Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
7,755 Posts
B250e had plenty.

Since 100% full was only an 80% full battery ;)
Zoe also only has some at 100% SOC. It doesn't warn you that though it just shows on the gauge as not more than 1 segment of regen even under heavy braking.

I don't see reduced regen as a bad thing at a high SOC, I mean it at least gives your discs are work out and cleans them up once a full charge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
James Coates suggests at 80% it drops to 24kW then tapers down til finishing at 100% taking 6-7kW.

This suggests an unusable buffer which will protect cell life.

I expect at least a couple of kWh as regen apparently works even at full battery.
It is normal for EVs to throttle back the charge rate above 80% charge it is a characteristic of the LiON battery chemistry. Any car which appears to go full bore to 100% will have an undeclared capacity above the 100% Full the user sees. In that 80%-100% of charge characteristics mean that cells heat rapidly at higher charge rates. You should really only slow charge on the home 7kW charge point. Also BTW if you take the charge down to 0% the internal resistance of the cells will reduce charge rate and heat the battery. You should for Rapid Charging on a Road Trip plan on the basis of 70% of the range so that you Rapid Charge from 10% to 80% to minimise the time charging on the trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zoe also only has some at 100% SOC. It doesn't warn you that though it just shows on the gauge as not more than 1 segment of regen even under heavy braking.

I don't see reduced regen as a bad thing at a high SOC, I mean it at least gives your discs are work out and cleans them up once a full charge.
I don't see this as an issue: 1st its normal after all, where is it going to go if the battery is full. 2nd, Regen can create really quite high charge rates 40 to 50 kW it would be like Rapid Charging a nearly full battery and could cause damage. 3rd Regen is fun but not as efficient as actually coasting, learn to drive with minimum KERS for a smoother ride by planning ahead and allowing the energy you've taken out of the battery to get you moving do its job and keep you moving. Regen is far less than 100% efficient - moving by using that kinetic energy.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,755 Posts
3rd Regen is fun but not as efficient as actually coasting
I love this argument. It is in effect pointless. If you need to slow down then coasting isn't an effective method. Reading the road ahead may mean you can coast and slow, but ultimately you only use regen when you need to slow, quickly. No one appreciates following a dawdling EV that's taken an extra mile to slow down on a free flowing road.

You can't generally coast down a hill stretch of road without gaining speed, so the given speed limit is when you have to switch from coasting to breaking. Using regen is better than brakes.

The fact is I don't understand why people always say "but coasting is better than regen". Regen is a form of braking, coasting isn't.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Turning on max regen is perfect for stop-go traffic but as the maximum efficiency of regen is about 40% round trip battery to motion to regen back to the battery it can't be as efficient as lifting off. The lowest KERS setting is on the ZS EV similar to lifting off in a petrol car without dropping through the gears. I'm not proposing crawling but just adopting a smoother driving style that is more comfortable for your passengers and gets more out of the - let's be honest - quite limited range of the MG which hasn't anything like the efficiency of the Hyundai/Kia drive-train.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regen is a form of braking, coasting isn't.
Yes, but due to regen's limited efficiency, it's best to use ANY braking only when you actually need it (the normal brakes are 0% efficient at energy return). Otherwise, it causes unnecessary loses.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,755 Posts
Turning on max regen is perfect for stop-go traffic but as the maximum efficiency of regen is about 40% round trip battery to motion to regen back to the battery it can't be as efficient as lifting off. The lowest KERS setting is on the ZS EV similar to lifting off in a petrol car without dropping through the gears. I'm not proposing crawling but just adopting a smoother driving style that is more comfortable for your passengers and gets more out of the - let's be honest - quite limited range of the MG which hasn't anything like the efficiency of the Hyundai/Kia drive-train.
What EV do you currently drive?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Whilst I might agree that coasting will ultimately use less energy than using regen, In my real world driving, 99% of the time coasting is just not an option. My driving is around South London, motorways and Surrey & Sussex lanes.
My aim is to never use the brakes unless necessary. I almost always drive in B mode in my Leaf 40 as I did in my Leaf 24. My yearly average according to the car was 4.3miles/kWh on Michelin CrossClimate tyres.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts