Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Can you not get a view of the turbo rod with a camera to ascertain whether it has been repaired or replaced? I cannot believe the quote of £700 to replace it - the part is going to be £20 or less and normally there is room to remove the heat shields to get to it (although I have never tried on a GTE).
Of course this will not resolve the lack of Nav.......

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Indeed I considered this but the previous owner who has been contacted confirms he did not replace it and instead had it repaired, I assume a weld or plate of some sort.

As you say it still doesn’t rectify the missing nav.

Si

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great thread, hope you get sorted one way or the other with a GTE. Best car I've owned in a long time and like some others on this very forum I'm a serial car nut with a power fixation. Last one was north of 400bhp.

Noting your concerns over the lack of Nav, personally I dislike the VW Nav, too fussy and not a player unless your phone hooks up perfectly. Which it doesn't in my case. I use Waze 99% of the time via my phone. Sometimes I give Google a shot, or Apple Maps, but always go back to Waze. (Oddly, Google own Waze so I can't understand why it's not integrated with G Maps!)
Sure you miss the novelty of the map optionally appearing on the dash in front of you but for me it's not such a big deal really.

Referencing the turbo rod and ensuing discussion, IMHO surely a broken actuator rod has zero effect on the engine other than to put the turbo into limp mode? In which case there's no real penalty other than the need to replace it. Sounds like you were keen on the car - is there any more room for negotiation with the dealer, seems the ball is in your court.

PS - when looking at others check the rear passenger carpets as the nearside rear door may leak! mine did, lots of others too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Indeed the car was lovely and I was really impressed with all other aspects of it. My concern was the ‘weakness’ of the repair and propensity flying to cost me in the months/years to come.

I have emailed the salesman who was off today and won’t be back in until tomorrow to suggest that if cost adjustment is made for me to have the repair done or for them to replace the part identified then we could still have a deal. I get the impression they would like to sell it so you never know....

Will keep the thread updated and thanks for the pointer on the leaky door!

Si

41 - 44 of 44 Posts