Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rubbish, at least for the Soul/Niro 64kWh. Both are much better than 190Wh/km, at least in C (<180Wh).
Seems based on real world data, if you follow the link in the OP.

I'm personally probably getting C for my Leaf 62 rather than D but it's early days (and summer). As long as the comparisons are fair I don't think this invalidates the relative rankings.

Interesting that the Leaf 62 and e-Niro 64 are in the same category. I've always thought that the main reason for the range difference between them was just that the e-Niro had a bigger battery. More difference than it at first appears, as KIA and Nissan measure battery capacity in different ways.

Taking size into account, the gold star should go to the Model 3.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
I like the concept, but I’m very surprised by some of the rankings. For example the Mini and the i3 being so far apart despite sharing a drivetrain. From my personal experience I’m also surprised by where the Model 3 LR is (although the one quoted has a different battery from the 75kW one we get in the UK, so that might be why).

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
421 Posts
I really don't think you can compare all EV's like this - sure, an Ioniq 38 is a lot more efficient than an ID.4, but an ID.4 can fit an Ioniq in its boot and go a lot farther on a charge!

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
I really don't think you can compare all EV's like this - sure, an Ioniq 38 is a lot more efficient than an ID.4, but an ID.4 can fit an Ioniq in its boot and go a lot farther on a charge!
Not a LOT farther on a charge though, despite its much bigger battery. That’s the point

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
421 Posts
Not a LOT farther on a charge though, despite its much bigger battery. That’s the point
Still, though, the ID.4 can carry five adults comfortably and has a massive boot - of course a small car like the ioniq is going to be more efficient. Cars aren't like houses, where energy efficiency can be (mostly) detached from size/utility. Big EVs are going to use more energy to get from point A to point B, but will be able to carry a lot more stuff with them when they do!

·
Super Moderator
11,952 Posts
So much depends on conditions, driver and options.

WhatCar got very different results which would change the rankings.

For example:

Kia Niro 64kWh 3.5m/kWh
i3 (120Ah) 3.3m/kWh (303Wh/mi)
i3 (94Ah) 3.1m/kWh (323Wh/mi)
Tesla M3 SR 3.1m/Kwh (323Wh/mi)
Zoe 50 2.9m/kWh (345Wh/mi)
LEAF 40 2.8m/kWh (357Wh/mi)
Tesla M3 LR 2.6m/kWh

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
So much depends on conditions, driver and options.
That is the whole point, this chart is highly subjective. As bad as WLTP is, it is still an attempt at objectivity.

·
Registered
275 Posts
OK, the ID.4 is a bit bigger, but there is less in it than you might think e.g. for length it is 4470mm vs 4584mm. The ID.4 is a lot taller, because it is an SUV, and that is not a good profile for aerodynamic efficiency generally.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Can you add a category for escooters? They get around 15 watt hours hours per kilometer or less… less than 1/10th the energy use per kilometer of the most efficient electric cars…

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,760 Posts
Real world data won't work well here.

The reason? .....

If you have a larger battery do you drive;
a) slower than if you are in a smaller battery car
b) the same
c) FASTER!!!!

(.. not that I have put any subliminal bias there ...)

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,864 Posts
Can you add a category for escooters? They get around 15 watt hours hours per kilometer or less… less than 1/10th the energy use per kilometer of the most efficient electric cars…
Less than 1/10 th of the stuff carried at less than 1/10th of the speed.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Family PP 58kWh, glacier white, east derry alloys
13 Posts
Have a look at the spreadsheet these are derived from. For the ID3 1st the 'real range' is taken as 289 km (179 miles). To get this they 'combine' various arbitrary 'tests' done by various UTube reviewers. I think most of us would put this at the very minimum for the ID3 rather than a real average range. This is combined with a net battery capacity of 55.7 kWh to get the miles/kWh and hence the ranking. Link most attempts to generate 'rankings' this is flawed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well personally, in mixed driving but predominantly cross country including some motorway at around 65mph, in my 120Ah i3 I'm getting between 140 and 160 Wh/km (4 - 4.5 mi/kWh) so that'd make it group A, same as the Mini (which makes more sense to me as they seemed comparable when I test drove one for a day). Peugeot 208 (similar weather etc.) was notably less efficient. I've only had my i3 since May, so generally good conditions though.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
Still, though, the ID.4 can carry five adults comfortably and has a massive boot - of course a small car like the ioniq is going to be more efficient. Cars aren't like houses, where energy efficiency can be (mostly) detached from size/utility. Big EVs are going to use more energy to get from point A to point B, but will be able to carry a lot more stuff with them when they do!
I’d argue that the ionic can carry five people in pretty much as much comfort. The id4 has a slightly bigger footprint but only two or three centimetres length and width. It’s got a bigger boot - but crucially it’s heavy and shaped like a brick.

I think it’s important people know that driving a heavy brick shaped thing about is inherently less efficient and therefore less environmentally responsible than a similarly sized and accommodating lighter and more aerodynamic car.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts