Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've noticed recently that my first gen leaf will charge up to the standard 80-90% on a rapid charger, however when it has done so the car readouts such as time to 100% doesn't work and the SOC indicator bars are always vastly different.

I've attached a picture which might be a bit more clear.

charger.jpg

Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yup. :)

With the Mk1 if you start a standard charge at under 50% SOC then it will stop at about 80% but if you start with the SOC over 50% it go to full.

Also, for the 80% I sometimes get 9 bars... sometimes 10.

Also, the charger reads about 10% higher than the actual charge state so when it stops at 80% the charger will say about 90%... if you charge to full it then quickly goes to 97% when the car is about 87% and the display just sticks at 97% while the car charges up to near full.

All in all the display on the rapid chargers isn't very reliable with a Mk1 but I have heard that it is much better with the Mk2.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The time to 100% charge indicator, if the car is at 80% though shouldn't this read out around 1:30 instead of --:-- because it's not fully charged.

Also wasn't there an update issued by Nissan to be installed on Mk1 Leafs to update the SOC indicators?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
PS I should have also mentioned that I have had the car charge to near full but the SOC only show 10 bars! This has only happened when I have had the car powered up while charging.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Is your car set to stop charging at 80% in the settings? Mine is, and the moment the 80% charge is reached, all three blue charging lights are lit. This confused me initially as I expected that to indicate a 100% charge, and not to be changeable depending upon user-controlled options.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your car set to stop charging at 80% in the settings? Mine is, and the moment the 80% charge is reached, all three blue charging lights are lit. This confused me initially as I expected that to indicate a 100% charge, and not to be changeable depending upon user-controlled options.
Is this modifiable?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS I should have also mentioned that I have had the car charge to near full but the SOC only show 10 bars! This has only happened when I have had the car powered up while charging.
I generally have my car powered up because I'm normally listening to music or doing some work in my car.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It should indicate the time to charge... I agree.

I have not heard of the software update :)

All 3 blue lights I take to mean charge complete... rather than full. This is not modifiable nor is the 80% setting. It is confusing though.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I generally have my car powered up because I'm normally listening to music or doing some work in my car.
In that case you may be suffering from the same issue I have in that having the car on when charging seems to confuse the system and the SOC display and Time to Charge gets messed up. try without the car powered up at all and see if it then works as expected.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You can find it after pressing the "Zero emissions" button and then "Settings". At least, that's how you do it in a Gen 2 Leaf. I'm naively assuming that the menus are the same.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In that case you may be suffering from the same issue I have in that having the car on when charging seems to confuse the system and the SOC display and Time to Charge gets messed up. try without the car powered up at all and see if it then works as expected.
These should be things that Nissan should update in software, I don't understand why they can't push the Mk2 software down to Mk1 Leafs, there are still big benefits to the Mk2 so it wouldn't inhibit sales.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just checked as well.

<Zero emissions>

<Settings>

then the 4th menu item is 80% charge option with an off/on toggle button.

My son can remember these things without having to go out to the car and start it up.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just checked... no, nothing there on my Mk1. Menus must be different. :)
If it's not on Zero Emissions/Settings/Long Life Mode then maybe it's on the dash menu (the one where you toggle the dash display using the Square and Dot keys):
charge80.JPG

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I just checked as well.

<Zero emissions>

<Settings>

then the 4th menu item is 80% charge option with an off/on toggle button.

My son can remember these things without having to go out to the car and start it up.
Not on mine !

Mine is only available on the Timer so it isn't available to charge to 80% on the Timer Override (immediate charge) button.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@flipper That is for models without navigation :) I thought all Mk1 cars have navigation so that must be instructions for Mk2.

I think that on Mk1 cars the 80% is only selectable on the Charge Timer.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
@flipper That is for models without navigation :) I thought all Mk1 cars have navigation so that must be instructions for Mk2.

I think that on Mk1 cars the 80% is only selectable on the Charge Timer.
It's from a US manual so there are differences, I thought it was worth a punt. :)

Reactions: Paul_Moxhay

·
Super Moderator
7,529 Posts
These should be things that Nissan should update in software, I don't understand why they can't push the Mk2 software down to Mk1 Leafs, there are still big benefits to the Mk2 so it wouldn't inhibit sales.
They could, but they want you to buy a new car. *grumbles*

1 - 18 of 18 Posts