Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sanity check, am I right to be annoyed if someone leaves their fully charged car in a rapid charger bay? The two idiots I just argued with seemed to think it was totally ok and could not understand my annoyance. This has happened to me twice this bank holiday weekend in two separate locations, I’m new to EV but have to admit this behaviour is really giving me second thoughts. Photo attached

Attachments

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
It depends on how long i suppose. People can lose track of time but at the very least if that was the case they should be contrite.
But ultimately what do the T&Cs of the charging spot state?
Its selfish, its poor etiquette, its a poor use of limited resources.

Reactions: rossnruss

·
Registered
330 Posts
That’s an odd one. I think that’s a hotel in Salford Quays?

Most Polar chargers have a very clear sign up that says there is a 90-minute maximum stay with a £100 overstay ‘charge’.

If I’m correct about the location, that particular hotel makes you register at reception (so I’d have taken it up with them) and as a result they don‘t have the standard Polar 90-minute signs in place. So they’re probably missing out on a juicy £100 from the Ioniq owner.

Over the bank holiday weekend I’ve twice charged to 100% on Polar rapids and I was shocked at how long the last 10% took but I wanted the full range for the journey the following morning and it was literally the difference between getting all the way there without charging or having to stop for a few minutes and charge up. As I was eating in the restaurant that hosted the charger anyway, I didn’t really see an issue with ‘hogging’ the charger for 70-80 minutes although one chap in an Audi eTron tried to tell me that you should never charge your car over 80% on a rapid. I get his point, but ultimately, Polar seem to be victims of their own success at the moment. They definitely make all the other rapid providers look very expensive when you compare their £0.15/kW (50kW) or £0.27/kW (150kW+) with subscription cost to everyone else‘s £0.23 - £0.45 per kW without subscription.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,761 Posts
Turn up plug in, log in to PlugShare app
If some one then turns up and joins the queue via the same app, you’ll know

However the person likely to sit on a rapid for over 90mins not charging is likely to be someone who could not be arsed to use an app with the word “share” in its title.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It is down to charge point owners to set desired use behaviours via tarrifs and enforcement and why I will aim for more expensive multi-charger locations rather than cheaper single units.

I am not convinced by the 'I need 100% to complete my journey arguments' - it is normally always quicker to splash and dash further down the road, and it is surprising how often 100% isn't 'needed' when it is more expensive than an alternative option. If you are regularly finding that you 'need' 100% to complete a leg of a journey, may I venture you are driving the wrong car or not planning well.

I'm surprised that an eTron owner should mention the 80% thing when they are one of the few vehicles than continue to charge at impressive speeds beyond 90%.

Always try and put yourself in the position of the person waiting for the charge. I have no problem waiting for a charger if someone has got there first and is charging at a high rate, and I can usually estimate how long it will be before their charge rate slows, but do start to get annoyed if they are there for a long and indeterminate time 'sipping' power. No point arguing though - just avoid that location in the future and hope when you next pull up to an occupied charger you are behind someone like me rather than someone like them.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
688 Posts
No it isn't ok. It's pretty bad etiquette to hog a charger if you are only sipping charge too and someone is waiting. Sessions should be limited to 45 minutes or less, like ecotricity.
The selfish proportion of the population have yet to adopt EVs in large numbers, but when they do there is going to be lots more of these issues.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts

Most Polar chargers have a very clear sign up that says there is a 90-minute maximum stay with a £100 overstay ‘charge’.
£100 overstay charge seems a bit extreme ??!

What if the charger aborts the charge early on through no fault of your own and the overstay timer counts from when the charge "ended" ?

Why not add an automated wheel clamper as well ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
330 Posts
£100 overstay charge seems a bit extreme ??!

What if the charger aborts the charge early on through no fault of your own and the overstay timer counts from when the charge "ended" ?

Why not add an automated wheel clamper as well ? :rolleyes:
I don’t make the rules...

And if it’s the hotel I think it is, they’re operating an ANPR scheme where if you register, you can park for free as a day visitor for 8 hours and as a ‘patron’ for 24 hours by entering your registration number at reception. They only get a bit difficult when Manchester United are playing at home as the hotel is in easy walking distance of Old Trafford.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No it isn't ok. It's pretty bad etiquette to hog a charger if you are only sipping charge too and someone is waiting. Sessions should be limited to 45 minutes or less, like ecotricity.
The selfish proportion of the population have yet to adopt EVs in large numbers, but when they do there is going to be lots more of these issues.
So what am I supposed to do when my employer only pays for Polar charging and there isn’t another Polar charger In range? Shell out for Ionity to save someone waiting 25 minutes? I don‘t think so.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I don’t make the rules...

And if it’s the hotel I think it is, they’re operating an ANPR scheme where if you register, you can park for free as a day visitor for 8 hours and as a ‘patron’ for 24 hours by entering your registration number at reception. They only get a bit difficult when Manchester United are playing at home as the hotel is in easy walking distance of Old Trafford.

you said

i said
That is not true is £10

so yes Polar/Pulse charge £10 overstay not £100

if the car park owner seys some higher charge for using the car park thats nothing to do with polar/pulse

The sign in the photo has nothing to do with charging or the charging bay its a general fee (Will not say fine as it is not legally one) imposed for using the car park without registering at reception, they put one by the charger as people were not registering, now there is no excuse.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
So what am I supposed to do when my employer only pays for Polar charging and there isn’t another Polar charger In range? Shell out for Ionity to save someone waiting 25 minutes? I don‘t think so.
if your time is critical then its bad business for your employer to be relying on a network that almost wholly runs its networks on single rapid chargers in locations that are prone for ICEing or overstaying and the person paying for the charging needs to look at using a reliable multi charger based solution rather than the "Budget" One.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,161 Posts
This is one of the reasons I stopped using Polar as a default, yes it’s cheap, but the single nature of their units and their common locations in hotel car parks etc means there’s nearly always a hotel guest on them and they’re often blocked for hours and hours as a result.

I’d just started using one in a hotel car park near Doncaster once, a guy rocked up in an i3 and pointedly asked me if I was a guest as he was and would be needing the charger over night thank you very much.

He ended up complaining to reception and was very annoyed when he came back after being told it was a public charger on private ground, and I was within my rights to be there.

It works both way, I was only using it to continue my journey, but entitled people are everywhere.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
130 Posts
The Ioniq28 stops rapid charging at 94% and are fairly fast to charge compared to the 38, does it unlock when it finishes?

·
Registered
330 Posts
It is down to charge point owners to set desired use behaviours via tarrifs and enforcement and why I will aim for more expensive multi-charger locations rather than cheaper single units.

I am not convinced by the 'I need 100% to complete my journey arguments' - it is normally always quicker to splash and dash further down the road, and it is surprising how often 100% isn't 'needed' when it is more expensive than an alternative option. If you are regularly finding that you 'need' 100% to complete a leg of a journey, may I venture you are driving the wrong car or not planning well.
My employer supplied my car, a Hyundai Kona, and my Polar subscription too and they only pay for Polar charging away from home. So within the constraints placed upon me, ABRP fairly often calculates that 100% charge is a requirement to get me to the next Polar charger with 15% remaining as a safety margin.

I don‘t believe there is a car on the market that better suits my needs in terms of range but it does want a little in terms of charging speed. Even so, it will comfortably go from 10% to 100% on a 50kW Polar charger in the allowed 90 minutes. Where possible I always set off from home with 100% but unsurprisingly that only gets me so far. I agree that the fastest theoretical means of progress is charge to 80% then move on, and I try to do that whenever there is a Polar charger (or destination charger) is within range, but that’s not every single time.

·
Registered
330 Posts
if your time is critical then its bad business for your employer to be relying on a network that almost wholly runs its networks on single rapid chargers in locations that are prone for ICEing or overstaying and the person paying for the charging needs to look at using a reliable multi charger based solution rather than the "Budget" One.
I don‘t think my time is that critical. Hence I’m quite happy to sit at a charger for an extra 25 minutes to get that last 13kW. And I have to say, I‘ve very rarely encountered any issues with Polar other than that they are very popular because they’re cheap and several manufacturers/lease companies bundled Polar subscriptions. That said, they are putting in more and more chargers and faster 150kW (27p/kW) chargers that my car really can’t make good use of. Locally to me they have 3 150kW rapids on the A140 at Diss and they’ve just gained permission to install 3 150kW rapids at the BP station in Thetford.

At the units I generally charge at (2 units around Chesterfield, one in Carlisle the one at Mildenhall and one in Enderby near Leicester) they are all indicating £100 overstay fees. And there is no possibility that Polar could charge you anything over the 90 minutes because the charging session stops at 89 minutes and if you restart the charge, they don‘t charge you anything extra (because I‘ve done it on an iPace). Polar will print whatever the landowner requests on the signs by the chargers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

If I’m correct about the location, that particular hotel makes you register at reception (so I’d have taken it up with them) and as a result they don‘t have the standard Polar 90-minute signs in place. So they’re probably missing out on a juicy £100 from the Ioniq owner.

Over the bank holiday weekend I’ve twice charged to 100% on Polar rapids and I was shocked at how long the last 10% took but I wanted the full range for the journey the following morning and it was literally the difference between getting all the way there without charging or having to stop for a few minutes and charge up. As I was eating in the restaurant that hosted the charger anyway, I didn’t really see an issue with ‘hogging’ the charger for 70-80 minutes although one chap in an Audi eTron tried to tell me that you should never charge your car over 80% on a rapid. I get his point, but ultimately, Polar seem to be victims of their own success at the moment. They definitely make all the other rapid providers look very expensive when you compare their £0.15/kW (50kW) or £0.27/kW (150kW+) with subscription cost to everyone else‘s £0.23 - £0.45 per kW without subscription.
You’re quite right it is in Salford quays at a hotel, I did speak to reception, they also thought it was selfish to use a rapid charger in such a way but held no details about the driver beyond their registered registration plate number. Coincidentally the driver claim to be under 90 minutes, I was waiting half an hour so can only conclude he was topping it up. That’s totally fine, but I would want to stay with the charger if it’s a short charge to make sure the charger is available for others as soon as I’m done. Going to have to get used to this I guess as I suspect it will be a while before we seem the likes of multiple 350 kw chargers and even if we did most cars can’t charge at that rate.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts