Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an mg for 11 days, the lowest km's i had on the battery was 36 km.
Today after driving a long distance trip i had 26 km's left and a 17 km drive to a 50 kw charger, did the math and belived i'll have about 9 km's left but after the dashboard showed me 16km's to empty (thats 10 miles) the display transformed to unknown as shown in the picture
20200221_181810.jpg

Had some nurve recking 5 minutes since i had at least 3 km's until the fast charging point.

I got to the charging point with no problems and wanted to check if locking and unlocking the car will reset the "range to empty" count to zero or something near it but it stayed the same ???

I have some questions for you guys :

1. Did any of you guys get reliable count down to 5 and 1 km's to empty ?
2. Before buyong thus car the dealer told me that near the end of the battery after getting the messages to charge the car will warn me and restrict the finnal speed of the car first from 100 km per hour( thats about 60 mph to ) to about 50 km per hour and than if i insist on still driving the car will restrict me to 30 km per hour, was that just bulshit that the sale guy told me ?
3. What is the best rate of kw charge you get on this car ?

20200221_182636.jpg

20200221_184600.jpg

I think i got 69-75 kw on a 175 kw dc charger

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wrong picture for the kw check, here is my math
10kw/8 minutes times 60 gives about 75kw/h
20200221_183437.jpg

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,235 Posts
Hi, that's how most EVs go when you reach somewhere about 10%. Most show you range until you get somewhere near 10/15 miles left. Then the range goes to dashes. It's designed to make you really want to go to a charger. Like: don't mess about, I want some juice.

That is a good rate of charge. What was the temperature near you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, that's how most EVs go when you reach somewhere about 10%. Most show you range until you get somewhere near 10/15 miles left. Then the range goes to dashes. It's designed to make you really want to go to a charger. Like: don't mess about, I want some juice.

That is a good rate of charge. What was the temperature near you?
Temp around 20c

I vagly remember Bjorn said something about mg supporting 85kw dc charge but he could not verify that in the cold wether.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,235 Posts
Temp around 20c

I vagly remember Bjorn said something about mg supporting 85kw dc charge but he could not verify that in the cold wether.
Yeah, that's a lovely warm temperature. Over here in UK were just starting to rise from the 3C to about 6C that's we've had for the last month or so. Range will go up when we get to about 9C and charging will improve around 15C. Can't wait.

·
richi.uk
227 Posts
Empty on the battery meter is likely to be about 10‰ "true" state of charge. Depending on cell balance, that'll roughly be the point where it slows you down, to protect the cells from damage.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Its a "guess o meter" indeed. Charged yesterday indicating 109 miles at end of charge. Powered up today and it indicated 77 miles of range. Travelled locally and did nine miles, range dropped 21 miles! Its was 1 - 2 deg C today with high wind, heavy rain and some medium snow fall so fingers crossed it will be more predictable in summer!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
This is what has been posted on the Facebook group:

here's the state of charge as per the 8-bar gauge:

8 : 91-100%

7 : 80-91%

6 : 69-80%

5 : 58-69%

4 : 47-58%

3 : 36-47%

2 : 25-36%

1 : <25% (HV battery light comes on)

HV battery light starts flashing at 10% and will warn about aggressive driving. I believe it stops flashing and disappears at 5%.

The GoM turns to --- at 10 miles

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,235 Posts
Its a "guess o meter" indeed. Charged yesterday indicating 109 miles at end of charge. Powered up today and it indicated 77 miles of range. Travelled locally and did nine miles, range dropped 21 miles! Its was 1 - 2 deg C today with high wind, heavy rain and some medium snow fall so fingers crossed it will be more predictable in summer!
GOM also depends on driving style. Did you go for a blast yesterday?

Just before Christmas I went to a Renault dealer to look at a second hand Zoe 40 for my daughter. The dealer said he would be sad to lose it as it was his daily driver, but it was for sale. When asked he said he drove it carefully. When I checked the average m/kWh it said 3.5. Carefully driven, not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thinking about it a bit more the head wind during the nine miles yesterday was terrible as well as the rain, and the climb up to the house is a steep 100 m ascent so that may explain it giving a drop on the GOM.

Today I did just over 30 miles in a loop with a fairly strong tailwind but sunny and dry conditions, half way I was at 3.8 m/kWh. The return part of the loop was mostly sheltered and arrived home with 3.4 m/kWh for the whole trip. I was driving very gently and carefully on A and B roads never over 55mph. I think the MG is just less efficient than the Zoe.

Started with 150 miles after 100% charge and after 31 miles the GOM read 121 miles so bang on-ish.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Started with 150 miles after 100% charge and after 31 miles the GOM read 121 miles so bang on-ish.
Over short time I have owned my car, I have also found that the consumption reported by the GOM is pretty accurate to the distance covered even in terrible weather conditions.
e.g. - 50 miles distance covered by the car, 50 miles of used range reported by the GOM.
This with the heater / wipers / radio / and head lights on, when necessary.

·
Registered
225 Posts
This is also my experience - over the month I've owned the car we've used it for both short and long trips, in variable weather conditions (that is, bad to terrible!! :)). So far, the GoM has been pretty spot-on, whichever type of journey (which is puzzling, as I'm not sure how it seems to anticpate future conditions, rather than simply react to historical data ;-)). In the morning, when fully charged, the range usually says "152" on Eco, or "132" on Normal. So far we've always driven on Eco. At the end of a fairly long journey (100 miles or so) the sum of miles driven (according to the trip data) and range remaining usually adds up to 150, give or take a mile, so pretty spot on in my book! Again according to the trip info, we get 3.2 (shorter journeys) to 3.5 (longer journeys) miles per kwh.

Looking forward to seeing what summer temperatures do for the range!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Further to the above, I've now run the car down to below 25% battery (one bar on the dashboard meter) on a couple of occasions. On one trip the remaining range went down to 15, on the other it was 20. In each case, the range again reduced linearly with mileage, with no indication of range "collapsing" at the very end of the battery. In my previous ICE cars (particularly the Volvo V70, but also Lexus LS430s) once the range got below 30 miles, they seemed to collapse, reducing to 10 miles or less remaining within about 5 miles of driving! So I seem to be able to reliably push the MG much closer to "empty" than I would with an ICE car. Is this other folks' experience?

·
Registered
235 Posts
My experience is slightly different. With consumers off it tends to read 172 remaining on eco after a full charge. I have done a fair few long motorway journeys (200+ miles) and the range tends to drop to about 120 realistically, which is what I anticipated. I have tested the car hard with motorway driving between 75 and 80 mph. It is definitely a predictor, rather than making use of historical data, essentially saying "if you carry on driving like this then you have X range left".

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's really interesting - how long have you had your car, and what temperatures have you been operating in? I see you're UK, so the temps can't be that high!! :) - I'm intregued to understand how you get 172 miles projected range after charge... what miles/kwh figures are you getting?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,235 Posts
I think the MG is just less efficient than the Zoe.
Sadly, yes. Not by a huge amount though. I'm at 3.9 m/kWh which has dropped from 4.5 m/kWh in the summer.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,190 Posts
I think the MG is just less efficient than the Zoe.
Interesting.

In real world driving I get about 3.1mpkWh in winter in Zoe. Heater on, wet roads, cold. In summer I average more like 3.8mpkWh driven pretty quickly to be fair, AC on, 4 in the car. If I get close to those figures in the ZS I would argue to ZS is more efficient than Zoe on the basis its a bigger car, more frontal area so if the motor/drivetrain can get a similar mpkWh figure then it has to be efficient.

What the MG will never do is beat a Hyundai, they seem to use black magic to get their high kWh figures.

Reactions: Neilew
1 - 20 of 21 Posts