Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all just got Zoe ze 50 110 with rapid charge on took it to 2 chargers both 50kwh and only charged at 20kwh won't go over temp outside -1c is this the issue or is there something else and at the moment when I put in b mode comes on with warning saying limited charge to battery

·
Registered
795 Posts
There is no issue.. cold weather and a cold battery will reduce the power being drawn in order to protect the battery.. also will depend on how much charge was remaining in the battery when you start to charge. I'm assuming you used CCS.
If the battery is close to full.85% or more. I can't remember exactly, I'm sure somebody will tell us, you will get this message as the regen does not use it's full capacity in B mode till the battery has dropped below that figure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes on the CCS battery was on 40% just got it Monday and never got over 1c here so battery cold if I go for a run in the car will this heat battery up

·
Registered
795 Posts
I'm not sure how much the battery would heat up tbh... But I don't think there is an issue with the car. It's just weather related .. if you had only 10% battery remaining it would have probably charged at a higher rate for a while, not but would have throttled back as the battery was filling up.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,982 Posts
Hi all just got Zoe ze 50 110 with rapid charge on took it to 2 chargers both 50kwh and only charged at 20kwh won't go over temp outside -1c is this the issue or is there something else and at the moment when I put in b mode comes on with warning saying limited charge to battery
Note that even under warmer conditions, the Zoe won’t charge much above 32 kW on CCS.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,682 Posts
Zoe won’t charge much above 32 kW on CCS
My newest Zoe is managing 44-45kW with a warm battery and low SOC. First ZE50 I had was even worse than you describe however, 16-20kW on CCS was my average.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,682 Posts
Yes on the CCS battery was on 40% just got it Monday and never got over 1c here so battery cold if I go for a run in the car will this heat battery up
40% is too high. You need to be below 20% and with a nice warm battery. From cold, that means at least 20 miles on the motorway at 70 just before plugging in to a rapid charger in winter to get anywhere close to a temperature where you will take on a good rate of charge into the battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys will give it a run then try
As anyone used the canZe app and is it any good

·
Registered
512 Posts
Note that even under warmer conditions, the Zoe won’t charge much above 32 kW on CCS.
40% is too high. You need to be below 20% and with a nice warm battery. From cold, that means at least 20 miles on the motorway at 70 just before plugging in to a rapid charger in winter to get anywhere close to a temperature where you will take on a good rate of charge into the battery.
I’ve never had an issue. Always 45kWh upto around 60% and then slowly reducing after. The battery definitely doesn’t coldgate.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Cos there is also this image which more accurately reflects my experience with a warm battery last September:
View attachment 139639
Yes, the thing to remember is with a cold battery it does take longer to ramp up but will maintain 45kWh upto around 60% once it’s up and going.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
@AndrewC excellent graph you’ve shared there. Much better reflection of my own charge speed experience too. The earlier FastNed one seems a bit pessimistic.
I thought CanZE didn’t work well with the ZE50?

@Freaky the limited charge in B mode tells you the battery is really cold. If the car can’t put much charge into the battery from regen braking, there’s little chance a rapid charger will do any better. The sure fire way of warming up the battery is what Bjørn Nyland refers to as “Yo-Yo-ing”. Basically many repeated heavy acceleration then heavy regeneration; even 20 mins at 70 on the motorway may not get the battery properly toasty. I’ve had low charge rates when it has been cold, but in the summer still got above 40kW plugging in around 50%.

Cold weather isn’t good for batteries, which are just a chemical reaction after all. Next time try a long run first and then arriving with a lower state of charge.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Even that FastNed graph from the 150kW is a little low on the initial rate at low SOC than my one of my summer charges. I got just under 45kW at 8% SOC when plugging in, but that had slowly dropped to around 42kW at 50%. It averaged 44kW overall going from 8% to 49% in 27 minutes. A significant improvement on the 20kW max we used to see in the ZE40. At that point, just to test it, I unplugged and moved to another charger 1 mile up the road. On plugging in at 50%, I was getting 41kW. Air temp that day was around 13oC and I’d not driven far before charging, so perhaps the battery only needs to be above 10 or so to perform as expected?

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
261 Posts
Out of interest what gear would you recommend (from a dongle point of view)?
I got this one from Amazon and it is working really well.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,982 Posts
I’ve never had an issue. Always 45kWh upto around 60% and then slowly reducing after. The battery definitely doesn’t coldgate.
There are a lot of variables.

Certainly it seems to average around mid 30s kW.

On my local rapid it's firmly fixed at 32 kW. I'll make a note if this changes in warmer temps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the Zoe charging rate on a 22kW AC charger similarly affected by battery temperature and SOC? Are there any graphs to compare AC charging with rapid charging?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts