car that is using rather a lot of power, probably just to heat the battery and cabin inefficiently as it sounds like the car is quite efficient. I know it will get better in a couple of months time, but it's still frustrating at the moment.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Efficiency is a big part of the electric car for me. I haven't looked at an iPace or etron, either of which I would like, as I know I would find the efficiency frustrating but I've now bought a car that is using rather a lot of power, probably just to heat the battery and cabin inefficiently as it sounds like the car is quite efficient. I know it will get better in a couple of months time, but it's still frustrating at the moment.
I know what you’re saying, but ask the e-tron and iPace owners what they’re getting at the moment...

I think there’s snags to be sorted on the efficiency calculation, my own car under reads the distance travelled by 4%, and calculating the energy used from the battery % remaining (which I’m presuming is correct) the miles per kWh is similarly under reported.

Im watching my car outside parked up gradually getting covered in snow before my 175 mile drive home later, I’ll be able to do it without stopping if I so choose with the heating on and at a sensible speed, something I could never contemplate in the e-Golf.

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
I though Bjorn Nyland said the ID.3 was pretty efficient? In any case, I have so much more range than the e-Golf I've stopped worrying about turning AC/heating off or reducing my speed. It's a so much nicer experience.
BatteryLife also did a Bjorn style 1000km test late summer in Germany, he achieved it in just over 10.5hrs, with 7 charge stops, and he wasn’t hanging about averaging 150 km/h in the early stages IIRC. The car didn’t rapid gate either, hitting 100kw every time on the chargers.

It’s not a perfect car the ID.3, what car is, but it’s a good effort and will hopefully be even better when they rollout the software. That’s likely to be delayed a bit with the current lockdown I’d have thought, but something to look forward to.

I can recommend the battery disconnect though, since I did mine I’ve next to no software glitches or phantom error messages, that was over 3 weeks ago now, and 1500 miles. It’s almost like the way I use mine sits happily with the software.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,850 Posts
The car is great, wouldn't want to send it back unless I could have another one with a heat pump, but the extra cost would never be recouped. I wasn't getting much better efficiency with the Golf, if any, than many of you were reporting without the heat pump so I decided to go for the better spec of the 1st instead of a business with a heat pump, or spend a lot more and get family with heat pump and alloys.

I'm loving the drive, it looks great and I've actually had someone at work say they are jealous of the car, never had that with the Niro, or any other EV I've had.
I'll get used to seeing the efficency figures starting with a 2 and just ignore it I guess. Just didn't expect that on a gentle drive to work this morning.

Are you expecting to get 175 miles in the snow without charging?

Mines booked in for the update to 2.0 next week,I'll e what changes, probably not much yet apart from I won't be concerned about the battery going flat

·
Premium Member
6,647 Posts
Are you expecting to get 175 miles in the snow without charging?
Yes, but I guess I’ll find out! 😀👍

My journey up involved sub zero temps rain and standing snow across the high points, and although I had to slow down a bit towards the end to ensure I didn’t run things too close, I got 3.1 m/kWh and theoretical range of 180, but I still had 5% left so good for another 10 miles max I guess?

I’d have liked a heat pump for just this edge case, but I couldn’t get one in the 1st so there‘s no point wishing for one, I can always stop and charge for 10 mins if I need or want to, or I could choose to do the trip at a more traditional EV speed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just done Nottingham to Boston and back (lucky me). 55 miles each way. Mix of dual carriageway, mild city (suburbs) and main roads. ACC on for 90% of it. Averaged 3.2. Semi pre-heat. seat heating on for 3-4 mins at start of each leg. Temp set to 17 degrees as it was very sunny. Its my first EV so I don't have a comparison with others, but I'm happy enough.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts