Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I opened that can of worms, tipped it on the floor and am now dancing in the mess :D

So I acknowledge that I am probably in the minority of Leaf owners, but taking the family camping I need the extra volume of a roofbox for the bedding and other lightweight gear etc (Thule state 50Kg load including bars and box, so leaves me 29Kg load capacity in case you wondered).

Does anyone have any real world experience of what sort of range drop to expect?

With the old oil burner we used to see 42mpg not 44-45mpg so ~7% drop in range. Leaf seems more "aero" dependant on consumption though. Its the last 73 mile leg past Exeter to deepest cornwall that worries me!

(and if Ecotricity could hold off upgrading to app charging for another few weeks that would be great :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
There was a thread that mentioned this a while ago, here it is. Might have some useful info?

I remembered it because some people said it was illegal, so it stuck in my mind.

Hope this helps!

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seen that thread but it's more about tow bars and bike carriers. Leaf not type approved for tow bar, Thule bars are EC approved and crash tested so no problems there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Tall Paul. Not a roof bar response but as to rapid chargers there is one on Okehampton and a really friendly Nissan garage Vospers next to the A 38 in Plymouth that can plug the gap. David

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I think a lot will depend on your choice of roofbox. I had a fairly aerodynamic carrite on my last car, and that made less than a 5% effect of fuel economy.

I think you may find the lead aerodynamics aren't all that amazing, so the additional drag of the roof box may well be comparable to your old car, if it's the same roof box ;)

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not the same box, old one was short fast 300L Halfords Jobbie, new one is long thin 300L Thule one, partly because I want ability to carry bikes next to the box, partly because I figured smaller front cross section should be more aero efficient.

I will have to do some testing, her Ladyship is daily driver of the leaf so will need to wrestle control...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi.

I have a Prorack Whispbar and a Thule 780 Pacific Roof Box (15kg Empty).
I originally had it on my Audi A2 (Rated at 40kg roof load) and did not notice a huge drop in MPG only 3-5mpg. Though the A2 has a stupidly low drag coefficient anyway.
I have hauled everything from 3 bicycles to a Morris Minor Galvanised Chassis on the roof racks on the A2 with no issues at all.

So when it came to transferring the Roof Rack to the Nissan Leaf (Rated at 40kg roof load) I did not worry too much about hauling things slightly over the rated specs. The leaf has a much bigger and flatter roof than the A2 which is much easier to load things onto it. Plus the roof rack thing is more common sense anyway, don't over do it and make sure the load is even, drive carefully and allow plenty of time for slowing down and take it easy on corners.

I've loaded the roof box up with a Bell tent and sleeping bags, with a couple of lightweight chairs, picnic basket and blanket with no issues.

As for the drop in range, again over long distances the drop would be 5-10 miles of range (in bad weather) which, in the grand scheme of things, is nothing to write home about.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
535 Posts
One other thing, I tend to be super lazy and leave the roof bars (not including the box) on the car a lot. I regularly get 4.6 - 5.2 kWh economy with it on, that was a mixture of town and a roads with 3 up in the car.
Best range I had recently was 104 miles and I still had (according the car) 7 miles of range remaining, though the Leaf spy said I had more.

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @speakevnumpty, do you have 24kWh or 30Kwh Leaf? I think we get about 3.8-4.1kWh, best range was 100 miles with 20 showing still, sounds about the same.

Your box is a lot bigger than our new one, which is a 600 series so long and narrow, fingers crossed for not much loss of range, not tried it yet as turns out it needs different adapters for the box to the rails to the old box :(

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
@NissanGB have previously said on this forum roof boxes are illegal on the leaf.

The chance of getting pulled up has to be pretty slim.

If you were being overly cautious get a professional (read insured!) installer to fit it for you.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,573 Posts
For big loads, bear in mind you're driving electric so it's OK to drive with the tail-gate half-open and lashed down over your bulky kit. No exhaust issue, y'see....

·
Yes I'm a girl! Girls can be EV nerds too ;-)
649 Posts
Meh to it being illegal - I have just bought the inflatable roof bars (I know sounds stupid - bought late at night when it seemed like a good idea) and roof bag thingy for camping.

I needed an alternative to leaving one of the children at home so I had enough space! ;-)

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What other options do we have?
Presumably @NissanGB will give you a full refund for advertising the Leaf as a car, without making clear it doesn't support car like functions like using roofbars to go on holiday? ;)

If Thule released the tested fit feet (which I thought included crash testing) then I am personally not too worried, and alternative as you say is that you ned another car just to go on holiday...

·
Yes I'm a girl! Girls can be EV nerds too ;-)
649 Posts
Haha yep - refund would be great - adoption not so great ;-)

Inflatable roof bars have arrived - I haven't unboxed them as yet. But just re read Nissan gbs post - it seems I can get a bike rack and could add box or bag ... Hmm maybe that could be the legal answer.

Thule have done a very nice you tube video where they attach roof bars to a Nissan (neesan) leaf - it is American though (hence Neesan). Maybe the leafs are differently tested?

But tbh it's going to have to have something attached to it somewhere to expand the space as I need a holiday of the camping variety, with both children and the dog ;-)

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So in summary - this worked fine.
Home (100%) - Bristol IKEA - 84 miles - 25 miles range/17% battery left
Bristol IKEA (95%) - Exeter Services - 86 Miles - 23 miles range/18% battery left
Exeter Services (98%) - Campsite - 85 miles - 13 miles range/11% (low battery) left

When I say "worked fine" I had of course forgotten that Bristol Ikea has indoor car park, and didn't realise the charger was inside - threw the wife out to check clearance (marked 2.1m) and she was not certain so pulled over to re-assess. There is a flat car park at the back so went round there and had a measure up... its more like 2.3m so car went in fine in the end with box on, which was a relief! Another Leaf was already charging and finished so we unplugged them (left polite note why) and went for meatballs - came out to find note back on our screen that our charge had error'd so I had to re-start (IKEA Bristol is/was still free on card at the time) so left well charged.

Had exactly the same issue at Exeter - but that was a right faff as I only had 14 minutes and had to call Ecotricity to get it reset (alt-ctrl-del their end) then it worked OK but I could not stop the charge (please use app said screen helpfully) so rather than call them back I just waited out the 30m to time out. That was good though, as it was a bit tight to final destination due to all the hills on A30 so glad we had the problem in the end!
charge-error-exeter.jpg
Could just be hot pack or something, as car not done it since...

So there you go, you can stick a box on and only loose a bit of range, I would say somewhere between 10-15% down on what we usually see.

This is what a packed holiday Leaf looks like:
Exeter.jpg

Charging off the campsite hookup was fine as well, used our usual 16A commando - RCD/MCB and 3 sockets tent unit (its 2.5mm cable before anyone worries) and plugged EVSE into that - no problems. Did strategically choose pitch with only 2 plugs not 4 on the post though. In fact only problem was the Nissan app which was not working as usual when you need it to check SoC.

All we need now is the new Leaf model with 60kWh battery and 200 miles range... and life is complete.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts