Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that the official rated range that manufacturers state helps EV adoption, or is the industry shooting itself in the foot by setting unrealistic expectations?

With cold weather on it's way, we all know that battery capacity will drop. Add rain and wind, shorter days and more use of the heater and suddenly the official numbers are significantly inaccurate.

Would it be better to show a lower official range which can easily be exceeded in ideal summer conditions, but would be closer to reality for the rest of the year?

Or is adoption all about marketing right now, with the hope that only a few will be unsatisfied enough to make a fuss and go back to ICE?

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Everyone knows the NEDC for MPG is totally unrealistic, but I think it will take a while for the message to sink through that the NEDC for electric range is equally (if not more) wrong.

I always quote EPA figures if available, they're a lot more realistic.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Tell me I'll get 40 MPG and I get 32 MPG in real life, not a massive problem. Tell me I'll get 100 miles per charge and I get 80, could leave me stuck well short of my planned usage.

In short, I think it's a problem but one that wont go away any time soon (if ever).

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is about the setting of expectations more than the technical issues. Remember what happened with broadband - you were sold a 16mb package, but could only get 2mb out of it. Then the regulator got involved and all the associated bad press made the industry change.

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Tell me I'll get 40 MPG and I get 32 MPG in real life, not a massive problem. Tell me I'll get 100 miles per charge and I get 80, could leave me stuck well short of my planned usage.

In short, I think it's a problem but one that wont go away any time soon (if ever).
WLTP would help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worldwide_harmonized_Light_vehicles_Test_Procedures

A 30 minute test that hit a maximum of 81mph, though it would be good to see the range for each part of the profile. For NEDC we get urban and extra urban (bot not on EV's for some reason) which would help a lot. Urban NEDC for a gen1 Leaf might have been 120miles and extra urban 80miles, even that would help a lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts