Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just picked up my i3 and whenever i try and connect to a rapid charger a warning sign comes up on the dash saying not enough power is coming though (or similar). I've gone to charge settings and lower the speed to average instead of Max. I tried 7 different charging points at wesfield London and they all said the same as well as oxford services on the m40 yesterday. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I googled the question but no help. thanks

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Which option of i3 did you get? I don't own one but I'm sure I've read that one gets the rapid charge option and one doesn't.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
To charge an i3 rapidly on a rapid charger you need CCS - a cost option (DC Rapid Charge preparation).
This will allow you to charge ~80% in less than 30 minutes
Ecotricity have CCS chargers

All i3s have "fast" AC charging which is ~7kW and will take 3.5 hours to fully charge on a 7kW point. (and you'll need to buy a cable such as the blue BMW onw)

You *can* plug the i3 into a Ecotricity rapid charger AC output (which has it's own cable) but
- you'll only charge at "fast" speeds - 3.5hrs
- it tends to be tempremantal (partly due to the weight on the connector)- but I've never tried since
- you are tying up a scarce resource intended for *rapid* use

There's a bit to learn, feel free to ask any questions :)

·
BEV road warrior
662 Posts
That message means the signal pins are not quite touching during the initialisation. Due to the heavy weight of the AC cable it pulls the plastic plate of the i3 port slightly.

100% guaranteed solution is to slightly lift the plug nozzle to apply a little upwards pressure during the flashing yellow initialisation phase. Once it turns blue you can let go. This is on AC only. If you don't have DC it's only worth it if you are staying for 2 hours. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I also recently started to get this issue with the AC plugs. Its so annoying, sometimes the only way I can get a charge to start is to unplug, move the car forward, then back and try again holding the charge cable up.

I am going to take it into BMW to see if theres anything they can do as its a total faff sometimes starting a AC charge.

·
BEV road warrior
662 Posts
I don't think moving the car makes a material difference. Sometimes if you have unlocked the car and locked it that can initiate the charge. Lifting the plug is the key. Once it's failed with the flashing red you have to start the whole sequence from scratch. Also don't plug into the i3 until you have initiated the EVSE end. Sometimes the i3 is too quick to regard the signal as incorrect before the EVSE gets going. It's a known "issue" between the implementation in the DBT EVSE and the i3. It doesn't happen with other EVSE. So this combination of pin contact and handshake is what causes it. I don't think the dealers have any idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts