Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at viewing a Soul EV this weekend and have been searching on auto trader.

Couple of questions.......

Some are advertised at 30kw others at 81kw, yet some are advertised 2017+ at 30kw. I thought 2017 onwards was the larger battery?

What are realistic ranges for the two battery options (mainly town and dual carriageway)?
All the cars I want to view are 60+ miles away!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
I think you are mixing a couple of things here: one is battery size, the other is power delivered by the motor. Sorry, if it is not you but the AT.

Just for clarity kWh is battery size, kW is power of motor.

Soul came originally with a 24kWh battery, which was increased to 30kWh around 2017. I'm not certain but I think both came with the same 81kW motor (109bhp).

Someone else will have to help with the ranges.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, gotcha!!
Same motor, different battery sizes from 2017. Adverts from sellers aren't the clearest.

From what I can find, range for the smaller battery is around 75-95miles?

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
214 Posts
Ah, gotcha!!
Same motor, different battery sizes from 2017. Adverts from sellers aren't the clearest.

From what I can find, range for the smaller battery is around 75-95miles?
Confusing battery energy (kWh) with motor power (kW) seems to be a common problem with EV adverts.
My last ICE car (MINI) had a 1.5litre engine and a 60litre fuel tank, but these two numbers rarely get confused!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Some are advertised at 30kw others at 81kw, yet some are advertised 2017+ at 30kw. I thought 2017 onwards was the larger battery?

What are realistic ranges for the two battery options (mainly town and dual carriageway)?
Todor is correct in that the motor power is 81kW (about 110 hp) and that there are two options of battery capacity.

Early cars (15-17) have a 30kWh pack with 27kWh usable. Later cars (17 on) have a 31.5kWh pack with 30kWh usable. It is very hard to tell what cars have what pack - I've been given some clues, but there seems to be overlap in some 66 plate cars appearing to have the new pack, yet seeing signs of old pack on some 17 plate cars. In case you're interested the signs are that early pack cars have silver bezels around the dash-top speakers and came with Nexen tyres from factory, while later cars have black&silver bezels and came with michelin tyres.

From what I've read, realistic range from the two packs is about 75-95 miles,as you say, for the earlier battery pack and about 85-110 with the later pack (it seems to have a bigger impact than the change in capacity suggests). I have no personal real world experience with the Soul EV, however. In your other thread I did carefully select three later cars (ie 30kWh usable) that met your budget.

Something to be aware of with the Soul is that it has a REALLY efficient drivetrain (I mean absolutely superb), but its aerodynamics absolutely suck (and this applies to the petrol versions as well - we had a petrol soul as a rental in the usa and found this to apply to it too). For local pootling about, school runs, shops, etc it's irrelevant, and irrelevant on <60 mile journeys. However, the impact of it is that on motorway journeys it will very quickly lose range as you go faster, and there will be big benefits to sticking to 60ish on the motorway. At 60mph the soul experiences similar aerodynamic loss to an Ioniq going at 75mph or a leaf going at 70mph (but leaf has a less efficient motor so they even out). Aerodynamic losses go up as a square, so they double for every 1.4x increase in speed (ie double at 70mph compared to 50mph).

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
133 Posts
The original SoulEV has a 27kWh battery, and the 2017 model has 30kWh, so only a small increase. You can distinguish the models because the 2017 model (introduced about Oct 2017) has the letter "J" as the 10th character of the VIN, whereas the original does not. I have the 30kWh model, and the GOM (guessometer) currently states 150 miles when the battery is charged to 100%. However, the weather is getting colder, so I will be using the heating and aircon more, and the battery's efficiency reduces in cold weather, so I would not count on more than 120 miles in midwinter. Living in Jersey, I don't do long or fast journeys, so your mileage may vary (as they say).

Batteries can deteriorate with use and time, and the technology of the 27 kWh models may not be as good, so perhaps 100 miles is a realistic figure for them. Batteries also suffer from very high temperatures. Cars in the hotter parts of the USA have lost considerable capacity, and when the SOH (State of Health) drops below 70%, KIA replace or repair them under warranty. They only have to restore them to 70%, but it seems that they usually do it to 100%.

If you are buying from a KIA dealer, get them to show you a print-out of the SOH from their diagnostic equipment. If it's below 70%, tell them you'll only buy the car when KIA have restored the battery. Some dealers will just reset the electronic controller, which makes the GOM show a higher value, but it soon drops to the correct value after a few trips, so don't be fooled by the GOM reading. Insist on the reading of SOH from the diag. equipment.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow.

I'm definitely new to EV ownership and impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
I have a bit to learn and the head scratching continues 😃

We are possibly going to look at this car in the next 48/72 hours. Would be interested in your thoughts (it's 60 miles from me, so range anxiety has already kicked in).

·
Registered
942 Posts
That car in general looks ok... my personal concern is that it looks filthy inside - the pedals, the driver's seat, stalks. That suggests that the owner hasn't particularly cared for it and that the dealer hasn't bothered prepping it particularly. If it was my money I'd find the extra £1500 to get one of the 18-plates - newer, more warranty remaining, bigger battery, etc.

Where approximately are you located?

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
133 Posts
Looks ok pricewise, and its a KIA dealer, so get that SOH report. If they won't play, what are they hiding?

As a comparator, take a look at JD Cleve. I got mine from him, sight unseen, and recommend him highly. The car was immaculate, and, as you can see, the battery is excellent. Living in Jersey, I also got the VAT off!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Talking of JD cleve, for the same money I think this looks better: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009244148151

Obviously take the silly stickers off, but there's signs that the previous owner cared for the car (eg adding the bumper sill protector pads, the stickers, interior is very clean other than a couple of marks on driver's seat, none of the embedded ground-in dirt that the JCT600 car has), etc.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Talking of JD cleve, for the same money I think this looks better: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009244148151

Obviously take the silly stickers off, but there's signs that the previous owner cared for the car (eg adding the bumper sill protector pads, the stickers, interior is very clean other than a couple of marks on driver's seat, none of the embedded ground-in dirt that the JCT600 car has), etc.
Bought my 1st Tesla from Jason Cleve, would happily recommend him and would also buy without driving the car if i were to purchase form him again, as he was so straightforward to deal with. He arranged for mine to be delivered for £100, which saved the the 8 hours round trip to go and collect it, which I had done to test drive the car, 4 hours to Grimsby, 1 hour test drive and 4 hours back!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We live in Nottingham and I just cannot find a local car for my wife to sit in and look at (it is her car, so she needs to be comfortable with it).

Will talk to Jason Cleve and have a chat.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
133 Posts
I agree that car looks good, but I'm concerned that, with the battery state of charge at something like 55% (the white and red bars to the left of the LH dial in the last pic), the GOM shows only 39 miles, which implies a maximum range of only 71 miles. Admittedly, the GOM is only an estimate, and there may be a good reason, but I would like a SOH reading on the battery before committing to it.

The car from JCT shows 61% SOC with GOM of 41 miles, implying a max. range of 80 miles. Not too bright either.

Maybe they've been driven at high speed, so the GOM is being influenced accordingly.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I agree that car looks good, but I'm concerned that, with the battery state of charge at something like 60% (the white and red bars to the left of the LH dial in the last pic), the GOM shows only 39 miles, which implies a maximum range of only 65 miles. Admittedly, the GOM is only an estimate, and there may be a good reason, but I would like a SOH reading on the battery before committing to it.
I think the answer lies in the same picture - 1mi/kWh. Probably it's been shuffled around here to be washed, there to be photographed, etc.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
133 Posts
The energy consumption reading is totally dependent on when it was last zeroed, and the the GOM does not change when that operation is performed. The GOM probably uses data over the last 100-200 miles, so I doubt a bit of backing and filling had much effect.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Great efficiency IanL. My 12 month average is 4.9 according to the trip. The car was hardly driven between April and September, so there is no summer bias to that, only autumn, winter and spring. I think low 5’s as you are seeing would have been likely had I driven in summer. It’s a very efficient car. My GOM peaked at 145 and now has started to dip, 143 last time. Have only done 2 motorway runs, but covered over 80 miles on 51% battery both times.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some great info guys, thank you.

With work commitments, we are finding it hard to do a 2-3hr round trip to see a Soul EV.
Not a single on one in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Chesterfield dealerships or independent dealers!

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,691 Posts
We had a 27kwh and a later 30kwh Soul. If you can its well worth getting the 30kwh. The range is about 20 miles more, there were minor effiency changes as well as a slightly bigger battery. That extra 20 miles makes a big difference on longer tripsmwhen your choosing chargers. Your wife if like mine will love the driving position, you can easily see the cornersmof the car and fromt and rear sensors and camera were a boon for her. If you just want a test drive both battery sizes look and drive exactly the same. I had to go 550 miles to purchase our first Soul and drive it home with no problem. It may be worth asking on the forum if an existing owner who lives close can let you look at theirs perhaps.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV. Lotus Exige
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the heads up on the range difference.
My wife prefers a high driving position (which is why she liked the MG ZS), so just need to sit in one.
No rush but will be buying before the end of the year.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Soul EV
45 Posts
Before you part with your money have a look at the video on Youtube, Used Soul EV 2014 - 2019 model by Car Pervert.
Listen to his conversation with Jonathan Porterfield. I did and bought my Kia Soul EV through him. It's really worth having a chat with him.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts