Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the definitive list of locations that that this network is rolling out this year?

·
Super Moderator
11,827 Posts
They plan to get the rest of the Motorway services done this year.

A roads, other then the two the just went in, are going to be awhile. The rest of the planned A road locations need electrical service upgrades.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Isn't there a rider on that "that have the supply capacity"?

Is there a list of those that WON'T be done?

I've heard previous mention that Strensham, Sandbach and Hartshead West are all capacity limited. Anyone heard anything about Forton?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, Stensham is capacity limited. I am really waiting for a rapid between Gloucester and Birmingham. Frankley is the furthest south!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Yep I have also heard Strensham is capacity limited.

Which means tonight I have to double back on Frankley services to charge on the north side (south is still down) . And double back again and take my time to the next south rapid which is Michaelwood, that's nearly 60 miles!

Strensham really does need upgrading as it gives the people in South Wales the option to cut across to the M50 and avoid the bridge when travelling to the Midlands.

220'od miles is going to be fun to tonight. Let's just hope Frankley North is working or I'm sleeping in the car tonight. No other options as 2/3 rapids are out of action in Birmingham atm!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Turns out last night's drive wasn't too bad. I pulled into Frankley south to try the rapid, even though on the ecotricity site it said it was down. Thankfully it worked!

Also I left Gloucester Michaelwood services with a nice 95% charge (because i fell asleep in the car ☺)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The $64 is question did they budget for the capacity upgrades? Obvious they didn't include that in announced schedule. Fingers crossed.
When you say "they" do you mean Ecotricity?

They must realise that some installations will need capacity upgrades and will budget for this. The only thing I can think of is that they are doing the "easy" installs first, with two rapids at each location.

Then hopefully prioritise what locations need capacity upgrades for installation of 2+ rapids.

Would be great if Ecotricity could install 2 rapids at the majority of locations as a minimum tbh. It gives the driver so much confidence to arrive at a location to charge and not think about what if this rapid doesn't work will I make it to the next one. Exciting times and I can't wait to see a rapid at every service station!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
No they is the partnership with the EU and manufacturers with Nissan giving most money as the lead.

Notice 2 more locations live this week. Up from 13 to 15. Stafford North most recent. Not sure the other.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
No they is the partnership with the EU and manufacturers with Nissan giving most money as the lead.

Notice 2 more locations live this week. Up from 13 to 15. Stafford North most recent. Not sure the other.
Cool, I used Stafford North last week and seen the cables protruding out of the ground ready for install.

Someone needs to tell the service station manager to cut the bush on the right hand side of the rapid. I parked on the RHS to use the rapid and could hardly open the door and got pricked to hell and back haha.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well the rcn page says 16 live but their map shows 14....any guesses as to the two they are about to add to the map?!

Birmingham approaches from North seem comprehensively covered with redundancy. And Stafford North makes
You notice how long one side of Keele has been broken a little less. At least Keele has level 2 cover...m

·
Registered
721 Posts
Not sure how they're counting the '74'. Stafford North was a doubling up rather than a completely new point, yet shows as the latest chargepoint. Hilton park North and South are doubles, so did they count as 4?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I decided to work out where the 16 count came from at the weekend by working out what they were. Looks like a location on the RCN gets counted if it gets a charger installed April onwards. So two new chargers at Hilton Park Northbound 01/10 counted as one, as did a second charger at Stafford Northbound 03/10.

And I got and answer to my Forton query: probably November.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts