Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy an E-up and am currently researching the charging options. Apart from the CCS rapid charging option, is it possible to charge the E-up using the AC rapid charger? (I have 3 AC rapid chargers within 30 miles but no CCS facility). I've read on an old website the e-up can't exceed 3.5kw of charging, so I assume the AC rapid charge at 43kw is not an option?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome,

No I think only Zoe's can charge at 43kw using AC. The E-up can probably only do 3kw.

Although I've not seen any AC only rapids. Usually it's AC and Chademo and CCS is on all of the rapids I've seen recently.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an e-UP and I believe the AC side of the charge is limited. I know it is; but not sure on the parameters. I can tell you that using the public charge station EV plugs in the region here in France you get about 60% faster charge than the "supplied" cable with the car that plugs into the domestic sockets.

We have a fast charger here in the city Boulevard Dubouchage - Nice: charge point quick in Nice -
But even when I have tried it on the AC side it still needs 2-3h to charge. I have not gone there empty, but just to see what it would do. So my metric are not to take literally, but I believe this car cannot fast charge on AC.

I have read that the e-UP can use a DC taste-charger and get 80% charge in 45min but I have to found that type of system here or with the right adapter/plug. So, I think you are faced with "mostly" AC charging unless you have the DC type around you, and the faster charge I have is when I use the charge points with the EV style 7 PIN plug. They are rated at 32amp here in Nice, but the e-UP does not even use 1/2 of that I am told.

·
9,719 Posts
I've read on an old website the e-up can't exceed 3.5kw of charging, so I assume the AC rapid charge at 43kw is not an option?
Exactly, 3.7kW on-board charging or 50kW DC CCS those are your choices on the e-UP! I would recommend not attempting to use a 43kW AC charger, as they use tethered cables that are ill-suited to the e-UP! or for that matter any vehicle not designed to support them.

You will also tie up a contended resource pulling just 3kW from a 43kW source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts