Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there , this could be an obvious thread at first as it seemed to me but got more complicated the more i thought about it . What sort of weights actually effect range ? Now I know theoretically any but it’s not a simple as that . If you drive consistently at 50mph with no weight in the van due to the size and drag your essentially pushing a huge mass with no carrying weight . Like a ping pong ball and it slows down quickly. On the other hand if your stop starting in town this could me advantageous as your not carrying a lot stop starting getting the van going . Similarly if you carry weight at speed once you’ve got it going you have weight with the mass to push it through the air . I have installed a rock and roll bed in my van and I can’t tell yet how much range I have lost due to winter conditions. Anyone experience any of these issues and have anything to put ? Cheers

·
Registered
950 Posts
You need more energy to get up to speed and will regain a little more I regeneration. The greatest loss is due to increased rolling resistance.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Now this is just hearsay but comes from a thread on here some time ago.
Someone got to talk to the technical people who were involved in the development of the Nissan ENV200. He asked why there was no number given for the range of the van fully loaded. They said that their tests could not detect any difference in range between a loaded van and an empty one.
Since noone would believe them and they didn't quite believe it themselves they just omitted the loaded range from the data.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm seems odd that . I would say I’ve added about 80kg in my van so trying to calculate if that would effect range ( a notable difference)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
If you have data for before you added the weight you are in an excellent position to do the comparison yourself over the next few months.

And add to the pool of knowledge!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well empty I was getting 3.9kw average at 8oc temp so we shall see . I’m unsure of the payload in these vans

·
ENV200 Owner
270 Posts
Maximum payload is 705kg. 80kg is only a person so hope it wouldn’t make much difference. I keep meaning to go and weigh mine now it’s finished, but my average over 12,000 miles is 3.6miles per kWh. I can get over 4 pottering around town, but have fairly regular motorway journeys at 65+mph.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3.6 is fair although I’m struggling to get that at the moment. Just a thought . Is it better to use the constant heater or the climate control I never know

·
ENV200 Owner
270 Posts
Not sure. Mine ‘docks’ about 30 miles from full with either the heater or climate control switched on, but the gap becomes much smaller the less my range is. I have a diesel heater installed as I found the cab heating ineffective, which is fair enough since I removed the bulkhead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts