Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Having had my very first ever ev (hyundai ioniq) for a mere 2 days I'm about to embark on my first motorway journey from Oldham (where I am based) to the east of London later this week. That's about 260miles one way. Its a journey I do often, usually every fortnight but first time in the EV.

Must say I am a little nervous as I know I will have to rapid charge probably twice enroute (hyundai quotes the range on full charge to be 190miles).

Does any one do any similar journeys down this route? I will really appreciate any info on rapid charging locations and any general tips and gotchas I should look out for and be prepared for.

I must add that my Mrs loves her heating and heated seats through the journey so I know the energy consumption will probably be on the higher side (it will just be the two of us in the car though and no one in the back seats).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi All

Having had my very first ever ev (hyundai ioniq) for a mere 2 days I'm about to embark on my first motorway journey from Oldham (where I am based) to the east of London later this week. That's about 260miles one way. Its a journey I do often, usually every fortnight but first time in the EV.

Must say I am a little nervous as I know I will have to rapid charge probably twice enroute (hyundai quotes the range on full charge to be 190miles).

Does any one do any similar journeys down this route? I will really appreciate any info on rapid charging locations and any general tips and gotchas I should look out for and be prepared for.

I must add that my Mrs loves her heating and heated seats through the journey so I know the energy consumption will probably be on the higher side (it will just be the two of us in the car though and no one in the back seats).

Many thanks.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Use Zapmap, either Android, Apple or the desk top version
It has a route planner page.
Put the details of your journey, vehicle and type of chargers you want to use and it will suggest where the best ones are over the course of your journey, both to optimise how short you actually stop, but more importantly which are actually working from real-time feedback from other EV users, IIRC.

This should give you the info required

https://www.zap-map.com/route-planner/

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well it’s nothing to worry about but leave plenty of time for the journey. Don’t have time restraints like booked appointments to give you extra stress.
Take a blanket umbrella and a sense of humour.

Seriously drive about 100 miles stop for about twenty minute charge toilet n coffee. If Warwick services doesn’t work don’t worry go onto next services etc etc then repeat. Splash n dash gives total journey time of worst case scenario of five hours.

Just enjoy the journey,.we used to do Manchester to Brugge before lockdown at least four times a year for three years no problem. Worst part was traffic and roadworks in uk and yellow vests in France .

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,684 Posts
Rather than Zap Map, I would recommend ABRP (A Better Routeplanner) app or website. It takes into account real world conditions and tends to be super accurate in terms of range estimates, as well as telling you where to charge and exactly how long for.

On longer journeys like these, you want to try and run the battery fairly low and stop charging as soon as it really slows down. The newest Ioniq is not especially fast when it comes to rapid charging, so you'll likely find that it may work out a little quicker to unplug at 65-70% each time, drive further and plug in again, rather than charging to 80-90% taking much longer but only getting you a little further down the road.

Make sure you have the apps or membership cards necessary for charging at the locations along the way. The Electric Highway app is a good start since they are at all the motorway services. They have a bad reputation but aren't actually terrible with Hyundai. They mostly work in my experience but definitely make sure you have a plan B nearby just in case.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Another suggestion for you: download WattsUp to find your rapid charging options. All chargers will be compatible with your vehicle. And, rather than an algorithm guessing where you might stop, we show you all the chargers en route which will allow you to decide when to stop.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
187 Posts
I do this route a lot but go further down to the south coast in my Ioniq 28.

If it were me I would go across to the M1 at Sheffield and take the A57 across to the A1.
The A1 is really well served with multi charger 4+ locations so will take any worry out of the trip for you.

You should be fine sticking with just Instavolt on this route.
As an example southbound you have 2 Instavolt and 4 Shell at Markham Moor. 2 Instavolt, 2 Osprey and 6 Ionity at Peterborough and 4 Shell just south of Huntingdon.

You can use all those on the way back but swap the 2 Instavolt at Markham Moor for the 4 Instavolt at Elkesley.

Those are also all contactless apart from Ionity.

I second the suggestion for ABRP. It's a great tool to plan your route.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all. Thank you so much for the responses. I'm going to be planning my route for the Friday journey based on the suggestions above and will post it here for further advice. Unfortunately I've not had time to register for any cards so I'm hoping I'll be able do it via the apps.

One thing I want to check it is that would I be using the ABRP as my navigation app too or just for planning the route? If that's the case I need to arrange a phone holder also. Would be great if the app integrated with the car via android auto but I haven played around with that at all yet. Though that's a secondary issue :)

Also I've seen some news articles about some rapid chargers popping up on Corley services on the m6. Has anyone actually seen/used these?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts